Guess the Map 12: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Hate Mercator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paraguay looks miserable. Later on it stole a region from its other neighbor (who really should have tried to form an army, after the triple alliance war).
Bolivia had entered the part of the chaco always having been considered part of paraguay, and paraguay fought a war to get it back

I am looking at the map, and with India, South Africa, Indonesia and Mexico, and also lots of Southern America, I'm somehow thinking something colonization related, but whole of Europe doesn't make sense then. Although most marked countries there did have colonies or extraterritorial settlements (although... not sure about Hungary).

Does it have something to do with war participation?

Obviously 1919-1923 period. Colors could be league of nations related (?)

It is related to that time period. The colors are not related to the League of Nations.

The absence of color in Africa signifies this doesn't have much to do with french.

The source I used did not have data for the grey countries. Most of those places would probably have some color if I looked for other sources.

I am looking at the map, and with India, South Africa, Indonesia and Mexico, and also lots of Southern America, I'm somehow thinking something colonization related, but whole of Europe doesn't make sense then. Although most marked countries there did have colonies or extraterritorial settlements (although... not sure about Hungary).

Does it have something to do with war participation?

While the topic is not explicitly about war or colonization, it is related to both.

Hungary had a war against Romania, but you don't see Romania being in color.
British East India Company being separate from Britain is interesting.

The data I used treated the different countries that made up the empires individually. So all the territories like India, Indonesia, South Africa, Philippines, etc are on their own.

Exports of hot spicy food?

No, it's not exports.

Maybe some kind of embargo?
It's not like many would be buying stuff from soviet Russia at the start of the 20s.

It is not related or to about the Russian revolution (though I'm sure the Russian revolution affected this, as it probably affected everything in Russia).

Last edited:
Why did Argentina help Paraguay?
Disuninterestedly of course:
Then, in 1928, oil was discovered in the foothills of the Andes at the western extremity of the Chaco. Bolivia suddenly took belated notice of its neglected territory and sought to assert its rights. The Gran Chaco seemed on the verge of an oil boom. Further oil fields might lie beneath the Chaco's arid plains. More importantly, Bolivian-controlled pipelines and a sovereign oil port now seemed absolutely necessary. Without them, Argentina would have a monopoly on shipping the oil and the nation's rightful profits would be syphoned off by foreign speculators.

death rate from plague and starvation are pretty different though

I have a map if nobody wants to post

Sorry, I haven't checked in the past few days.

Gonna say open floor, because I probably have to be rather busy. I might post one, but don't count on it

edit : map too small in scale , removed .

Attachments

• IMG_20201012_162654_064.jpg
    IMG_20201012_162654_064.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom