DMAW04 - A Testing War

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
I seem to recall seeing a comment somewhere from Blake that the Advanced AI wasn't really tested in AW conditions. Well, its time to do so.

Game: BtS
Leader: TBD
Opponents: Random
Difficulty: Prince
Map: One landmass type
Size: Standard
Speed: Epic
Victory: All Enabled
Options: ALWAYS WAR

Prince was the Warlords level we managed to get to comfortably win at, no idea whether it is possible in BtS.

As for leader, I would suggest those with an early 2 movement UU, for easy pillaging (Cyrus, Darius, Hatty, Ramses, Khans etc).

For this SG the DM SG Etiquette applies (see spoiler).

Spoiler :

Alpha: Quality of report outweighs quality of play. This is a medium of entertainment and our reason for being here is to have fun. Sure, winning can be fun, but a boring win pretty much sucks.

Bravo: An auto-log dump does not count as a turn report. Unless unusual circumstances prevent, a turn report should have more player-generated content than auto-log content. Screen shots of major events are expected. Shots of the F9 screens are nice too, once in a while, possibly even an aerial shot of the empire in early years.

Charlie: Punctuality is encouraged. Standard time frame is for a player to post a "got it" within 24 hours of the time the previous player posted the save, then play within 48 hours of his "got it" post. Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. You might find yourself "skipped" the next time, as well. Skips and swaps are fine, just try to arrange them sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Being a better player than others does not give you the right to belittle anyone or anyone's decisions.

1. Sometimes other people are going to disagree with you on the major decisions. Get used to the idea.
  2. Trash talk, when presented humorously, is encouraged. This is a fine line, though. If you lack a command of either humor or English, you might want to consider waiting until the group gets to know you before you let slip the dogs trash talk.

Echo: Major game decisions should generally be arrived at via group concensus.

1. If most or all of the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
  2. However, if the team is (fairly) evenly split, the decision is yours. Do it your way, and make it clear why.
  3. Similarly, if it's split and someone else's turn, don't whine when they do it their way instead of yours.
  4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of said opportunity weigh greatly, the player is encouraged to stop, write a report up to that point, and ask the group to discuss.
  5. Major decisions include, but are not limited to, war declarations, peace declarations, city placement, and civics or religion swaps. In some cases, major tech trades, wonder builds, great person actions, or tech paths are "major" enough to warrant significant discussion.

Foxtrot: Overruling your predecessor's builds and tech choices after hammers/beakers have been invested can be rude. If your reasoning is sound, make the switch, but please state both the action and the rationale in your report.

Golf: Automation is generally fine, when well documented.

1. When automating workers, it is an absolute MUST that you set your game options to disallow automated worker chopping and to keep previous improvements.
  2. Auto-explore is generally inefficient and problematic. Particularly during wartime when they'll pillage enemy improvements. If you automate exploration, it is your responsibility to remind the group of this when war breaks out.
  3. Turning on the auto governor in a city is fine, but please explain your reasoning. If you automate the governor to prevent growth, it is your responsibility to remind the group of this when the time arrives that the city can again grow.
  4. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable if you're sending troops to rally point, or if you otherwise inform your teammates.
  5. A good idea is to cancel automation at the end of your set. According to Ruff, you can cancel all worker actions at once by selecting a single worker, holding down ALT, then clicking on cancel.

Hotel: Fortifying great people, at any time, is a jackassed thing to do. Seriously, how hard is it to press the space bar a few times?

India: Sign spamming is rude. In certain instances, signs can be helpful reminders. Too many signs, however, are easily ignored. If you placed a sign, it is your responsibility to erase it once that sign is obsolete.

Juliet: Leniency against ettiquette infractions will be given to those whose prior play has reflected the spirit of these rules. In other words, guys I've played with for two years get a little more latitude than guy I just met.

Roster:

Ozbenno
Conroe
yena
berserks01
GreyFox
Jamesds

The fact that all three previous DMAW games have ended in failure should not be a deterrent for signing up :mischief:

I'd like to join, if you'll have me.

I'd been thinking about starting an OCC AW game. I haven't played AW in a while. Maybe this one will cure that itch. :D

AW was fun in Civ 3, but I haven't played it in CIV. I'm willing to give it a try, if you'll have me.

AW was fun in Civ 3, but I haven't played it in CIV. I'm willing to give it a try, if you'll have me.
it's a very different beast in CIV, so beware

it's a very different beast in CIV, so beware

Only too true - I thought I'd try this month's Civ4 GOTM, Always War, on Monarch. So far, no one has won, and those that can do initially well find that the mass pillaging the AI does cripples their science output. I wish you luck guys (I'll be watching)! :) Oh, and hopefully you'll start somewhere near the edge of the map - it's not nice having to guard against attacks from all fronts!

I seem to recall seeing a comment somewhere from Blake that the Advanced AI wasn't really tested in AW conditions. Well, its time to do so.
Does this mean we need to install Blake's AI to play or is that already included in the build? I never really fully understand that.

If nothing needs to be installed, and you'll have me, I'm willing to give this one a nip in the butt.

I think we should play as Hatshepsut, if we want it to be difficult (no war traits and spiritual and creative is a little weak for AW) or Genghis Khan if we want it to be easier.

Damn it... Too late... :sad:

Ok, I'll lurk this one and laugh from your future loss enjoy a very promising fun game! :D

I think Cyrus is a good choice for leader; more GG points and faster promotions should give us an edge over the opponents.

How about increasing the number of opponents? The AIs will find us faster, but it should limit the number of cities for each one, and the number of units each civ can produce.

I would vote for either Genghis (Agg/Imp) or Cyrus (Cha/Imp), as well. I think I'm leaning towards Cyrus. The quicker promotions cannot be underestimated. Plus we won't need HBR to get access to his UU. But, we will need some metal to reinforce those Immortals. On the other hand, Genghis might be a better choice, depending on the map. Forests and jungles will not slow down those Keshiks (and in AW, speed is critical). There is also a longer shelf life on the UU to consider.

How about increasing the number of opponents? The AIs will find us faster, but it should limit the number of cities for each one, and the number of units each civ can produce.
My guess is we will be facing the same number of units, either way. They are all going to dogpile us at some point. Unless, of course, we get to them first. :D

Cyrus or GK is fine with me as well. I was gonna suggest Shaka, but we've already done him to death in AW games.

i think, too, you should stick on Aggressive AI ~ as Blake says, it IS the 'proper' way to play the game

Lurker who hasn't played AW asks:

How about Hammurabi? Or is it really advisable to get a UU with movement 2?

Top Bottom