1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Don't Cry for me Argentina!"

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Birdjaguar, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Code:
    [CREATURE:FISH_CARP]
    [NAME:carp:carp:carp]
    [TILE:224][COLOR:3:0:0]
    [LARGE_ROAMING]
    [AQUATIC][UNDERSWIM][IMMOBILE_LAND]
    [MODVALUE:3]
    [GENPOWER:3]
    [PREFSTRING:fearsome bite]
    [ALL_ACTIVE]
    [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
    [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]
    [BENIGN][MEANDERER][NATURAL]
    [PETVALUE:50]
    [NOPAIN][NOFEAR][NOEMOTION]
    [BODY:BASIC_2PARTBODY:BASIC_HEAD:SIDE_FINS:DORSAL_FIN:TAIL:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
    [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:20:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
    [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTOKEN:TAIL:slap:slaps:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
    [SIZE:3]
    [MAXAGE:20:30]
    [NO_DRINK]
    [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:carp fry:carp fry]
    [FAT:1]
    [BIOME:RIVER_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
    [BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
    [BIOME:LAKE_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
    [BIOME:LAKE_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
    [STANDARD_FLESH]
    [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
    [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:500]
    [SPHERE:WAR]
    [SPHERE:DEATH]

2. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Have you considered joining the C2C mod team

3. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

that's probably dorf fort code

4. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Civ'ed likes this.
  5. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

Hi, I'm THERVERLD and I enjoy liking posts that were written 5 years old, pillaging monasteries, and hatesex with Tany.

Crezth likes this.
  6. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Hey, if it's a bother, I can unlike them...

7. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

I appreciate you liking my old posts thor :love:

8. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

Omega124 likes this.
  9. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Thor confirmed for bot

GenMarshall likes this.
  10. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Who doesn't?

11. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

I have no phone and a malfunctioning laptop charger so if I disappear for a few days that is why.

12. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Attention citizens: due to a high degree of the Lost and XCOM terrorists present we of ADVENT will ensure you that we will protect you with increase troop presense, including purifiers to keep the Lost down.

We thank you for your co-operation. Remember: only together can we build a better tomorrow!

13. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Does this map intrigue you?

Right now I'm moderating a game called 'The Grandest Tale Ever Told', AKA MigratioNES. Rather than playing as individual nations, we're playing as cultures. At the timescales the game's running at right now, nations are fairly ephemeral, here and gone within a single update. Right now, the most advanced cultures are working bronze, building chariots and constructing great walled cities, and agriculture is now widespread across two continents.

Players submit technological and cultural developments developments in the thread as their orders, directing the movement of peoples and major historical trends.

My goal is to ultimately progress the game through beyond our modern age, until we hit some kind of 'end of history' where modeling this world in terms of moving culture groups on a map ceases to make sense.

If you're interested, definitely drop by, give it a look, ask any questions you have here or in the game thread. I'd be very grateful for submissions!

erez87 likes this.
  14. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

I just want to comment on all the ways this map does not intrigue me.

First of all, the first thing that comes to mind is the event in NK's game where an entire city was eaten by Prince Thlayli's soldiers, and everyone moreorless acknowledged this was historical and very cool, because stupid peasants being eaten by the rich and/or soldiers appeals to everyone in the NES demographic. That may or may not have much to do with this map per se, but it's just a heads-up for anyone who finds themselves in the midst of NESers that they consider cannibalism a positive and progressive solution to the problems nations' face, especially at the cost of other NESers.

Secondly, the map takes forever to load. I can feel the fun trickling down my urethra second by second.

The border of the western continent looks fake. I can tell you used the brush tool to touch it up. I assume the places of partial opacity indicate places where there are marshlands? Or is that just an artifact of how ugly the map is? Either way, eugh.

The great lakes in the east bear weirdly no relation to the actual great lakes that I know they're modeled on, for no reason any less than that there is no St. Lawrence river basin. So I assume therefore they're just inland basins. I don't think anyone here has the expertise to correctly speculate about such seas but as a hint, it'd be as prosperous as the Caspian, which is to say not very prosperous at all.

