[Feature] Late game content and building changes

And I hope it stays that way #bike4life

As for bunched together, at least in America we don’t have urban areas so tightly squeezed together that the cars barely fit!

Maybe you wouldn't need so many cars in the first place if your civ were to stop spamming Guided Missiles and Jet Fighters everywhere for a turn or two to construct Public Transportation instead. :p

I think the important key is the structure of the Internet project.
My suggestion for the requirements (besides the telecom tech)
- You need at least five labs to build that project, and at least five more labs in nations you have ob with.
- You need at least one other player who has researched computers and globalism.
- You need a computer industries branch.
--> completion of Internet access gives you +1 happiness, and the first building "Internet node". As founder of the project, you are the only player who gets to build two nodes.

The "Internet node" would be a very important building:
- Requirement is the Internet project anywhere in the world, and at least one civ that has both an open border with you and has Internet access.
Benefits are to participate in the Internet (obviously), meaning
+1 commerce for every existing Internet node
+ 1 happiness
+500% boost to research any of the Internet prereq technologies. I looked them up, it's very convenient because nukes and unreasonable military high tech are not a prereq!
- all techs acquired by nations with Internet access are 30% cheaper.

About the modern era culture building, how about a Stadium (e.g. American / actual football, or whatever the cultural team sport of choice is)? Not sure how recent the phenomenon is but it seems to have taken off after WW2 and is certainly bigger than ever right now. It actually would fit very well with the Television tech to represent the mass appeal of major sports events being broadcasted to everyone. And there is art for it.

I would associate a stadium with happiness more than with culture. I can't open the game right now to check, but isn't culture in the game usually representing elite culture more often than popular culture? And I think the amphitheater building (as an equivalent of an ancient age stadium) provides happiness, not culture, right? Not that it makes a huge difference, but just something to consider.

It does. I guess you could argue that it's part of the modern era that popular culture becomes much more important than elite culture, and the advent of mass media techs like Television would reflect that. Cinemas and Broadcast Towers already mostly provide culture and I'd say they are also skewed more towards or at least inclusive of popular culture.

Not sure I like it. For one thing, it's unclear to me what the difference between an amphitheater and a stadium would be.

Maybe it'd feel more thematic to build modern-looking stadiums than amphitheaters in the modern era, but in that case I think amphitheaters should become obsolete at some point.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would then make sure Amphitheatres go obsolete at some point (or even simultaneously) and Stadiums carry forward their effect plus additional benefits.

Oh, as we talk about the late game...

European civ, anyone?
They could rise after 1950 from any after-war congress and include all European civs that are Unstable/Collapsing at that moment, plus all Independent cities in Europe.

Europe would have the core of: Dutch, France, Prussia, Austria, southern Skandinavia; with England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Poland and Greece as historical area. Colonies would be returned to original owners (maybe resurrect those civs as well). In return for such a huge core, all cities outside Europe should get some sort of severe penalty.
Unique Power: Power of Integration: All European civs that become instable after 1950, are flipping their continental cities into the EU, bringing all their units, technology and treasury with them.
Unique Unit: Bureaucrat (replaces Spy). Special promotion: When stationed in an EU city, it increases commerce by 10%, not cumulative.
Unique Building: Standardization Office (replaces courthouse): When not at war, corporations lose their unhappiness and unhealth effects.

UHV victory:
European Markets: Department Store, Supermarket, Hotel and Electrical Grid need to be present in half your cities, by 1990.
European Union: Control (80? 90? 100%?) of the core and historical parts of Europe until 2030 without ever declaring war (on Europeans, or at all)
European Council: Have open borders with your five most powerful rival civs while you are in office as UN Secretary General

If we're gonna suggest modern civs I'd much rather consider People's Republic of China, Modern India, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, etc. since they are independent entities.

Though I can still hope for a Belgian civilization one day on the larger map :p

Also more on topic, but I wish we could add ONE ridiculous futuristic unit for the end of the tech tree. Or maybe just a more useful equivalent to a combat drone idk

This thread isn't for discussing civilizations. The current embargo on adding more civs to the mods is still active for all the old reasons, and when it's lifted there are many better places to start than late game civs.

And there also won't be any giant death bots or whatever that meme is. This is a serious game and not this Civ5 nonsense. If you have more realistic ideas though let's hear them.

And there also won't be any giant death bots or whatever that meme is. This is a serious game and not this Civ5 nonsense. If you have more realistic ideas though let's hear them.
How about drones, terrorists and computer viruses?

Drones are coming soon.

For another late building, what about a high-speed rail? It’s not something used for freight, so it wouldn’t be represented by the railroad improvement—I’d think it’s most like an upgraded Railway Station?

I dunno if it would give Culture, but happiness and health seem plausible

I remember mention of a "terrorist" unit from way back when; it would work sort of like a land version of privateers. Could potentially be a fun idea! And yeah, drones would be nice :) (or not nice, per se :p )

For another late building, what about a high-speed rail? It’s not something used for freight, so it wouldn’t be represented by the railroad improvement—I’d think it’s most like an upgraded Railway Station?

I dunno if it would give Culture, but happiness and health seem plausible
There was discussion about the Shinkansen or something similar with wonders, so maybe it could be a project? Or a normal building of course.

But I haven't seen art for it anywhere yet.

I remember mention of a "terrorist" unit from way back when; it would work sort of like a land version of privateers. Could potentially be a fun idea! And yeah, drones would be nice :) (or not nice, per se :p )
Not sure what to think about having state sponsored terrorism in the game. Terrorists as a barbarian unit (in particular, as a consequence for recent conquests or military activity in general) are something else, but then I'd rather add them as part of a general expansion of barbarian spawns.

Not sure what to think about having state sponsored terrorism in the game. Terrorists as a barbarian unit (in particular, as a consequence for recent conquests or military activity in general) are something else, but then I'd rather add them as part of a general expansion of barbarian spawns.

Somewhat reminds me of Saudi Arabia and Wahabbism.

Top Bottom