Dumb and Stupid Quotes Thread: Idiotic Source and Context are Key.

upload_2021-5-14_10-11-45.png

Not seeing how the lowly grenadier nobodies are mentioned in the same line as Lysander, who pretty much achieved what used to be regarded as impossible (although aided by a lot of persian coin; in the aftermath, however, 30.000 'archer' coins stopped the Spartans themselves in Persia).
The Alexander one, doesn't even deserve mentioning :smug:

defeated Napoleon's Guards or something like that . So that they got to wear bearskin hats or something . Yeah , let's try if Alexander can carry a bearskin thing , like in Persia .

defeated Napoleon's Guards or something like that . So that they got to wear bearskin hats or something . Yeah , let's try if Alexander can carry a bearskin thing , like in Persia .

The grenadier song is much older than the wars against Napoleon; it was there with these lyrics (apparently) roughly 40 years before the american war of independence.

wiki said:
The first printed version of 'The Granadeer's March' appeared in 1706, the first with lyrics sometime between 1735–1750

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_British_Grenadiers

Last edited:
You're complaining a British marching song isn't appropriately deferential to ancient Greek warriors??

ı was expecting a response more like it is possible to wear thick headgear in the deserts , like these Circassians in Syria and stuff ...

____
Circassiantroopswiththeirfrenchofficer.jpg
____

but also serves to talk of the days of the West in a bid to overcome Roman Catholic Church on the reason of because loved everthing Greek , the mentors of Rome which fell victim to certain Midle Eastern ideas . And 1700s are obviously when the British feel safe enough to call themselves mightier then anything .

may 15th was of course followed by May 16th , in which some British officer stamped the papers of Bandırma , a ship that would dock in Samsun on the 19th , so ı don't know why should a Greek be happy about that ? No Phantoms at hand and transformations also require being looking the usual though and also something which is still taken as dumb so some other ship

____
oliver-ink-deflections.jpg
____

upload_2021-5-16_13-20-20.png

It's not, though. The sentence is supposed to be a joke of sorts, but it's like claiming that you have read a book by reading all the letters without ever identifying words (say, you were "reading" a book in a language you don't know at all).
It can be said that reading is hallucinating due to taking some drug called words; even on a one-to-one basis the words don't have the same effect on everyone, and when in a large combinations the end result becomes even more different, so a triggered personal hallucination of sorts.

One thing I like about eighteenth and nineteenth century warfare is that all the armies had entrance music, like professional wrestlers.

Modern war just doesn't have that flair for showmanship.
So does that make the Vietnam war the best modern war, as it had the best soundtrack?

One thing I like about eighteenth and nineteenth century warfare is that all the armies had entrance music, like professional wrestlers.

Modern war just doesn't have that flair for showmanship.

Iirc the prussian marching band in the first battle of the second Schleswig-Holstein war was massacred (along with a considerable number of soldiers). Of course that was the only battle won by Denmark.

View attachment 598851

:lol:

Not even sure how anyone can see it as SF. And the allegorical meaning can be freudian (that is hinted at in Kafka's own diary). Not sure what Dawkins did to his brain, he has been a meme for years :(

Personally I like in a sense that Metamorphosis is indeed kind of pointless, and that is the point. One just get turned into a giant creature and it just works with the absurdity and meaninglessness of life - the pointlessness.

Personally I like in a sense that Metamorphosis is indeed kind of pointless, and that is the point. One just get turned into a giant creature and it just works with the absurdity and meaninglessness of life - the pointlessness.

I actually have written analysis of the story, and there are stuff which one can fail to see while it is really there. For example, did you ever wonder why Gregor so quickly abandons the thought of why he was metamorphosed? It only happens for half of the first page.
My analysis is that he was afraid to look for a reason, so prefers to hope (at least for the first half of the book) that his metamorphosis will go away on its own. Later on he just resigns to his fate. The question as to the reason of the metamorphosis never resurfaces.

Likewise, Kafka never actually found out why he was so hypochondriac, and died at 41 from a psychosomatically-driven illness.

I actually have written analysis of the story, and there are stuff which one can fail to see while it is really there. For example, did you ever wonder why Gregor so quickly abandons the thought of why he was metamorphosed? It only happens for half of the first page.
My analysis is that he was afraid to look for a reason, so prefers to hope (at least for the first half of the book) that his metamorphosis will go away on its own. Later on he just resigns to his fate. The question as to the reason of the metamorphosis never resurfaces.

Likewise, Kafka never actually found out why he was so hypochondriac, and died at 41 from a psychosomatically-driven illness.

Didn't know about the hypochondriac thing, but I really don't care about biography when reading text, at least most of the time.

And, well, it's as easily felt to me as him resigning to pointless non-fate. I don't think it matters much. Nothing really matters. Anyone can see, nothing really matters. Nothing really matters to me.

Dawkins once again proving he should've stuck to biology. Competency in one area isn't necessarily competency in others.

It's thematic reading and trying to shove stuff into genres in order to frame them rather than just enjoying the damn text. I teach writing and reading and it just made me cringe to read that tweet.

Kafka is excellent in particular because it needs no real analysis beyond the fact that it's pointless and bleak. It's throughoutly negative in point, highly absurd, and kind of scary. Now, there are plenty of things that can be analyzed out of them. But the surface level bleak nonsense of Kafka's worlds is just incessantly compelling.

It's thematic reading and trying to shove stuff into genres in order to frame them rather than just enjoying the damn text. I teach writing and reading and it just made me cringe to read that tweet.

Kafka is excellent in particular because it needs no real analysis beyond the fact that it's pointless and bleak. It's throughoutly negative in point, highly absurd, and kind of scary. Now, there are plenty of things that can be analyzed out of them. But the surface level bleak nonsense of Kafka's worlds is just incessantly compelling.

I think that what you focus on is that Kafka's work was supposedly as bleak or futile as could be. But, of course, this isn't true; plenty of other writers who are bleaker, regardless of what the focal point of bleakness would be. Same goes for futility; in many stories by Kafka the futility is relative: you won't achieve what you wanted, but at least you can continue to exist doing a subset of what you like (examples include the novel The Castle*, as well as stories like The Burrow, Arabs and Jackals etc).
For me, when I was a student, the allure (the conscious allure, anyway) was that the worlds in the stories were dark but refined, with usually some kind of game of trying to establish whether if you can rise in that world is even possible. Perhaps that is why the protagonist in The Castle claims that his real profession is a space-surveyor.

I don't agree that you shouldn't care about biographical stuff, let alone when you have the author's own largish diary :)

Kafka has a host of quotes in biographical material which echo the hypochondriac element. A good example: "You shouldn't cheat on evil** by not allowing it its fair share".

*Of course in the end of the Castle (which wasn't written), the protagonist would get official approval to keep living in the village, along with official dismissal of his request to enter the Castle, and (more importantly) he would get that message in his death-bed in the village.

**likely he meant on stuff which are directly against you, like his self-reproaches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom