[GS] Gathering Storm Unique Infrastructure Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
14. Germany - Hansa [19]
15. Greece - Acropolis [35]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [27]
24. Korea - Seowon [8] (11-3) --- When I add the traditional adjacency bonuses to the newer ones (fissures & reefs) then factor in the placement restrictions and attendant frustrations involved I tend to think of this as a negative. I can place allot of +3 and above campus districts on Gathering Storm maps. So what if they take a bit longer to build.
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [15]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [7] (6+1) --- I rather like this district and think it should last at least longer then the Kampung (which I find of little practical value).
38. Russia - Lavra [32]

14. Germany - Hansa [19]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [24] (27-3): Don’t think this should be as high and definitely not above the Seowon. I love this improvement, but even with Kampungs I prefer non-coastal cities. Until civil engineering (which does come pretty late in the game), they only give +1 production and a bunch of food. Yes, the housing is nice and is the only reason coastal cities are viable for Indonesia. I would even argue that recent buff to coastal cities made this worse than before, since they don’t get the extra production from shipyards and other civs now have a much easier time to make use of those cities.
24. Korea - Seowon [9] (8+1): Just like the Acropolis this is the reason why Korea has a hill start bias, which is arguably the best start bias in the game. This more than makes up for the fact it has to be put on a hill. The Seowon is next to the Lavra the earliest unique district you can get, which means be spamming these you get the district discount earlier and more reliable than all other civs. And yes, buying a tile for this can be painful, but if you really don’t want to spend that money, you can still get a +3 adjacency. It is a bit weaker but at the end of the day the +3 is the most important thing for the rationalism boost. No other civ can as reliable get at least a +3 Campus in all their cities, especially in late game cities. Being half price, you can even settle late game cities in the middle of tundra with a couple of chops and still get a +4 Campus quite easily (and then buy the buildings). And then there is the extra science form mines (which you want to work anyway) and food from farms, which allows you to reach pop 10 faster and work more science mines.

26. Mali - Suguba [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [6] (9-3)
38. Russia - Lavra [32]

14. Germany - Hansa [19]
15. Greece - Acropolis [36] (35+1) I really like the earlyness of the Lavra but overall this puppy just owns in so many ways despite being hilly.
20. Indonesia - Kampung [21] (24-3) not at the same level as a district. Really nice but not to the level of a Cothon. I prefer the Pairidaeza over this for the culture and tourism
24. Korea - Seowon [9]
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [6]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]

14. Germany - Hansa [19]
15. Greece - Acropolis [36]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [21]
24. Korea - Seowon [9]
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [12] (15-3) I have not found these to be that impactful. Am I missing something on why they’re this high?
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [7] (6+1) Phoenicia plays the best wide game in a game that rewards wide play.

38. Russia - Lavra [32]

14. Germany - Hansa [20] (19 + 1) This district is so much not like the Seowon in the fact that it has no malus. It gets + 2 adjacency from commercial hubs, and like the Seowon is half cost. So basically its only half cost like the Seowon. In every other way its better.
15. Greece - Acropolis [36]
24. Korea - Seowon [6] - (9 - 3) Science is important but it isn't everything anymore in GS. I really just don't like how this district forces me to isolate it. I have to worry the whole game about lowering its adjacency. I invariably forget and then now i'm looking at a subpar district late game.
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [12]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [7]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]

This is an outrage...the best unique tile improvement in the game, something which is available from turn 1 and gives you huge, highly productive cities from the Ancient Era and onwards, eliminated and finished in 9th place? And now, the best unique district, which happens to be an enhanced version of the most important basic district, is set to finish at 7th or 6th, outside even the top 5? Fiddlesticks!

14. Germany - Hansa [20]
15. Greece - Acropolis [33] (36 - 3) In order to avoid downvoting the Hansa twice in a row, the Acropolis gets to take the hit tonight. It's actually a great district, but: Theatre Squares are nice, but not nearly as high priority as, say Campuses. The extra envoy is good, and synergizes well with Pericles, but I tend to have more than enough envoys throughout most of the game anyway. Finally, having to place these on a hill is a clear negative, which makes it harder to get those amazing wonder adjacencies I often get with my Theatre Squares.
24. Korea - Seowon [7] (6 + 1) I'm surprised so many seem to think +4 isn't a great average Campus adjacency even in GS, and how many undervalue a the fact that this is a half price version of the one district you are likely going to build in every one of your cities, from the Ancient Era until the very end. If you don't see the value of a large tech lead, I wonder what game you are playing. I agree the negative adjacency for other districts is a bummer, but in practice, it isn't that hard to work around. Also, the extra science from adjacent mines goes a long way towards compensating for this, and the bonus food for adjacent farms also helps a bit.
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [8]
38. Russia - Lavra [32]

EDIT: Fixed the score for the Cothon, as @BarbarianHunter's latest upvote was missing.

Last edited:
Right, Cothon is 8 now, barbarianHunter's upvote was skipped.

14. Germany - Hansa [21] 20+1 Although I think generally speaking UI>UD, I suppose this is more endangered than Kampung now.
Beelining Aprenticeship is easy, giving crazy adjecences for the most important yield in game. Double it with policy card. Beeline industrialisation and multiply it by two with coal plant. Crazy, crazy, crazy. germany is meh without it
15. Greece - Acropolis [33]
24. Korea - Seowon [7]
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
38. Russia - Lavra [29] 32-3 Pretty much guarantees religion, but it is still a holy site. The least needed district in my games. Because Russia has no growth/production/housing bonuses (feed the world usually goes first believe and hammer tundra only gives back what was taken away from tile) and tend to start in tundra, it severly delays more important Campuses, CH/Harbours, IZ, TS (so not able to get immediate culture from GWAM as well), or depending on game also encampments. It ends up as Russia i have often worse starts than many other civs (except the case of mass conquest with monks), even though free tiles on settling is IMO the best unique ability in game. Taken separately it is crazy strong, but the competition between districts brings this heavily down.

