Fall 2017 Update Info

If you start next to the Aztecs
I have had quite a few Emperor starts next to Aztecs with a peaceful victory.
Just do not use any luxuries until he decides you have a lot in common, when he uses a lux it's likely you have the same one for you to start using it.

This fostering provides +12, +3 for a delegation, +3 for a trade route so you can work out their secondary agenda and before you know it you are best buddies guaranteed. You just need to be careful about forward settling him. Quite a few civs have only +6 on primary agenda, the likes of Monty and Fred are early game friends that get harder as life progresses. Others are later game friends like Trajan.

For Alex I will archer rush him as soon as I can, changing all my plans to do so, his more expensive units make him vulnerable really early.

It's so annoying alliances are broken at the moment, makes me war much more often because there is no benefit in not doing so.

Last edited:
People were saying this last xmas so people charged in and proved that you could, yes you cripple yourself and leave yourself open to death but I just did 3 random deity starts ignoring Saladin and I managed to get one and survive.
How much did your starts rely on getting defender of the faith or crusade? I'm wondering if the AI should be tweaked to prioritise one of them based on how much they like the human player. If getting a religion leaves them too vulnerable they should at least be smart about it.

How much did your starts rely on getting defender of the faith or crusade
Neither... holy order. Although back then sure I tried them before someone worked out a better strat.
I am not going to beat them to the gun like at Emperor, I am going to get converted. So I do not activate my prophet. I just get holy sites in cities and build up my faith while they all waste theirs... then I'll activate. Bang 10 converted cities, apostles and inquisitors ready within a couple of turns.
It's a shame in a way as I like the missionary rush but it's a hard hill to climb on deity when you can start at the top.

I'm hoping for an Alert functionality for Religious units. So I can get notified when a swarm of units from other religions, are at my border.

And generally the old Alert function from CivV; I can choose my unit to wake up, when it sees all foreign units, or just hostile once (Barbarians, declared enemies, etc)
A way to "re-cap" why a unite woke up. I good recon unit will turn back when he is observed by player, but now we have no clue why the unit got active, what unit woke him up, and from direction did it come from, and where did it go.
If I have the map centred on that spot, I see it all, and can act accordingly. If I must move the map to a woken unit, I have very little to go on, and can possible get lured into a trap by AI.

Neither... holy order. Although back then sure I tried them before someone worked out a better strat.
I am not going to beat them to the gun like at Emperor, I am going to get converted. So I do not activate my prophet. I just get holy sites in cities and build up my faith while they all waste theirs... then I'll activate. Bang 10 converted cities, apostles and inquisitors ready within a couple of turns.
It's a shame in a way as I like the missionary rush but it's a hard hill to climb on deity when you can start at the top.
Ok, interesting. It sounds counterintuitive though and I think that founding right away could benefit from early theological combat wins (or losses if relics are the goal). But if you're finding that Deity AI can overwhelm a fledging religion too quickly then your tactics seem sound. The other question is are you using a religion-based civilization like Spain who could counter other religions better?

So they are reworking the boring religion aspect of the game by... adding more religious units. Not sure they understand that religious combat is not engaging and the game needs less of it for more ways to create passive religious pressure.

The other question is are you using a religion-based civilization like Spain who could counter other religions better?
No, I like a challenge so play England for most things.
I do not play deity religion nowadays because it does not engage me correctly, I used to play civ V religion because it did. I did play an immortal non conquest RV a month ago to conclusion, it's pretty much the same tactics each time.

How much faith are we talking about here?

How much faith are we talking about here?
Well faith that is gained from not having a religion so while it is less you are also not expending to convert your cities and fight. Holy site and CS faith is quite a bit and if you are not expending it you would be surprised how it will grow. Whether you take Holy order or dance of the aurora or another depends on situation.
You can leave activation as long as you want, you just have to be aware that the AI does not just hog its faith, it carpets its faith. lets the carpets come and flood over you let them fight each other. The time will come when you know you are ready, you know the cost of units so you will know how much you need and your holy sites will all convert to your religion free of charge.
Not my idea, I picked it up in a thread and it does work better than having a serious swamp on your hands at the start. Don;t get me wrong, if they had Apostles getting experience that may be different, but they do not.

Last edited:
So, let's plan an exciting TSL game for post-patch:

Pick Up To Three:
* China
* Japan
* Khmer (yes)
* Indonesia (yes)
* Australia

Pick Up To Two:
* Sumer
* India
* Scythia
* Persia (yes)

Pick One:
* Egypt
* Arabia
* Nubia (yes)

Optional (Recommended):
* Kongo (yes)

Pick Up To Three:
* England
* Norway (yes)
* France
* Spain (yes)
* Germany
* Russia
* Rome
* Greece - Gorgo
* Greece - Sparta
* Poland (yes)
* Macedon

Pick Up To Three:
* America
* Aztecs
* Brazil

I'm not to sure about this set up, and am open to suggestions.

Last edited:
So, let's plan an exciting TSL game for post-patch:

Pick Up To Three:
* China
* Japan
* Khmer (yes)
* Indonesia (yes)
* Australia

Pick Up To Two:
* Sumer
* India
* Scythia
* Persia (yes)

Pick One:
* Egypt
* Arabia
* Nubia (yes)

Optional (Recommended):
* Kongo (yes)

Pick Up To Three:
* England
* Norway (yes)
* France
* Spain (yes)
* Germany
* Russia (yes)
* Rome
* Greece - Gorgo
* Greece - Sparta
* Macedon

Pick Up To Three:
* America
* Aztecs
* Brazil

I'm not to sure about this set up, and am open to suggestions.

Why is Kongo optional? Cause they are OP on TSL map?

Why is Kongo optional? Cause they are OP on TSL map?

Partially, but also because they don't fit into any other group (I would have put them with the three others of Africa, but only one of those should ever be picked, so I wanted them distinct). Also, I can easily see an argument for leaving the core of Africa empty, much like Siberia, Australia, and the Americas. Unfortunately the standard size map is really limiting on civs, so it's tempting to make that decision.

That said, a more balance game might be:

Australia/Indonesia
Khmer/China
Scythia
Arabia/Egypt
Kongo
France
America
Brazil

Good news, the religious units will have their own layer now!

Military units can still destroy them, and only the religious civs try hard to get religion, so other empires will concentrate on other focus. It will probably help them too.

Also AI will be more active in naval invasions and building navies... droool.

So are both Civs included in this DLC or just one? I'm assuming we get both with the DD edition?

So are both Civs included in this DLC or just one? I'm assuming we get both with the DD edition?
I think during the live-stream they said we'd get both (those of us who bought the DD).

I wish I can unsee what I saw on the livestream. Just to see those again exactly the way they were.

And to make the wait easier for this update and the DLC.
My favorite update and DLC (non expansion) in Civilization franchise ever.YES EVER!

Top Bottom