Don't use Win 10

Hello,

Use the "Details" tab that appears at the top - this returns you to the more "traditional" look Task Manager view (which, unsurprisingly, is more useful than the new "Mr. Windows 10 Protect You From Yourself" View)

Great view of things. Thanks.

What are all the svchost.exe files doing?

When I open Task manager, it shows 100% usage, but none of the items listed under that column show more than 0.2 or 0.3 MB/s. Most items are at zero. It seems that whatever is using the disk isn't showing up.

I don't think that's the case - it's likely the task manager simply doesn't have a good idea of what 100% use actually is. I'd just ignore the %.

Thanks. Now, would all this go away if I had an SSD based operating system?

The slowdowns I see are mostly a minor annoyance. The noisy fan seems out of place when the drive use goes up. Maybe it is a fan problem.

I am now thinking I should just buy a new computer and refresh everything.

I've been using Linux for years as my default personal OS although I've used Mac OS X and Windows 10 at times as well (other people's computers).

For me, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon is so perfect that it's almost boring. And that's a good thing. It does what it's supposed to every time. In all my years with Linux, I've never had an issue I couldn't resolve.

Try out Linux (maybe dual-boot with Windows if you want).

With what I heard about Win 10, running it or using it would likely depend on your computer's compatibility. There are some who don't even experience any issues about win 10.

I was caught out by the dreaded auto update... Admittedly performance has improved over the last few months, and there are fewer crashes, but I'm not a massive fan of some of these rather devious tactics - 'X'-gate (forced update to Windows 10), lack of transparency over the contents of updates, etc.

I've been using Linux for years as my default personal OS although I've used Mac OS X and Windows 10 at times as well (other people's computers).

For me, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon is so perfect that it's almost boring. And that's a good thing. It does what it's supposed to every time. In all my years with Linux, I've never had an issue I couldn't resolve.

Try out Linux (maybe dual-boot with Windows if you want).
For the above reasons, I've been thinking more about just switching to Linux - the so perfect that it's boring sound absolutely ideal! Plus, I read here that it's free and less susceptible to security breaches. How do I go about transfering to Linux Mint 18, is it easy to transfer to from Windows 10? It sounds great :)

MS really has issues with their QA process lately... if you hit the "Defer feature updates" in the win update settings, you're basically safe.

Linux is not really less susceptible to security breaches. Mint had this disaster a few months ago.

My favorite Linux distro (and possibly my favorite OS) is Arch Linux.
I see, not exactly reassuring...! Why do you prefer Arch Linux?

I'm thinking of putting Linux on my old XP desktop to test it out. Otherwise it's not much use to me anymore.

Been using windows 10 for about a month now I think, and I have 0 problems with it. I think the interface looks better than windows 7 (what I upgraded from)

Cortana is kinda crap but you can disable it and hide it. Sort of. I still you think use it when you need to search for something, like a program. I wish they had a regular search function that wasn't cortana but it's not a huge deal. The start menu with all those stupid squares is stupid too, but you can configure that too and take out all the garbage and put your own stuff in.

Other than that everything has been smooth and looks good.

No, it isn't.

Although a subscription service for enthusiasts would be cool, currently if you build your own PCs, it's $190 for Win10 Pro OEM which you can't transfer between devices and $250 for Win10 Pro re-usable between devices. I'd pay in the $50/year range for a couple Pro licenses that I can transfer between any PCs, and that are perpetually good for the most recent version of Windows.

MS seem to be more interested in market penetration than making money directly with recent versions. I picked up 3xWin7 for $150 before it launched, and now Win10 was given away for a year. If they can pull off Win10 on all devices, they'll unlock huge revenue streams from ancillary products and services, so I expect Win to remain quite reasonable cost.

That said, moving to a subscription model makes sense to combat all the piracy. The deal with OEM makers would likely be that PCs would ship with 2-3 years' subscription paid for in the PC price. Subscription also makes sense from a revenue forecasting POV [predictable v volatile one-off sales], which would make their business more stable and thereby enable prices to be kept low.

MS offers a great deal on Office 365--5 licenses [each allowing a PC + other devices] for $100/year--so they seem to be quite price sensitive in the consumer market.

I don't see an OS subscription model coming any time soon either. Perhaps for enterprise where that sort of thing already has a high tolerance, but not for the public. If that ever does happen, I guess I'll be stocking up on a few licenses from the last single-purchase Windows for gaming purposes and then switch to Linux for general computing as a big middle-finger to Microsoft.

And yes, I realize the irony of throwing more money at them and then giving them the finger.

Top Bottom