football thread No11

You actually do speak Gaelic? That's pretty impressive

Looking at the numbers the largest population of Gaelic is probably in Scotland, so good thing I threw up that disclaimer after making that claim
It's not that impressive… (not that I speak -or, as you saw last page, write- it that well) it has fewer grammatical cases and verbal forms than many other languages and you have to remember that, as in Polish, it often takes 2-3 letters per phoneme, so all those looong words are actually shorter than they sound. Also, the fact that sentences usually follow a fixed word order makes it easier for learners.
And I'm supposed to be an interpreter in any case so I speak some far more complicated languages e.g. Finnish.

Liverpool was the best team on the field then Salah is out and they've been chasing the ball ever since. Sad. Looks like this is RM's to take unless Lallana can play the game of his life or something.
The hit on Salah was absurd. Should have been a red card and they totally did that planned. If you look closely, it’s undeniable that it was intentional.

It 's ridiculous how Real Madrid finds ways to win...I have never ever seen such mistakes made by Karius in any level of amateur football....

Bale saved the game. If it hadn't been for that spectacular goal they'd only won by Salah's injury and Karius' brainfarts.

I've never seen a professional goalie playing in a top league make 2 huge mistakes like that in 1 game... especially the first... As someone who played net before, that was just hard to watch. I felt bad and awkward for him, but even worse for the fans. My team (also the reds) also lost in a Champions league final recently (different continent), and we lost in a penalty shootout. Our starting goalie made a mistake in the first leg, which people gave him a lot of heat for. Basically "cheated" a bit during a free kick and the ball (which was probably a cross) ended up sailing into the top right corner. If he was in position he should have had that. Anyway, these 2 mistakes are so much worse than that, and the lever of play is much higher, I can't imagine how the fans must feel. I wonder if there's a future for him left at Liverpool, you'd think the fans will not respond well to him being in net next season

It's amazing how RM got away with the CL after a damn mediocre regular season.

Poor Karius, he won't be having a good night sleep in a long long time.
Hmm-mmm:
Concussion may have led to Loris Karius' calamities, says US hospital

A statement released on Monday by the hospital on Dr Zafonte’s behalf and with the player’s permission confirmed that Karius had been concussed.

It read: “On May 31, 2018 Mr Karius underwent a comprehensive examination by Dr Ross Zafonte and Dr Lenore Herget in Boston at Massachusetts General Hospital and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital. After carefully reviewing game film and integrating a detailed history – including his reported present and immediate post-contact subjective symptoms – physical examination and objective metrics, we have concluded that Mr Karius sustained a concussion during the match 26 May 2018.

“At the time of our evaluation Mr Karius’s principal residual symptoms and objective signs suggested that visual spatial dysfunction existed and likely occurred immediately following the event. Additional symptomatic and objectively noted areas of dysfunction also persisted. It could be possible that such deficits would affect performance.

“We also note that Mr Karius has reported significant and steady improvement since the concussive event, and we expect him to make a full recovery based on the results of the examination. We expect that with treatment and by following prescribed activity protocols he will continue to improve. We have encouraged vigilance and an emphasis on safety in his eventual return to full activity.”​

This is what comes from Sergio Ramos being allowed to play live-action Mortal Kombat in more or less every game he does. He did elbow Karius in the face without even getting booked.

Last edited:
He has the chops of a kung fu master, why he ever got to play football is a mystery.

I am extremely indignant that Madrid won the CL by injuring the goalie out of his senses. That's just like... Wow.

His response has been that people criticise him because he's a winner.
Salient points of his statements:
a) Salah was grabbing him (I say bollocks) and anyway it wasn't that bad and he could have played the second half with proper medication :)rolleyes:)
b) scoffs at the notion that Karius was concussed by a mere elbow to the head (which should be a straight red regardless of the
c) It's really that people think differently of him because he's in Real Madrid and a winner for so long (yes, he just bragged there)
(Here's the untranslated original in Castilian Españish)
:wallbash:

It's amazing how RM got away with the CL after a damn mediocre regular season.
It's almost like always something happens that goes their way...The questionable penalty in the 93rd minute against Juventus...Rafinha's blunder that setup the 2nd Madrid goal in the first leg against Bayern, the non-penalty call against Marcelo and the huge blunder from Ulreich during the return leg of the semifinals...The Karius mistakes in the final...

After Salah went down Liverpool fans and fans of the Egyptian national team (particularly them) made death threats against Ramos. :lol:

The real question is, after all the injuries and red cards he's gotten, how come he hasnt been banned off a football pitch for life?

Ramos is a bully but FWIW I'm not lynching him over the Salah injury. When seen from both angles it's seems bad luck is the biggest factor. The elbowing of Karius seems a lot worse but the footage of it isn't all that clarifying.

What makes it bad is he wasn’t even penalized. That kind of dirty hit ought to be a red card.

What predicts a country being good at football - Economist model using a few socioeconomic and sport related variables.

I think they over-estimate Australia's interest in soccer (32% of sport related google searches vs 22% in NZ and 20% in the USA seems implausible, they must have gotten some Australian Rules Football bleedthrough in the topic category), but still, fun little model.

I recommend looking up the video of Mourinho's predictions of WC results.

I saw that, he's a madman

Top Bottom