Game of thrones: Final Season: Winter finally arrives....

Those ballista did an unreasonable amount of damage to the ships. Tension energy like that can't simply evaporate wooden ships.

Dachs afaik is not saying that the early show (or books) didn't have huge plotholes and convenient goings-on. He is saying they did but that later show seasons (5-8) are even worse.
Tldr, although Martin has various glaring flaws, he is still clearly a lot better than the show writers.

To be fair to the show writers if Martin had just got on with writing the books they wouldn't have to try and come up with a story.

Dachs afaik is not saying that the early show (or books) didn't have huge plotholes and convenient goings-on. He is saying they did but that later show seasons (5-8) are even worse.
Tldr, although Martin has various glaring flaws, he is still clearly a lot better than the show writers.
No, that's not what Dachs is saying, that's what I am saying.
How can you manage to misread that much ?

I doubt any show could survive the intense scrutiny that this show does.
I doubt any show could satisfy everyone.
All the people here claiming to dislike the show while they are anticipating and watching every episode and then spending considerable time arguing about it on an obscure website.
I wish I had the talent to write something so awful that it gets this type of attention.
At first it was just the new writers that suck but we've slowly getting to the point that the original material sucked. Oh my.

I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the ride and will miss it when it's done.
And thank all the actors for the magnificent performances (at least most of them) and look forward to seeing them in other works.

Well it's also that in todays inet world with YT and other social media, everybody and their cat gives an opinion about how they think things should be.
What they like, what they think is stupid.."back then" the later seasons might have been accepted as a bonus after the book material ended.

Flaws would have been expected (it's not written by Stephen King), and probably accepted.
So much hype today can only lead to either being disappointed later,
or being one of those who are called fanboys.

I doubt any show could satisfy everyone.
All the people here claiming to dislike the show while they are anticipating and watching every episode and then spending considerable time arguing about it on an obscure website.
I wish I had the talent to write something so awful that it gets this type of attention.
At first it was just the new writers that suck but we've slowly getting to the point that the original material sucked. Oh my.

I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the ride and will miss it when it's done.
And thank all the actors for the magnificent performances (at least most of them) and look forward to seeing them in other works.

Different people like different things. But if you enjoy high-quality fantasy shows, there aren't many options out there. Plus many of the 'haters' enjoyed a great part of the series, and not many will suddenly decide to drop it now so close to the end. It's not that perplexing.

I guess, if anything, what many people don't seem to realise is writing for TV is different from writing texts. TV is a very visual medium, so the visuals matter more than the narrative. In addition, most people aren't fantasy or politics nerds, so they enjoy character drama a lot more. Hence, writing for TV means subsuming the narrative, making it a vehicle to deliver cool scenes and character moments. Texts can't do that, so it has to focus more on the narrative. TV shows that are based on existing well-liked texts hence tend to have better narratives, while those that are not rely a lot on visuals and have poorer narratives. This is what I've noticed from watching different shows. It still annoys me sometimes when the narrative suffers, though.

Does the show not invite intense scrutiny for its marketing? I'm getting served with commercials for the "Final Season" on Youtube which I can't remember ever happening for this show (or any other show) before.

But if you enjoy high-quality fantasy shows, there aren't many options out there.
Agreed, which is why I get amused at the haters of this series and LOTR. Almost all the other Fantasy outright sucks and aren't worth discussing here. (If there are decent ones out there, please post about them folks, because I wouldn't mind finding one)

Does the show not invite intense scrutiny for its marketing?
I don't think so. (but I've been so wrong before) It's just so popular and social media these days demand fodder.
Just look at all the outlets that provide reviews and updates.
I think the marketing is just to get us to see the before airing previews of all their other shows so half the viewing audience doesn't cancel their HBO go subscriptions in two more weeks. ;)

Maybe that is why there are not many threads on other fantasy shows here?
What is your point? That GoT is better than Zena? Ok, it is. Though since season 5 it has gotten closer to Zena :)
I only started watching the show a couple of months before season 4 started. Ultimately if i could go back, knowing how the series developed since season 5, i wouldn't get into the show. It's not the worst thing ever, and i have watched other shows i didn't like.

Agreed, which is why I get amused at the haters of this series and LOTR. Almost all the other Fantasy outright sucks and aren't worth discussing here. (If there are decent ones out there, please post about them folks, because I wouldn't mind finding one)

I'm not a hater at all, I just have criticisms and recognize that the show was objectively better seasons 1-4. It's still fantastic and I can't wait to see the ending.

There are many here that don't share your enthusiasm. I too like to point out less worthy aspects but it doesn't lessen my enjoyment.

I want to encourage any interest in the genre.
I would take a dozen more of these shows, over the standard pap that is being produced.
With hundreds and hundreds of original content being produced, this was worth watching. Most of the rest isn't.

I liked the earlier books and seasons a lot, but there are still plenty of valid criticisms to make there. That doesn't mean it "sucked". Nothing's perfect, and limiting discussion to only the positive is not a very interesting discussion.

People have invested a lot of time over the last 8 years (and for some, almost 25 years since the first book) into a show (and book series) that they greatly enjoyed, then gradually enjoyed less and less. And despite that, there were still the occasional episodes and moments that were great and reminded us why we liked the show so much in the first place, and made sticking through the low points worth it. Of course we're all still watching to see the end! Why wouldn't we be? I'm not sure what's confusing about it. I thought episode one was fine and really liked episode two - is it really that unfathomable why I kept watching after I was disappointed with episode three? Do you routinely drop shows that you've watched for 7.5 seasons because you dislike one or two episodes? That's a difficult thing for me to comprehend, if so.

If you disagree with the criticism and still like the show, then say that; that's fine and you don't have to agree with the vocal minority. No need to frame it within a bizarre, disingenuous narrative.

Most of the weird stuff has been pointed out, but still...
Bronn just walks into Winterfell and blackmails the Hand of the Queen into giving him a kingdom at a crossbow-point?
Ships ambushing dragons?
Dany marches her shipwrecked band of roughly two dozen unsullied at the gates of the Red Keep and demands Cersei to surrender?
Where did she leave Drogon?
In the absence of Drogon, what stopped the garrison from making short work of them, either with ballistas or just by sallying out?
If Cersei killed Missandei, why not Tyrion as well?
Ok, illogical plot all over.

But what left me most perplexed was Jaime.
Did he go to kill Cersei? To save Cersei? Why exactly would news of the ambush spur him into action either way?
I'm confused, because it felt like I should have realized his intention and motivation, but I just don't.

Most of the weird stuff has been pointed out, but still...
Bronn just walks into Winterfell and blackmails the Hand of the Queen into giving him a kingdom at a crossbow-point?
Ships ambushing dragons?
Dany marches her shipwrecked band of roughly two dozen unsullied at the gates of the Red Keep and demands Cersei to surrender?
Where did she leave Drogon?
In the absence of Drogon, what stopped the garrison from making short work of them, either with ballistas or just by sallying out?
If Cersei killed Missandei, why not Tyrion as well?
Ok, illogical plot all over.

Did he go to kill Cersei? To save Cersei? Why exactly would news of the ambush spur him into action either way?
I'm confused, because it felt like I should have realized his intention and motivation, but I just don't.

Drogon was right behind the 100 or so soldiers. Sitting down. I am sure the ballistas couldn't hit him, despite ballistas on ships hitting a moving dragon hundreds of feet high ;)
Or Cercei wanted to be noble and not kill the dragon then and then.

Why was King's Landing in the middle of a barren desert?

They changed the set - up to now KL was (mostly) in Dubrovnik, but now they built a set including the front of the wall (shown in this ep) and two streets. Apparently this was done so as to burn actual (set) buildings in the next episode.
Of course this again damages continuity, but with so much else being inconsistent why not? ;)

Where is the set?

I assumed he decided that he had to kill Cersei (the Mad Queen) to save Kings Landing. That's why we saw Sansa pointedly indicated that Dany was sure to kill Cersei now; to instil in Jaime the belief that Dany is angry and will immediately go after Cersei, and that Cersei will force her to burn down the city to do that.

Top Bottom