Last edited:
14. Germany - Hansa [21]
15. Greece - Acropolis [34] [33+1] Thanks for buffing this a few years ago Firaxis.
20. Indonesia - Kampung [18] [21-3] Making something of dead tiles is strong, but I think Persia's UI is slightly better. And the remaining districts provide more impact.
24. Korea - Seowon [7]
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
38. Russia - Lavra [29]

14. Germany - Hansa [21]
15. Greece - Acropolis [34]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [15] [18-3] nice job making it here, but i can't find the population to work the spams after working the better land tiles
24. Korea - Seowon [8][7+1] this thing here is better than a +4 campus, and you don't consistently get +4 campus everywhere either
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
38. Russia - Lavra [29]

14. Germany - Hansa [21]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [15]
24. Korea - Seowon [9] (8+1) This is still really good. You're not getting higher then +4 in most of your campuses, heck youre not going to match it, and even then you're getting this at half price. If you're getting less than 3 you're probably not planning your districts.
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [5] (8-3) The better harbor UD for sure, but by the time it became relevant for the settler bonus, it only works for maybe 2-3 of your desired settlers, unless you hinder yourself some by beelining.
38. Russia - Lavra [29]

14. Germany - Hansa [18=21-3] I guess there's no reason to upvote this one actually. Unless you haven't played a single game. When I play Germany I find the best way is to use Hansa as a situational district while prioring normal campuses, instead of vice versa.
20. Indonesia - Kampung [15]
24. Korea - Seowon [10=9+1] I guess there's no reason to downvote this one actually. Unless you haven't played a single game. Either only having the +4, or only being half priced, worth at least twice as much as Hansa.
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [5]
38. Russia - Lavra [29]

Last edited:
14. Germany - Hansa [18]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [16] 15+1 One of the best tile improvements. I am surprise that the only other tile improvement left is the Pairidaeza. Their are a few improvement better than that one. It seemed like tile improvement got downvote just to counter arguments instead of if it was the weakest UI left at the time. I like tile improvement better than districts but most player disagree.
24. Korea - Seowon [10]
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [2] 5-3 Its the worst district left.
38. Russia - Lavra [29]

14. Germany - Hansa [18]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [13] (16-3) I think this is the worst left and I don't think it's close.
24. Korea - Seowon [10]
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [2]
38. Russia - Lavra [30] (29+1) I don't really want to upvote this because it's just so stupidly overpowered, but I am, because it's just so stupidly overpowered.

14. Germany - Hansa [19] 18+1 Most comparable to the suguba. +2 Hammers beats +2 Gold from the suguba most of the time. So im gonna go with the Hansa.
20. Indonesia - Kampung [13]
24. Korea - Seowon [10]
26. Mali - Suguba [27]
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [9] 12-3 All the other infrastructures are civ defining. The Pairidaeza just doesn't feel as civ defining. Also personal dislike for the appeal game.
38. Russia - Lavra [30]

14. Germany - Hansa [19]
24. Korea - Seowon [11] = 10 + 1 Science wins games, even cultural victories need science. This gets your science on.
26. Mali - Suguba [24] = 27 - 3 Like Germany, it takes too long to set up these clumps, like half the game long. It's impressive when you see those +12's, but it takes a while. You need to build 2 districts to really make this work.
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [9]
38. Russia - Lavra [30]

14. Germany - Hansa [19]
15. Greece - Acropolis [35] Theatre Squares are harder to get good adjacencies for than most districts...
24. Korea - Seowon [11] .
26. Mali - Suguba [21] = 24 - 3 My favourite Mali feature, but I don't think it's as good as some of the other districts up here.
38. Russia - Lavra [30]

14. Germany - Hansa [19]
24. Korea - Seowon [12] Science wins games. Half-priced Campuses with above average adjacency bonuses with games faster. Plus, Korea gets a hill start bias because of Seowon!
26. Mali - Suguba [21]
35. Phoenicia - Cothon [-1] I really like the art and the idea is really good, too, but in practice this one is awkward to use since the tech for Harbors is out of the way and waiting for Cothons makes your Settlers late.
38. Russia - Lavra [30]

14. Germany - Hansa [19]
20. Indonesia - Kampung [14] = 13 + 1. Makes coastal cities good without having to wait around for harbor buildings to be built.
24. Korea - Seowon [12]
26. Mali - Suguba [21]
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [6] = 9 - 3. Meagre bonuses unless you build your cities around them.
38. Russia - Lavra [30]

14. Germany - Hansa [20] = 19+1. This is consistently easy to reach really high adjacency bonus. +2 for commercial hub. +2 for water infrastructure. +1 for every resource. And then +100% card and +100% coal power plant.
20. Indonesia - Kampung [14]
24. Korea - Seowon [12]
26. Mali - Suguba [21]
34. Persia - Pairidaeza [6]
38. Russia - Lavra [27] = 30-3. Great for faith/religious game. But otherwise you need to dedicate your two first districts to Holy Site and Theatre Square (for all those great works). That means your entire early/mid game is decided with two less than great district types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom