1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[FfH II Art Team Blog]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by seZereth, May 19, 2007.

1. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

I really like this idea for Lanun Mages... the Adepts are only slightly tipsy, mages more so, while archmages are drunk off thier arses... :p and look it.

2. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

Voodoo is too Doviello/Clan of Embers-ish. That kind of magic is usually associated with being uncivilized, not being pirates. Really, though, it depends what you think the Lanun are. I've always thought of them as the guys from Sid Meier's Pirates!

On another note, I support the Gypsy model, because I secretly hope the adepts are replaced with the Hippie Barmaid.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/wordpress/wp-content/strategy/pirates/pirates3a.jpg

3. Fenboy

Fenboy King

The current Adept model used to be the Warrior. However it was felt that that the unit looked to advanced to have just come out of the Age of Ice, so a new model was made, and the old one moved to the (vacant) Adept spot.

I always saw the arcane line for the Lanun as some kind of storm witch. Not voodoo, but more...european, if that makes sense. Standing on a cliff edge during a storm, with lightning flashing all around.

4. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

Do you have a picture so we can get an idea of what you mean? I'm a bit curious.

5. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

Just wanted to say the new Gibbon and Donal units are pretty damn cool.

6. Fenboy

Fenboy King

Well not really, it was something I came up with in my head. A minute on Google images comes up with this and this, which isn't really what I was thinking of, but close.

As for new units, the ones I'd love to see would be a Warrior for the Kurios, as its the last one, and a Mage for the Bals, as its such a key unit for them.

Then again, I also want to see the ferretty Kurio recon line...and that post in the hags thread has got me curious about seeing the fatboy Calabim recon line...and the Dwarves still need a Crossbowman don't they and Elohim need all kinds of stuff and...aww crud I just want too many things at once, don't I? :lol:

7. Fenboy

Fenboy King

Donal's pretty damn cool, but I can't help but wonder what happened to his Empty Bier. That item always puzzled me, as in the 'pedia he specifically smashes his shield over a demon's head.

8. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

what exactly is the empty bier?

9. Fenboy

Fenboy King

Its a magic item he uses and can drop; a shield.

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

dwarven berserkers would be awesome. it's kinda unclimatic having them appear like lowly soldiers of kilmorph. it shouldn't be hard, just take a dwarven model, give him two axes and there he goes :lol:

11. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

I can't find the new Corlindale, Donal or Gibbon Goetia models. Anyone have a picture? I went back as far as I could in the thread without getting lost. Maybe I'm just blind. :sad:

12. Fenboy

Fenboy King

None of them got posted, but the new patch is up.

13. Demus

Demus King

Even worse: "bier" is Dutch for "beer", so every time i see that item, i imagine the hero walking around with an empty beer bottle.

edit:
    ah, found it. bier

14. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Ah, yeah. I've been wondering what the Bier was. I keep imagening the same thing as you. :p

15. Kael

Kael Deity

A bier is the slab you lay a body on. Donal picked one up from the temple of bhall when Braduk fell into hell and used it as a shield. The joke being that he was carrying his own Bier with him into each battle. Eventually he had handles fit onto the back.

Physically its a grey stone rectangular shield about the length of a man (though if that makes animations difficult it should just be as big as possible).

If you opt to add it to the model I could also use a seperate version of just the shield to replace the current shield graphic so it matches.

16. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

That reminded me, I'd really like to have a model Sphener's sword and shield by themselves so I can make it a piece of equipment in my version. I'm in no hurry though, as I won't be ready to release anything for quite a while.

17. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

http://formfollowsfunction.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/gypsy.jpg
    http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x113/gypsy4you/Gypsys Graphics/gypsybg-1.jpg
    http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/19390.jpg
    http://api.ning.com/files/YMVNI94bD...9hs9nut01czqmiskNz0oSZw/beautiful_witches.jpg
    http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/gallery/2006/06/20/tiadalma3.jpg
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/...etc/zzzzzzGypsy-Witch-wpwbxx.jpg?t=1238440033
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/FR_ART/People/TheSimbul.jpg

Quite a lot of images.

These are what I think of, when I think of gypsy arcane units. I think they would fit perfectly with the Lanun flavour.

The general defining characteristics:
    Female
    Dark haired
    long, flowy, loose fitting clothing
    usually wearing a bandana, or similar headgear

The very first link is the quintessential example of what I'm thinking of.

18. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

As nice as the empyrean units are, they often seem to dark to me (even more so in some screen shots others have posted). Would it be possible to give them a glowing effect like that Brigit has?

19. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

20. Verdian

Verdian King

My concept of magic users for the Lanun has always been less powerful versions of Hannah herself. If you need a nice picture, just take a look at hers. I'd imagine the adept would be a simple peasant girl in a white dress, and the look would get more wild as the witch progessed in her studies. Regardless of the religion, the Lanun are closely tied with the seas, and that implies contact with the madness it contains.