Guess the map 13: Mercator maps are cool, actually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda-ish right. If you manage to connect it to current events...

and this also have something to do with Ukraine's conflict with Russia?

Okay, its not members of NATO forces in Afghanistan or Iraq. Its not the largest military spenders in the world. It is not arms exporters or importers to a particular place because China is not coloured. At this point I am thinking its either occupation of a target country at some point or joint military operations membership. China missing from this list is making it difficult.

To do with Afghanistan?

No, not agriculture, but exporting has something to do with it.

Something with military, yes, proceed from there please :).

arms trading?

Kinda-ish right. If you manage to connect it to current events...

Israel.
Something to do with spycraft?

Oh! Uh, countries with government officials targeted by that NSO group spyware that is out there?

I think someone should be able to finish it now :D.

I can list ones that it is not that have me stumpted:
  • Targets of NSO : Already said
  • Source of NSO : Not Israel or Saudi
  • Targets of state level hacking : Not Iran

Targets of NSO : Already said

I already have this in my mind, however as it's already mentioned by Deadly and it's not that, so I really don't know what else.

Last edited:
Targets / sources of non-state level hacking. Money lost / gained to scams above median?

countries... that have Israel embassy? I mean, like, recognizing Israel as a state? Russia got on and off relation, but the rest mostly fit the category. Russia is on the map, while China already formally established relation in 1992. But it seems has to do with the nation diplomatic relationship with Israel.

Since it seems to hard, I award the winning guess to @Deadly Dog .

Oh! Uh, countries with government officials targeted by that NSO group spyware that is out there?

This was not what I was searching for, but the closest.
The map shows participans in the Wassenaar Arrangement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassenaar_Arrangement , which regulates the export/trade of weapons and dual-use goods, so things which can be used for civilian or military purposes.
The NSO software falls under this arrangement, and therefore I was trying to connect it to current events.

@Deadly Dog is up next :).

So had the pegasus software been written anywhere in the west they would not have been able to sell it to Saudi? Makes sense.

More surprising is that you assumed we would all know that Ukraine has signed up to arms control agreements, but say Belarus has not. :p

I should have read that article on the Pegasus project.

Well, ok, I have this unlabelled map I was able to find on teh interwebs. Until I learn how you are loading datasets into those blank maps I've got this one which I think will be fairly easy:

guessmymap.png

So no countries, just what is being shown? Colours are simply to distinguish the polygons, they have no numerical value attached.

Something about geology? Primary surface rock type?

Cool to have a different one.

River bassins in relation into which part of the global ocean they fall into.

Also the Caspian sea is missing from this map. My guess because its a closed system as far as the global ocean is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom