football thread No11

Messi is just impressive...Argentina just cruising through to the final.

Well, we did give them plenty of help. Guzan should have charged Messi's pass on the first goal, the third goal was simply Guzan getting hung out to dry and don't even get me started on the giveaway that conceded the fourth goal.

Messi's free kick, however, was a thing of beauty. Can't feel bad about losing to a ball that simply cannot be saved.

Well, that was pretty close to a worst-case scenario for me. 32% possession. 0 shots. 1 corner kick. Confirmation of a total lack of depth. This could be "3 steps forward, 2 steps back" if the team takes some kind of lesson from this, but I'm not sure yet if this was educational or just deflating.

Oh, look, Argentina took a match seriously.

Chile are Champions again...The curse continues for Argentina...It's unbelievable that a team with so many talented players is still unable to deliver when they need it the most...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh look, it happened again. It's actually more painful to see a horrible manager such as Pizzi and a bunch of not-really-that-good players from Chile win. Twice in a row.

Now wait until Argentina's players turn (not without reason) on their FA.

Oh look, it happened again. It's actually more painful to see a horrible manager such as Pizzi and a bunch of not-really-that-good players from Chile win. Twice in a row.

Now wait until Argentina's players turn (not without reason) on their FA.

I think Chile has a great team with very talented players. Argentina failed in part thanks to Higuaín and Aguero effing it up when they were in front of goal...This is what? the 3rd time Higuaín misses a potentially title-winning goal? Messi screwed up too, but at least he tried bringing something up front, but none of his teammates were focused today...

Chile needed to buy a referee to gift them a penalty in the 100th minute against Bolivia, they've been overrated for some time.

One thing that baffles me about Argentina is why people think Agüero is a centre-forward. He's not a no. 9, even if some managers play him there in Europe.

10 years, 10 months and 10 days after his debut, Lionel Messi has quit from Argentina's national football team.

I imagine only for a short while, he'll be there in Russia in 2018 I bet.

It probably depends on whether or not Argentina sorts their FA. Messi's leverage is to threaten to quit and take most of their top internationals with him.

Well, that's the main problem… Grondona ruled Argentina's football with an iron fist in a rusty, tetanus-inducing glove. Since 2014, his nº 2, a nonentity known as Luis Segura, has tried to stay on top. Somehow, he's managed to mislay so much of the money given to him by the state TV contracts that the national team couldn't afford to take the underage teams for practice, and occasionally the players have complained about having to pay for their own plane tickets (with the staff at AFA wallowing in millions).

I think that Messi's retirement is a wake-up sign: reform football or we're not coming back.

There's another qualy double date in September, so we'll see by then whether the Argentine executive and/or FIFA have managed to impose a new leadership and maybe even professionalise AFA once and for all.

United's Ibra signing (though expected) is interesting, to say the least.

I think it can work if he can embrace the old Drogba role at Chelsea - he's not the future and while he'll start (with more regularity than a spent Drogba), he's going to come off the bench as Plan B when the tactics dictate that. We're likely to finally get a definitive answer to whether Zlatan is a team player or a prima donna; there's been ample evidence in both directions in the past.

He is a prima donna. He might just find it in himself to be a team player.

I was kinda surprised by that signing. I figured he was somewhat over the hill. His performance in the EURO wasn't all that much either.

I was kinda surprised by that signing. I figured he was somewhat over the hill. His performance in the EURO wasn't all that much either.

I was thinking the same thing, given he's 34. I'm assuming that's getting old for futbol.

Well, by now it's officially unofficial or unofficially official -or whatever- that Lionel Messi will be returning to Argentina's national side around October, or at least some time after the upcoming double fixture against Uruguay and Venezuela. Quicker than I thought. Public demosntrations in his favour helped, also the fact that the government is pushing for the professionalisation of AFA once and for all. The phone call from the Prez might have helped.

Top Bottom