1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't use Win 10

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Fins, May 18, 2016.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I got an SSD and reverted back to windows 7. :D

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

That's alright, if you keep it updated, it probably should be called Windows 7.10... ;)

:joke:

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

MS has said they will support Win 7 for another 4 years. That gives me some time.

IglooDude likes this.
  4. Lugh

Lugh Prince

Oh sure, I agree. That's why MS don't market Win10 as an OS, they market connectivity, collaboration, task completion, entertainment, whatever. Like Steve Jobs used to say, "There's an app for that". If MS can make all your devices talk to each other seamlessly to accomplish user tasks, people will lap it up.

As long as you don't have a near-term need for the hardware and software coming thru which says "Works with Win8 or later". But yeah, that apart you should have plenty of time. I was going to stay with Win7 until I saw that Win10 had become considerably better approaching the July freebie cut-off.

5. FashGordon

FashGordon Chieftain

I just finished building a new PC and decided to go with win7 rather than win10. I will also be switching to Linux once win7 is no longer supported and keeping my win7 OS as a 2nd boot drive.

I've been familiar with windows since the DOS days and I even find win10 to be a cluttered, difficult mess to use. It's quite obvious that it was designed with the intention to data mine you and sell you "apps" at the expense of a user friendly experience.

I don't like the direction they're going and I do too much with my computer to have Microsoft try to dumb it down to a shiny box with lights and apps where you can press the buttons on the outside of the box, but you're not allowed to touch the technology inside. I think I'll pass.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Ballmer's being doing an admirable job with the Clippers and USAFacts.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

My biggest problem with Windows 10 is all the updates. It's like I'm running a tablet with all these updates. To be fair, I haven't had one lately. I got burned by the windows 10 install, but overall I've been pretty happy with it. Had to delete a lot of junk cluttering up the tiles.

I don't like a cluttered start menu. Only titles I have are like for Calculator, Microsoft Paint (I mainly use this for screenshots), notepad, recycle bin, and for some reason steam is on there (I don't remember putting that on there), I also put Itunes on there as sometimes I have trouble getting to my desktop when I have Civ6 alt-tabbed out. All my games I use as desktop icons.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Windows 10 is a bit of a Catch 22.

With such a poor system, you want an anti-virus programme to take care of some of the deficiencies. But install anti-virus software, and it may well put the OS itself on the blacklist (like it should).

Thankfully I've long ago scrapped the heap of spying Moderator Action: <SNIP> . On Linux I can keep in control of my own system, and not be forced into whatever crap Microsoft is trying to pull, nor have layer upon layer of spyware in the computer.

Moderator Action: Please help us keep our forums family friendly by using appropriate language. Thanks, leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
  10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

None of that is true, or even sensical.

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Of course Windows 10 won't be put on a blacklist if you install anti-virus, that much is obvious (I was being tongue-in-cheek). Though it probably should occur given the dangers within it.

12. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

13. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Warlord

i run windows 7 and plan to never have windows 10. once windows 7 is no longer supported i expect microcrap to make it difficult compatibility wise for different browsers, programs etc. so i will be running some version of linux in vm from an ssd for those cases. the future of pcs is vm and emulation anyway. why should developers have to port anything when we have the computing power now to make the os for all practical purposes irrelevant?

im also still sour that microcrap "updated" and broke the drivers for my xb1 wireless adapter by not signing the drivers for windows 7. i believe microcrap did this on purpose since they never wanted to support wireless xb1 for windows 7 in the first place. anyway the drivers will download and work but you have to put your system into test mode though cmd (if you don't you must connect via usb). the fix for this is simple and the fact that they havent done it yet and have also suspiciously stopped advertising xb1 controllers for windows 7 (although they are compatible) makes me believe they have done this on purpose. when i purchased the adapter it was advertised explicitly as compatible with windows 7, 8, and 10. bunch of scheming thieves.

tl;dr

for a pc i dont want to be locked into a microsoft environment with a bloated and laggy spyware os thats meant to be finger banged on a tablet and forces me to update. its MY computer and i want to have full control over it so microcrap can take its ugly cluttered os and shove direct x12, microsoft edge, and their app store where the sun doesnt shine because no one cares about that crap anyway.

hh

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  14. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Warlord

theres nothing wrong with linux except that its difficult to use for anyone who hasnt been using that enviorment for years. simple things like downloading a browser, or getting flash to work in browser is a nightmare for a non-techy user, or even someone who is computer literate but has never used linux before. the concept of linux is great, but imo the os is vastly overrated. if there was a viable non-apple alternative to windows i feel like linux wouldnt be recommended much at all for the reasons i mentioned above.

hh

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. abradley

abradley Deity

A few months back my old computer died, bought a new one and installed Linux Mint. Everything is fine. Don't have an OS installing stuff I don't want.

My understanding is when you install Win10 all your work belongs to MS, for me that ain't so important because I ain't using it in any business or secret stuff, changed because I want my computer to be my computer.

There are many flavors of Linux, some better for business, find out what best suits you.

Hamid.H seems to be knowing the 'ifs and ands', heed his advice.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

This is not the case. Or you know, it would be impossible for governments and corporations to use Windows.

17. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Warlord

i think youre misunderstaing him, or perhaps he wasnt clear. he can correct me if im wrong, but i believe his point was that microcrap is data mining everyone who uses windows 10. its part of their terms of service. the agreement in a nutshell is that anything you do on a pc with windows 10 is not private, the terms of service are subject to change at any given moment, and since youve already agreed to forced updates they can wedge that phallic-esque marketing spyware just a little deeper anytime they feel the urge.

hh

18. abradley

abradley Deity

Thank you, you clarified perfectly.

Best

19. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I understood. You and him are both incorrect.

20. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Warlord

please elaborate as to how so because i believe youre gravely mistaken.

hh