Overall it looks like just another cradle map and I'm so glad NES has been so hard at work on this. I recommend NESers stick to D&D games which they know they're good at.

15. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Oh, c'mon, you can be less of a dick about it. Though I'll agree that the mass cannibalism is pretty scary.

Lord_Iggy, Thorvald of Lym and erez87 like this.
  16. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Speaking of cannibalism has anyone played Tooth and Tail? I have not at this stage but it looks of intrigue.

17. MartinLuther

MartinLuther look at this kawaii anime boy i found :)

Hey guys, I'm back.

I wanted to host a game again and want to know: would you guys be interested in a movie based IOT using mechanics I stole from this?

18. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Don't cut yourself on that edge, Crezth.

Crezth and thomas.berubeg like this.
  19. North King

North King blech

I wouldn't normally bother with such an obvious troll, but Iggy's a nice guy and you're being a cock, so:

Yes, we all applauded that update. In fact, everyone crowned Thlayli king of the NESers that day, and that is why he has such a large cult following to this day! You definitely didn't ignore all of the consternation, and the debates, and the fact that EoE updates were always written "from the perspective of the actors" and therefore always had an agenda and a specific viewpoint, nor that the "Feast of Kargan" you quote was possibly a mythologized event that didn't really bear resemblance to what was going on, nor that it was in an update titled "Nightmare" which should probably suggest to you how seriously we take cannibalism as a strategy for statecraft, nor that Thlayli's people are basically a commentary on the barbarism of wargaming. You did all the research, and I am thoroughly impressed. /patpat

You should probably bear in mind that different NESes are different! I know that's hard to grasp, but it's sort of like how Iggy's one person and I'm another person!

So, no, it has no bearing on this.

Hold on, what about the face belong to multiple nations? This could be important!

This is a totally valid critique to make! In 1995. My download time for this on my 35 mbps connection is faster than my ability to tab over to it. You must either have **** internet, OR a surprisingly short urethra.

I see you are unfamiliar with the idea of a "shroud of war" that blurs at the edge. Please direct your attention to these games as part of your research assignment.

You think that's modeled on the Great Lakes? How... interesting a thought. Given that it's clearly labeled as a sea! So maybe it's saltwater...

Wait, an alternate world has DIFFERENT LANDFORMS than Earth? God forbid!

Thank god you're here to help.

That's also true of industrialization, war, economics, the environment, and earth's history in general. Someone call the mods, because Crezth has shown us that we need to SHUT IOT DOWN before someone incorrectly speculates on such things!

(Also the internet)

Hmm, Iggy actually does have the credentials to speculate about the ecological dimensions of such a sea...

So do the various people who have historical credentials here...

As do the various people who have actually arsed themselves into worldbuilding for the last decade or so...

You might be interested to note that such basins actually did exist in Earth's history!

You might be interested to note that such basins have a wealth of ecological, cultural, and political data published on them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lake+lahontan

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mediterranean+salinity+crisis

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lake+victoria

and even

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=caspian+sea

It's like you can do research or something!

Per various professional historians, all "alternate histories" are fraught with problems of historical evidence and argumentation. It's almost like making them is never going to be "correct!"

Per other various professional historians, "alternate histories" are an interesting way of thinking through real-world events, so it's actually a valuable exercise to think through how such basins might function in a socio-enviro-cultural sense!

It's too bad some dumbass walked in five words later and started speculating about such seas with AUTHORITY! You should talk to them.

Thank god I have all this aloe for that SICK BURN

Also if you bothered to do even a second's worth of effort you'd realize that the density of the dots is such that it's not actually even an important part of the map right now. So maybe your Caspian Sea Correct Speculation is actually what Iggy might be going with!

Yes, our collective efforts have been feverish to bring this map to you. Overall this looks like just another troll post and I'm so glad that humanity has been so hard at work on this. I recommend humans stick to cat pics which they know they're good at.

Lord_Iggy, Sonereal, Azale and 3 others like this.
  20. North King

North King blech

tl;dr: Those of you who enjoy doing stuff with human migrations or "having fun" should come check the game out. Iggy's a lovely guy, much nicer than me, and it's quite interesting. :)

erez87 and Crezth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.