Drinkers / Non drinkers

I think it's J that needs to get the rocksalt out, I advocated for mixing coke into the 2 day old campfire sludge.

Yeah, but putting up four pictures and captioning it "malts" when one of them is Icehouse Edge...that was a bold move there. That was like photoshopping Dingbat Don onto Mount Rushmore.

alcohol is poison, I drank too much and I'm paying the price for it... I started getting what felt like pinpricks, it was nerve damage. I thought I had diabetes but my tests were good, then my doc asked me how much I drank. Bingo! The strange thing is most of my drinking was social, I didn't go home and drink. Bar hopping, softball, social events, and mostly on the golf course. But at home, nah... Its more like I was drinking because my friends were drinking, but it wasn't really peer pressure. Maybe its monkey, see monkey do.

anyway, light to moderate wine (beer?) consumption is apparently beneficial. go figure, but I dont know if the alcohol is why - I doubt it

I wonder if the alcohol still causes damage but wine's other attributes make it an over all plus

Jamaica White Whine Overproof (63%) tastes like burning death mixed with oblivion.

Well, Tim, Icehouse Edge is a bold sort of drink. It just really gets up in there with the best of company. It's not the sort of drink that matters if it warms near the bottom of the can.

Jamaica White Whine Overproof (63%) tastes like burning death mixed with oblivion.
That's Wray & Nephew... and it's not wine, its rum... and it has a very strong sugarcane taste (if you can fight through the initial burning death;)), which is indeed followed by oblivion, especially if you dare to drink more than a single shot of it.
Well, Tim, Icehouse Edge is a bold sort of drink. It just really gets up in there with the best of company. It's not the sort of drink that matters if it warms near the bottom of the can.
Still trying the hard sell with the Malt Liquor? Man... that takes me back... the 40 oz was the drink of choice for the wayward teens when I was a lad. You only needed one to serve like 3 or four guys.

You just don't share a forty with someone and not learn a lot about em in pretty short order.

I'm not sure the smirk's coming through.

I think it's J that needs to get the rocksalt out, I advocated for mixing coke into the 2 day old campfire sludge.

I mixed Italian wine in front of an Italian, and I haven't received my horse head yet...I'm not worried :D.

Now to decide who's more attached. The Italians to wine, or the Scots to scotch? Risky buisness, sir!

You don't want to know the amount of time I've spent overthinking my justification for serving absolute rubbish booze to people. Good company =/= polite company, I suppose, if I were to try and summarize!

You don't want to know the amount of time I've spent overthinking my justification for serving absolute rubbish booze to people. Good company =/= polite company, I suppose, if I were to try and summarize!
I bought it, and you *******s are drinking for free [/justification]

I think it's more like a test on the balance between quality of company/quality of entertainment. Plus everybody needs somebody that will show up with a bottle of Malört nonironically.

Though, back on the topic of malts, I actually had a couple thumbs of this today:

Spoiler :

It was quite lovely neat.

So, I said earlier in the thread that I brew my own beer and when I hear "malt" I just think of the malted barley I use in my mash. There are a variety of malts and you use different ones to affect the color and flavor. Generally its mostly base malt with some crystal, roasted, Vienna, Munich, etc to get the desired flavor color combo.

Anyway, a variety of malts often go into any given recipe and its generally a good thing as long as they meld together well and don't mess up the final gravity. What makes single malt Scotch desirable over a blend? In a blend is it two different aged batches? Are they mixing pale and peat smoked malt? Is a single malt all peat?

Not really well versed in whiskey making.

Yea, FB, Glenmorangie is good. They have that one aged in sherry casks and another one, even better, aged in port casks.

I was actually at the liquor store today and bought a new one in my favorite line, Laphroaig. I might sample it as early as tonight. I'll let everyone know.

Anyway, a variety of malts often go into any given recipe and its generally a good thing as long as they meld together well and don't mess up the final gravity. What makes single malt Scotch desirable over a blend? In a blend is it two different aged batches? Are they mixing pale and peat smoked malt? Is a single malt all peat?
Single malts are usually seen as having deeper and more distinctive flavours. The peatiness just depends on regional style.

My impression is that the superiority of single malts is probably over-stated: connoisseurs prefer them because there's more variety and you can fuss over all the fine details, and that filters down to the general public as "malts are better".

Last edited:
So more than likely single malts are 100% peat smoked barley grist, one mash and aged in bulk. Blended are either a mash using some less expensive base malt mixed in with the peated malt or I've heard that some spirits, especially brandy, will be a blend of aged and newer batches. I could probably Google it I suppose.

Way back in high school one evening after drinking everything else all we had was scotch and grape soda ......... Yep we mixed that and called them purple pirates and yep they were as nasty as you think they'd be :)

Now I'm partial to Laphroaig single malt for the real peaty flavor, gin and tonics because they are refreshing or Samsung a Thai whiskey that is cheap enough that no one ever bothers to fake it with wood alcohol which is common practice in Thailand.

Don't use ice to cut scotch as the ice breaks the tanins in the scotch and changes the flavor, better to mix it with room temperature water as needed.

Peat-smoking has more to do with regional style than whether it's a single malt or not; Islay and Campletown malts tend to be peaty, I think, while Speyside and Highland malts are lighter. It's associated with single malts simply because blends are mostly designed for smooth flavours, so they avoid strongly smoky malts, while a few popular single malts, like Laphroaig and Ardbeg, are peat-smoked Islay whiskies.

As you say, blends may will tend to include one more or more "single grain" whiskies, which are either made from something other than malted barley, or are distilled by some other method than a traditional post still. There are some blends which use only single malts, and these are usually labelled "blended malt"; high-end and craft blends tend to fit this category.

Don't use ice to cut scotch as the ice breaks the tanins in the scotch and changes the flavor, better to mix it with room temperature water as needed.

What if you prefer the flavor of broken tanins?

I was actually at the liquor store today and bought a new one in my favorite line, Laphroaig. I might sample it as early as tonight. I'll let everyone know.

Ok, didn't get to it until today. It's Laphroaig's "Cask strength." They encourage one to water it down at a 2-1 ratio! I tried 1-1. It probably won't supplant Quarter Cask, but, it boasts "tastes of the sea" in addition to the peatiness/smokiness. I can't always taste the flavors I'm told I should taste in a wine, but I can taste the sea in this!

By the way, when you buy a bottle of Laphroaig, you get a little internet code, and if you enter it in their website, they make you owner of one square foot of their estate. They tell you that if you're ever on the Isle of Islay, you can claim the rent that is due to you: a finger of scotch.

Last edited:
Alright its late and I'm belligerent cause I stayed up all night writing some damn report... F all this whiskey talk, I'm drinkin' wine. Where my Chablis sippin' liberals at?:D

Let's talk wine. Anyone sample any good wines? I've recently discovered Gewurztraminer... which is basically a special kind of Riesling, slightly carbonated, on the sweet side...

I am also trying out the "19 crimes" brand or Red wines cause the whole gimmick (Australian penal colony) is intriguing...

Top Bottom