1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gr7 - AWM vs 30 civs on a giant map

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Greebley, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ThERat

ThERat Deity

looks like solid progress, Zulu and Spain gone. America almost, now there are only 6 nations left and with the amount of armies you are getting, this should be a matter of a few turns. once we can reach the Aztec and Ottoman Islands, the game is almost done.

2. markh

markh Deity

Yeah, actually my mistake. Should have pounded the Impi with artillery and bombers, so our MA would have got a chance at least. Without this it was hopeless. :)

3. jeffelammar

jeffelammar Space for rent

lurker's comment: I just wanted to say that I am impressed that you guys have the patience to play this.

Last night I wanted to experiment with Paratroopers and Helicopters, so I picked up your save (the most convienent one that I knew of with close to the necessary techs, besides I've been curious since I started following)

Turns take Soooo long. I am not worthy. :worship:

You guys :rockon:

4. markh

markh Deity

IBT : Vikings landing at Lacka...

1890AD : 2 new armies
    We take Thessalonika, Athens, Marathon, Eretria
    We destroy the Americans

I went through all cities, so it should be ok. Armies are on the way to the Aztec island and can land next turn. The landing at Lacka... could cost us the city. I did not expect the Vikings to land 7 cavs and an infantry. There are still 6 cavs left there that could attack the city or the airfield. Normally our forces there should hold both.
    Sir Bugsy, you have quite a bunch of armies to play with on the playfield. What surprises me is that I have not seen any French units.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/gr7_1890AD.zip

5. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Have you reached 100 armies yet?

6. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

The ironic thing is that after playing AG3, these turns seem fast by comparison. Simply razing a city would take long enough that you could start razing the city, go make a sandwhich, and eat it before the game returned if you were a relatively fast eater (but no need to hurry excessively either).

--------------------

More good progress :hammer:

So it sounds like we have the Ottomans and Aztecs on the islands, and Vikings and France on the main continent.

France has very poor land. That might explain their lack of participation. I think they have been a minor opponent all game. It will be slow taking their land - they have lots of tundra with trees, IIRC.

Roster:
    Greebley - possibly on deck depending on how many turns Bugsy plays.
    ThERat
    Markh - Just Played
    Sir Bugsy - Up

7. ThERat

ThERat Deity

most annoying are worker actions that add nothing to the fun. The rest of the game is pretty nice to fight so many wars. Of course, there is no suspense whether we will win this game, but it's still fun to play.

8. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I have it. I will give as much detail as possible.

Edit - the file has actually gotten smaller and is down 1.27MB. Only a two minute download. :D

9. markh

markh Deity

There are still 6 or 7 Greek cities left on the main continent, but they will fall fast. We have so many MA armies now that they should fall within 1 or 2 turns.

10. Aggie

Aggie Deity

I read the complete Lord of the Rings trilogy while playing AG3 :) Great game guys! And nice to see that Greebley still likes enormous maps :D

11. jeffelammar

jeffelammar Space for rent

lurker's comment: Lets hear it for killing off hundreds and hundreds of AI troops. :hatsoff:

12. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Hi Aggie,
    Sad to hear you are not coming back for Civ 4, though I understand the sentiment. SGs are major time commitments. I stopped playing online games for that reason. (but then got hooked by SG's so didn't end up ahead :crazyeye: )

I am hoping that Civ4 won't have the huge slowdown that Civ3 has for large maps. I do enjoy playing them.

13. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

First, a late start as I was distracted by the baseball game. My apologies.

Pre-flight – Things are looking good. I don’t feel like MM our civilization. We don’t have great front control as the Greeks and Vikings stream north. We’ll have some mop up to do.

1892 – Start by bombing everything in sight. Spend a good amount of time cleaning up all these straggler AI units. I suppose it is easier to kill them in the open.

The start on the front. At Kago shima…

Oh, let me give everyone an overview of the front. Here is the western portion of the Greek Front:

We take Delphi without loss. We lose a cav army taking Yokohama, and I spot some French units, south of Greece. Take Tokyo.

Land some troops in Ottoman Lands.

Exactly how many workers do we have. I get tired of messing around with those on the main land and shift-A them. They all run to cities and wait for pollution to occur. So we have nothing to improve on the mainland., or very little.

Found Gothmog, Sullla.

Time to stop for the night.

14. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

1892 (con’t) Start out evening number two with this good news…

Here’s where the French have been hiding out. We also capture Troy on the west coast of this continent.

IBT – That stack of Frenchmen captures Mycenae. The Indians also found Calcutta north of Greek lands.

1894 – Raze Calcutta. Hee’s an overview of the north end of the Ottoman Empire:

Capture Sparta

Also Capture Thermopylae, Kyoto, and Pharsalos. Recapture Mycenae. Found Frontline and Frontline 2 to create a city barrier.

Here is the western portion of the front:

We attack and capture Osaka, Nagasaki, and Satsuma from the Indians. Nagoya and Matsuyama from the Vikings.

We kill six defenders in Azteca but we don’t take the city. Here is the picture in Azteca:

And so ends the second day.

15. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

A closing note - we are set up to take out both the Greeks and the Indians next turn. The Indians have an island city, but they be through. The vikings will be the next focus, plus mopping up the islands.

16. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

The AI is getting slaughtered, but is still at war with one another :crazyeye:

I am curious about our present unit counts (including armies). They must be pretty high by now.

17. Own

Own Grasshoppah

lurker's comment: I would be interested too ;) . I've never seen so many units on monarch. I usually just waltz in and nobody counter attacks. Maybe it's modern factories and such

18. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

Let there be light! :lol:

19. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

The third day starts with some MM, then a fairly uneventful IBT.

Oh, for Greebley – 69 armies, 141 MA.

1896 – Our first effort is at Knossos.

Which means

We are down to five opponents.

Capture Izumo from the Vikings.

Oh, let me give you the big picture. Here is France:

Brest is captured. We also capture Nara to toss the Indians off the second continent.

The game shifts to Azteca so we capture Tlacopan

Our campaign in Azteca bogs down as two spears take our MAs down to red before they die. We capture Stockholm from the Vikings.

Here is what the land looks like east of the mountains:

Continuing the campaign, we capture Bodo, Reykjavik, Alesund, Oslo, Hareid, Aarhus, Bergen, and Stavanger.

Over in Ottoman lands we finally capture Istanbul.

And so ends the third evening.

20. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Here’s an update halfway through evening number four.

1896 (con’t) – We start out by capturing Birka in southern Scandinavia. In Ottoman land, We raze Edrine.

IBT – Miniturization comes in. Stealth next. We start the Internet so I can report this game on CFC.

1898 – Thanks to air power, we capture Chartres without firing a shot. We only have an archer to kill in Rheims. And we also have this nice event:

We keep the city and form an army.

We capture Trondheim and the Pyramids.

We also capture Copenhagen.

Over in Azteca we raze Tenochtitlan.

In Ottoman Land – we raze Uskudar. Abandon Istanbul, since there are a lot of Ottomans who would like to get it back.