1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DLC - are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by vibe96, May 26, 2012.

?

Are dlc packs worth buying?

1. Yes! I think they are underpriced.

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. Yes, for the normal price.

56 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Only for sale prices.

55 vote(s)
    39.9%
  4. No, you should't buy them.

9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. i don't own any dlc packs

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. ampmclock

ampmclock Warlord

I buy all dlc except maps, I just like having more for me to do, even if its not a whole lot. Releasing the DLC the way that it did caused a lot of problems for MP games, but besides that, I dont mind it too much.

2. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

The only real reason why I bought them, is because my debit card was stolen and I wanted to spend all the money I had on it before the thief could.

3. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

In Victoria we get a Coke for 2.80. :)

But then, I don't drink Coke, I drink beer and that is overpriced.

Meaning, I rather spend my money on beer than DLC's, as I haven't bought one DLC yet. I meant to, but the creditcard-number isn't readable anymore. Not the pin, the actual 4-digit number on the creditcard. But the wife got a new one and next sale I get all of it.

Btw, when is the next sale?

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

They generally aren't announced beforehand, but you would imagine they'd have one soon after G&K release, to get people to buy up.

5. Ighten

Ighten Chieftain

They tend to be the day after I buy something :mischief:

6. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

If I divide the cost of the DLC (Even at full price) by the number of hours of enjoyment that the DLC adds to Civ then they strike me as a bargain. It's the new model and the days of buying a disc with BTS or Play the World are gone forever.

7. Makaz

Makaz Warlord

I never bought any DLC to date - any idea if they will be included in G&K or at worse, there will be a bundle offer ?

8. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

I doubt that any existing DLC will be included in G&K. Patience is a virtue and in a few months you'll probably be able to buy the whole of DLC for a pittance.

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Only Spain (from the Spain & Inca double pack) will be included, nothing else.

10. l4d2bob

l4d2bob Chieftain

I don't own any DLCs, but the next time Steam has a sale on Civ V, which is probably going to be during the winter 2012, I will buy the GOTY edition on top of my original game to get the dlcs. I'll buy G&K as soon as it comes out as well.

11. Bakspatel

Bakspatel Prince

I've bought all the DLC Civs and the ancient wonders pack. I've never regretted it and enjoyed playing with them.
    And people shouldn't complain about the prices. Yes, it probably can be cheaper, but what do you intent to with the extra euro that you have saved? Buy mentos? Decide if you would like to get the extra game play and appreciate the hours that you can spend with it.

Heh, I've also held such a standard in the past: one euro per hour. If I have played the game long enough then my money was well spend.
    These days I'm way less interested in games and and buy about one new game each year. So I also stick longer at playing a particular game and instantly spend more hours on it.
    I totally agree with you on the last part, I'll never forget those days that I was impatiently waiting for new content that would be released in an expansion pack, going after school straight away to the shop and getting your much desired DVD. I find DLC's pretty cool, when you look up a game and see something that you like and can instantly download for a small fee. I know it is despised by others, but I also enjoy the Steam system. It allows me to play Civ at my home and when I spend the night at my parents I can find some moments to play there as well, without any difficulties such as bringing your DVD along or copying the DVD/searching for a crackfile or the crap about limited installations of your game. The only thing I don't really like about it is that you are forced to make connection to the internet in order to play the game.

12. PierreBonaparte

PierreBonaparte Chieftain

I'd take a coke over any of the DLCs any day, for what they're worth

13. geebo

geebo Prince

Same, I bought all the DLC Civs and the Wonders at regular price(mainly on their initial release) I mostly use TSL maps and the more variety the better, gotta mix civilizations up sometimes.

14. Mivo

Mivo Warlord

I votes for "Yes, for the normal price", which is what I bought them at. Even if I played every new civ only for one game, the money/entertainment ratio would already perfectly justify the purchase.

It's also a nice way to keep supporting the franchise and signal interest and the willingness to spend more money on it. It is what fuels future development. (I even re-bought Civ3 and 4 on Steam, both for convenience and support.)