1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth challenge (huge size)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Matrix, Apr 9, 2011.

1. topsecret

topsecret Believer

I'm playing right now :D
    EDIT: Taking a break, but I'm halfway done :mischief: I'll probably wind up in last place though :D

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I just bought Civ4 complete on steam just so I could play this

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I'm in, sounds like fun. Is this a statistics class project?

If yes, I think this would make for a good regression project too, to try to identify all the predictor variables of success and their relative importance.

4. Haig

Haig Deity

Started the game with Russia.

With my less than stellar skills and strategy, it means that average score for Russia is going to be very low, so it would be a challenge for someone to make it higher. ;)

5. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

You need to put in the PublicMaps folder that is near to where your save games are. On a PC it was like "My games/Beyondthesword/PublicMaps"

I'm not sure what tha analog is on a mac.

6. Matrix

Matrix CFC Dinosaur Retired Moderator

I like your way of thinking! :goodjob:

7. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Is the updated file uploaded already? And what about game speed and difficulty? I am eager to play it out.

8. mynystry

mynystry jaguar warrior from hell

Hi guys, I joined the challenge, I am playing with the Aztecs in monarch difficulty and I am head and shoulders above all others in my continent (just beginning middle ages). One strange thing is that somehow I got contact with Rome, and I have no idea how that happened since I have not seen any Roman unit around. It happened after I built the apostolic palace, it seems that my religion spread to them, looks like a bug.

Mayans got the first religion in America and I got the next, but I chose the mayan religion as state so i am happy and pleased with mayans and incas. Sitting Bull chose my religion and he is making a clown of himself. I got stone and marble so I am the wonder whore and I am also much more advanced. Sitting Bull just declared war on me but he doesn't has a stack, I think I will just treat him like a barb, hehe

enjoying the game but maybe i should have chosen emperor difficulty to make it more interesting. I also didn't like that no trading tech is enabled, I think the AI needs this to be competitive, no tech brokering would have been better

cheers, i'll let you know how the game ends, I expect winning cultural or space race pretty sure

9. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

I started a game as shaka on deity. I quitted that one. Those doomstacks scared me!
    So now I've got a game as Cathy, on Noble.

10. Aiolos

Aiolos Prince

Just started a Native America on Deity, just to see how long I last. Hopeing to axe rush Monty before he can get his massive stacks up.

11. danjuno

danjuno Emperor

@Aiolos: If Monty builds those puny jaguars, your Dog Soldiers will be all over him.
    @OP: Sure, seems cool. Maybe I'll grow a pair and try it on noble.

12. topsecret

topsecret Believer

Attacked by a World War:
    Me vs. Everyone on the planet :D
    I'm restarting :lol:

13. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

The Mac location for a default installation is "~/Applications/Beyondthesword/PublicMaps". However, Mac OSX lets you move such things around to your heart's content. So, for example, I created a subfolder called Games that holds all of my games. Hence, on my Mac the location is "~/Applications/Games/Beyondthesword/PublicMaps". The tilde (~) BTW is the path to your user area of the hard drive, for example "/Users/your-user-name/" or more explicilty "name-of-your-main-hard-drive/Users/your-user-name/". The hard drive name is assumed by the OS in the first example.

14. Haig

Haig Deity

Russia's Campaign to China with the help of Mongols fails miseraby, a plan was made to attack after the destruction of Chinese iron mines, but the Russian attack was poorly cordinated and the Russian horsemen and charioteers were wasted in a numbskulled "charge of the light brigade" -style attack... :(

15. Kadazzle

Kadazzle Emperor

I'm at around ~700BC on my Deity India attempt. It's harder than regular Deity earth, but still easy to win (or so it seems). All I have to say though, is that the deity Egyptian AI on this map is a beast, and without tech trading, it's hard to tech (especially on the Inidian start - you have to settle your 2nd city somewhere with hills, as the only improvement tech you start with is Mining, and you don't want to waste your 3 movement worker turns!).

Also, there's a Town in the ocean near an island off the coast of Africa. Doesn't really matter, just thought it was odd.

16. AugustuCeasar

AugustuCeasar Chieftain

I would think the Inca, because your capitol is separated from the rest of your civ by mountains.

17. illram

illram Deity

Can we play it on normal speed or do we have to use epic?

18. WithTea

WithTea Majority Stock Holder

Epic is now mandatory.

Finishing up as the Native Americans on Monarch, after a couple of false starts. Though the odds are nearly impossible how many others have seen their capitol taken down by a lone warrior overcoming a river to climb a hill and take out the experienced archer hiding behind city walls?

No tech trading sucker punched all the civs except Mansa. Though Mansa wasn't able to buy everyone off into not taking him down without techs to trade away. It's been a real bloodbath. Five civs DEAD. I was going cultural/space, so it wasn't me (mostly). Monty died early somewhere around the fourth city. He was Monty, and being Monty I knew I couldn't trust him and threw two dog soldiers into the forest nearest our border. Bam, in one turn he loses eight Jaguars. Huyana sees how bad Monty's losses are and attacks him from behind. Brings Pacal in and pretty soon the Americas are at peace. I get from Guatemala North, and they split the South. Just running out the clock now.

Finished Apollo, but I'm only twenty-five turns from three legendary. So dropped the science and went straight cultural. What do you need after you're the only one with nukes and there's no U.N.?

Sadly I wish that it would have been more obvious that culture was going to beat out the science, but I wasn't tech trouncing them until Assembly Line. So I wasn't sure which would get done first. Lost a couple of important to my game plan early wonders (MoM, and Schwedagon). Anyways should be able to post the results tonight, early tomorrow.

19. Aiolos

Aiolos Prince

I just hit Industrial, finally finishing up my conquest of the Inca. I managed to Doggy Rush Monty at the start, like Danjuno suggested, and he had two cities filled with nothing but Jags, and his third filled with archers. He send two of the archers to reinforce his capitol but I managed to intercept them. Egypt looks like the big power over in the Old World, with most of Africa owned. :/ I seem to be falling behind tech wise, but the S.A. grasslands are almost chopped and settled, and I'm going to switch to an espionage economy in a few turns. Dont think this ones winnable, unfortunately.

20. SuperClass1

SuperClass1 Chieftain

Does this map have all 34 civs playing on it at the same time? If so how did you add them all on the map. Ive been making my own world map and I can't find a way to add the extra bts civs to the 18 civ map.