[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the graphic doesnt say that Turkey and Luxemburg are similar, but how similar to Australia they are. Maybe Turkey and Luxemburg are different to Australia in opposite ways or something.

Well, the graphic doesnt say that Turkey and Luxemburg are similar, but how similar to Australia they are. Maybe Turkey and Luxemburg are different to Australia in opposite ways or something.

Ahhhh
you are right :)

If you put all slides at zero, and move only one slide to a value, it becomes all more transparant, and a fast way to compare Australia on individual indicators.
So far, what I did in that way, it makes sense.

Ah, should have checked the blog post.
But given the criteria, it's basically a measurement of wealth. Could as well have used the GDP as proxy. Would probably not have changed too much.

yes
was my first take as well
nothing cultural or root leading indicators, nothing on final top indicators like satisfactions.... not even education value for the productivity.... only hard demographic and money indicators.

Salt isn't bad for you unless you have preexisting health issues like high blood pressure. I think it's a correlation because prepackaged and processed foods are extremely high in sodium. Most people who eat too much sodium eat a lot of processed foods, which are not very healthy. I believe that is why. If you ate vegetables and fruits and lean meats and salted the heck out of them with table salt, well first it would taste terrible, but you would be fine because it's not just sodium, it's lack of all the other nutrients in those foods. Also sugar, eating too much sugar affects your kidneys which can decrease your ability to process salt.

I also never understood why the hell do we need whole grains? You don't, you absolutely do not need any grains at all in your diet. The issue is fiber and western diets don't include enough fruit and vegetables to satisfy fiber requirements.

If you think that high salt isn't bad for you, you're just incorrect. Consistently playing with the osmotic and chemotactic pressure of your innards causes the long-term damage. Eventually that exposes itself through an increase in blood pressure.

We cut sodium after the blood pressure issue is exposed, because we like to close the Barn Door after the horse has fled

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(19)30041-8/fulltext this massive study from last week, published in the most prestigious medical journal out there, indicates you are wrong ;).
Apparently every nation on this planet is consuming too much salt, and it costs us life time. Same for too little fruits, and too little whole grain.
Data might not reliable in all cases, but most of it should be somewhat okay, and the results are not really surprising.

Yeah I saw that too. Their range of acceptable sodium consumption is 1-5g. That is double what the heart association recommends. Who the hell is eating 5g of salt a day? That is a ton of sodium. For example a whole big mac meal is around 1500 mg. So you'd need to eat that three times a day to get close to 5. Or a whole can of cambells tomato soup is 1100 mg.

Salt is about 40% sodium. Just something to watch out for.

As I said earlier, it is easiest just to compare the sodium mg to the food calories. We already know how to monitor our calories

For example, my Taco Bell bean burrito with three hot sauce packets is less than 400 calories, but over 1,200 milligrams of salt. I can casually eat three in one sitting, or 5 if I'm treating myself.

Notice how the calories are not a problem

Last edited:
Table salt is sodium chloride. Just like table sugar is sucrose. Just like table calories are 1000 calories..

There was debate in the cardiovascular literature about whether the osmotic damage from sodium chloride was the main contributing factor, or if it was the inbalance between the sodium and the potassium ions generated by eating too much table salt. Potassium chloride is also salt. Just not table salt. An incredible number of your cellular processes are regulated by the sodium potassium ratio

Table salt is sodium chloride. Just like table sugar is sucrose. Just like table calories are 1000 calories..

There was debate in the cardiovascular literature about whether the osmotic damage from sodium chloride was the main contributing factor, or if it was the inbalance between the sodium and the potassium ions generated by eating too much table salt. Potassium chloride is also salt. Just not table salt. An incredible number of your cellular processes are regulated by the sodium potassium ratio
So is "lo-salt", which is 1/3rd sodium chloride and 2/3rds potassium chloride, much better for you? That would be an easy lifestyle change.

So is "lo-salt", which is 1/3rd sodium chloride and 2/3rds potassium chloride, much better for you? That would be an easy lifestyle change.

No idea. I've lost track of the discussion. When I was paying attention to it, it was all being done in Petri dishes with excised aortic vessels. It would taste much less salty as well, since it's the sodium that triggers our salt receptor.

My favorite metric really is the ratio of the sodium to the calories. It goes a long way. Once you get above double, you know to not over consume. And to pay attention to what you next

I use lo-salt since decades to reduce Sodium where possible. And although I do not use that much with most cooking, I love salt on my boiled egg, on my french fries, on just bread with butter (or olive oil) and pepper etc.
It tastes a little bit more bitter.
For adults: daily adequate Sodium 1,500 mg (or 3,800 mg NaCl salt), daily adequate Potassium 4,700 mg (or 9,000 mg KCl salt). Roundabout in that lo-salt that same 1:2 rate as the recommendation of the Linus Pauling Institute.
For both double that recommended amount seems unwise to me. Although with Potassium from natural sources like vegetable food I do not feel worried about it.
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/sodium
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/potassium

As you say: both have as negative ion chloride. Sodium and Potassium, the positive ions, strongly alcalic, Chloride strongly acidic. => net effect in solution a neutral pH of 7.
Food sources of Sodium are mostly animal and food sources of Potassium are mostly vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds.
We need both whereby our body, kidneys, are very effective in retaining Sodium if we eat little of it. Our body is not that carefull about retaining Potassium. Not because it is unimportant, but because we got in our evolutionary food apparently always enough Potassium !
Our current food pattern is mostly at the low end of our Potassium need (and carbonate need)

Now.. that would suggest that by using lo-salt you strike two flies with one stroke.
But that is not really the case.
Our body also needs enough food with carbonates. If we eat not enough carbonates our body becomes too acid (whereby our metabolism can keep that normally within an acceptable bandwidth from enabling compensating processes)
If our blood becomes too acidic, it appears we get a higher inflammation level, ageing goes faster etc. More wear and tear.
In natural food Sodium is mostly bound to chloride, and Potassium to the negtive ion carbonate. Carbonate weakly acidic => net effect of a strong alcalic ion + a weak acidic ion is a alcaline effect (a pH lower than 7).

Our body wants enough carbonates (vegetables, fruit, potato, banana) and wants enough Potassium (vegetables, fruit, nuts, seed, potato, banana). If you eat so much vegetables that you get enough Potassium, you also get enough carbonates.
Lo-salt a convenient and cheap way to compensate the too high Sodium in so many processed foods.

EDIT
oh... be aware that there is also lo-salt with Jodium.
If you eat enough bread (where usually in many countries Jodium is added), or eat fish, you can expect to get enough Jodium. But if you have replaced bread with cereals and eat little or no fish, you have almost no Jodium anymore in your food.
Using lo-salt with Jodium is a nice way to handle that better. (and too much Jodium from the as such small amount of Jodium in lo-salt improbable)

Last edited:
Some salt is in nearly everything.
As well as sugars (even if I'm not chemically pedantic about the meaning of "sugar").
So you'll always get a bit of it from like everywhere.

J...
@Samson posted this two pages ago (on the 4th, a day after release).
To my understanding this is why we are talking about nutrition and posting C&Gs on the subject.

Ooops :blush:.
I somehow had the feeling that this could have been the case, but only checked one page back. Should have done more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom