December 2020 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Does the AI use the Rationalism card? That matters.

Rationalism was always kind of a "win button" so I'm not sad to see it nerfed.

So much subtly game-changing stuff here....Japan with 1-2 ley lines in the right places...:crazyeye:

I think deserts are less useless than snow, though. You're usually closer to good tiles. I rarely find a desert so large that I can't just ring cities around its borders (having each city be about half plains half desert, so I stick the districts on the desert side) If you ring the outside of snow, you're still in tundra, which generally sucks.

• Mines built by Gaul now provide tourism.
I want to add something: this is not specific to Gaul. Mines are added to the small pool of tile improvements that have the Culture to Tourism modifier (which were the Pastures and the Plantations). Which means:
  • Teddy 'Bull Moose' Roosevelt can enjoy it, if he manages to have breathtaking mines next to a Wonder or a Woods (tested)
  • Catherine 'Magnificent' de Medici can also enjoy it, if she manages to have mines over luxury ressources next to a Château or a Theatre Square (not tested, but confident)
  • I guess the Māori with the Marae could work if they manage to have a mine on a wood or rainforest (like Amber) (not tested, but not entirely confident either).
Like Coffee and Silk, the initial +1 Culture from Jade and Amber do not count toward the Tourism at Flight. But all the additionnal Culture do count (Gallic Mines over Amber will have 2 Culture but 1 Tourism, French / US-American mines will have 3 Culture but 2 Tourism when critierias are met).

Looks like they reined in the whole art market. Midgame I was still able to trade artefact for artefact with some extra from my part, but closer to the end any art comes up with 'item blocking deal' warning, whether it just for buying or swapping, and with free slots present. 'Steal work of art' spy missions may become relevant again, if that is so.

Last edited:
AI still goes a bit over the top with the spaceports.
This is standard size/speed deity with only SS mode enabled, 5+ spaceports on average per AI (3 to 7, I built none in this game), and they still got nowhere at t300 (and what with those unimproved luxuries and bonus resourses?):
Spoiler :

AI still goes a bit over the top with the spaceports.
This is standard size/speed deity with only SS mode enabled, 5+ spaceports on average per AI (3 to 7, I built none in this game), and they still got nowhere at t300 (and what with those unimproved luxuries and bonus resourses?):
Spoiler :

How many were not pillaged?

Fixed an issue where Wonder build requirements were being fulfilled by districts owned by other players.
There appears to be another unmentioned effect of this: It applies to other cities within your own empire now as well. I was previously able to build wonders like Biosphere next to another of my cities' neighborhood (etc.), but now the district has to belong to the city building the wonder. I recall this also used to be the case even with wonders that said "adjacent to a blank owned by this city", though I can't recall specific examples with certainty. Not sure how consistent the new rules are with the "owned by this city" wording in the in-game text either.

I actually find it doable with just a single plantation resource. [...]

I’ve played a lot of matches against my friends using the Maya and it’s pretty rare that I don’t have +4 observatories. One plantation and 4 farms/districts isn’t terribly difficult. And 15 pop is very easy when you have a ton of +housing farms so I don’t think the Rationalism change will hurt Maya like the other Civs [...]
I played a few more games - and concur.

It requires a bit more planning ahead with the district puzzle game (which, frankly, isn't the most fun aspect of the game for me), but unless you are very unlucky with terrain, you have indeed quite good chances to get that required +4.

How many were not pillaged?

You know, apart from the one that I blew up myself and that got repaired fairly soon, I did not notice any other pillaged spaceports. I loaded a couple of saves at earlier points and no, all spaceports were undamaged or still under construction. There were quite a few inter-AI alliances going on and that probably prevented those sabotage missions.
Btw, if you enter in the map search 'pillaged spaceport', it will find them, if there are any in the uncovered map.

One thing I noticed is after this patch the ai was a lot more aggressive and actually sent their armies to my cities (maybe just because of that one game though) and also that they were a lot more willing to trade great works for other great works instead of just asking for mine with none in return. I'm curious if other people saw that as well

One thing I noticed is after this patch the ai was a lot more aggressive and actually sent their armies to my cities (maybe just because of that one game though) and also that they were a lot more willing to trade great works for other great works instead of just asking for mine with none in return. I'm curious if other people saw that as well

Only Wilhelmina was aggressive with me. Apparently not sending a trade route is grounds for her sending her entire army to try and conquer my city.

Funny thing I was expecting attack from Robert the Bruce in the same area, so I was prepared. Robert later finally signed declaration of friendship and later economic alliance. Wilhelmina still is denouncing me, and I never conquered even one of her cities.

I think I saw some other people mention this, but I want to agree with those posters: the AI is now giving me a TON of money for strategic resources. Some AIs are giving me ~20 gold per turn for the standard requested heap of coal (12 or 13 coal units, I think? I wonder why they always seem to ask for this amount). I suppose that's pretty realistic... world trade focuses a lot on these kinds of resources. But it feels a little unbalanced.

I’m still getting offers of 1 to 3 gold per turn and at once for bonus resources. It’s just not worth it.

Top Bottom