DMAW04 - A Testing War

How about Hammurabi? Or is it really advisable to get a UU with movement 2?

The key to AW is to go on the offensive early, razing cities and pillaging AI resources is crucial, therefore a 2 movement UU is a big help.

Having said that, who knows what changes BtS will bring to AW. The old strategies might no longer work.

I'll post a starting position tonight for discussion and get the ball rolling over the weekend.

GreyFox, are you going to be civ compatible in Hawaii or are you competely OoP for the next week?

FB, I'll put you up as an alternative if you want.

Time to get a start going.

Here are the crucial settings.

Aggressive AI and No Tech Trading. Map is pangaea.

And here is the all important start.

Good in some ways, we're not in the middle of the landmass, we've got plenty of food to work all 3 hills.

Not so good in others. Too much sea for my liking. Could move 1W but lose one clam. Only one type of resource. We get no trade value out of having multiples of one resource.

We definately need to build a warrior first, then maybe a work boat, then worker.

Normally I would have said Animal Husbandry first but Fishing/Bronze Working might be better. High food and whipping could give a crucial early advantage. I would be very surprised if there is any strategic resource in our BFC, we'll need a settler to grab one so AH isn't as urgent (plenty of turns before we have a settler and worker out).

I'll get everyone's thoughts and play probably on Sunday. If we go 20 each first time through and then drop to 10 after that.

Sea resources will be pillaged, unless we invest in a navy that seems unnecessary on a pangea map. I think it would be better to move the settler, perhaps 3W, but you have to move the scout before we can make a decision. Can you move it to reveal more land, and post another screen shot?

Definitely move, perhaps 2W. We would still have one crab, but city on a hill (good for defence and production), and 12 land tiles, instead of only 6 if settle in place. You should move the scout north to see if it would be better to settle 2W, 1 NW instead (fresh water and who knows what?).

Hey, Ozzy! Thanks for letting me an alternate spot. I'll be reading this on weekdays anyway... :)

About the settling... 1W is absolutely better than the start for an AW game. Yeah, we lose a clam, but whatever.... With 2 clams and a lighthouse we should have 6 excess food. Good for whipping and enough for our 3 grass hills.
So, Yena's suggestion is still applying. Move the settler 1W, hit enter, and then move the scout... We either settle there on next turn or lose yet another one to get into the 2 W NW hill.

I assumed it's okay for me to write this stuff. If it's not, just let me know. :mischief:

This start seems odd. Don't you always end up with a source of fresh water right next to you if you settle in place? I don't see fresh water ... unless you move 2W1N.

lurker's comment:
they could count that plains river tile which would be in your BFC, though I've never heard of that start requirement ~

The fact that all three previous DMAW games have ended in failure should not be a deterrent for signing up :mischief:
With this start, it looks like the tradition shall continue ... :undecide:

Let's hope you don't accidentally hit that regenerate map option while you're moving the Settler west ... :mischief:

The key to AW is to go on the offensive early, razing cities and pillaging AI resources is crucial, therefore a 2 movement UU is a big help.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking Hammurabi's UU would help a bunch if you had to hold off early attacks (plus it's resource-free). Meanwhile, his traits would greatly support attacks once you really got going.

Move, definently as a couple turns probably won't make as much of a difference as a stronger start.

A restart might yet be happening. I moved the settler 1W, was about to move the scout north and noticed this.

I think its Charlemange (he's dark yellow isn't he?). That would mean he starts with a warrior. If it wanders our way we're history. We could settle in place and try and warrior rush him I suppose.

Continue on or restart?

restart; it is the best way to play a game with a decent start without any problems involved.

It is only prince, so it may be possible to do a warrior rush. If that doesn't work out, I suggest a restart.

Edit: on second though it is unlikely to work out. Restart?

Top Bottom