Egypt wins, Democracy is safe now with 98% backing it

Not voting mean you have forfieted your right to complain, should the election be free and fair.
Are you proposing some sort of register of non-voters to whom usual entitlements of free expression, assembly, etc. to do not extend, or just being flippant?

If the snap polls go ahead in Thailand (and that's a big if) and the opposition boycotts (which it likely will)... we could see another Thai Rak Thai win on 90%+. 2006 here we come.

Kaiserguard said:
The problem that an armed uprising against the army never comes out of nothing
There's also the rather more prosaic problem that the Muslim Brothers can't hope to win an uprising because just about everyone else supports the army.

Things are getting even more democratic...

new yahoo article said:
No official estimates exist on the numbers of civilians killed by the military during crackdowns after the coup against Morsi. It is estimated that between 1,000 – 8,000 people have been detained and multitudes more have been killed. Understandably, large scale protests associated with the start of the Egyptian revolution have fallen by the wayside.

With such extreme crackdowns and an inability to protest, it is not that much of a surprise that violence and assassinations in Egypt are starting to soar, presenting a growing risk of civil war.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-extreme-measures-egypt-taking-234001896.html

Some tragicomedic moment too:

same article said:
An advertisement for Vodafone Egypt featuring a nonsensically babbling puppet triggered investigations that the puppet could actually be transmitting secret messages in code to Muslim Brotherhood operatives. A Facebook page with over 600,000 followers that was set up to support the Egyptian security apparatus quickly called for the puppet's masters to be arrested for using unknown codes.

I think that Egypt will have a civil war indeed. Which is very sad, but what can happen when the military government kills over 10K people for protesting...

I think that Egypt will have a civil war indeed. Which is very sad, but what can happen when the military government kills over 10K people for protesting...

10 years later, how does Egypt fair now? I always wanted to visit but wonder if it could be considered safe for a western tourist? How "un-democratic" is Egypt in 2024?

10 years later, how does Egypt fair now? I always wanted to visit but wonder if it could be considered safe for a western tourist? How "un-democratic" is Egypt in 2024?

More than Zimbabwe and UAE, but less than Haiti and Azerbaijan

1714234738228.png

I always wanted to visit but wonder if it could be considered safe for a western tourist? How "un-democratic" is Egypt in 2024?
Foreign Office advice:

State Dept. Advice:

Archaeological Paths is pushing a whole series of very upscale Egyptian tours from Cairo to Abu Simbel

Top Bottom