Have you ever been on a blind date? Would you go?

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
Ah, the proverbial blind date. Maybe not so common now with Tinder and the like taking the stage in the past few years, but I'm sure that the concept still exists. Usually it happens when your friends fix you up with someone, although I have heard of it happening between people using the phone and they have never met.

So? Have you ever been on a blind date? And would you go on a blind date with someone if the possibility was offered?

Relate your experiences. Regale us with tales. Tickle our collective fancies with a good story.

I've been on a few. I will share one shortly (I'm at work and don't have much time ATM), but in the meantime, please discuss your experiences, or lack of experiences. :)

I remember going on one to the LA Zoo. It was okay. About the same time, I went on one to see star wars, and then tried to explain it to her. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, after law school I was fixed up on a lunch date. The lady had beautiful hair but a clunky haircut; beautiful eyes and coke-bottle glasses. Never has anyone worked so hard to make herself look unattractive:dubious:.

Last edited:
First and last, in college, the equivalent to junior prom. My buddy set me up with his cousin. Yes, that is as pathetic as it sounds. She was pleasant, I was a dork, everyone was nice about it but everyone was also clear by the next day that it was a one-time thing.

Since then almost all my girlfriends I've originally met on the internet (three out of four, and the first one shouldn't count so really three for three) and I've married two of them.

Back many years ago there was 2. They didn't go well, and there was no second date.

No, thought I'd be down to go on one.
It can't be any less productive than my love life the last couple months.

Kind of. It was kind of a set up via a friend.

Fundamental problem I don't think we liked each other by the end of the night.

I've been on some "instant dates" where I knew nothing about the other person and did an "ask them out basically right now" process. Does that count as a blind date?

Some went well. a couple went terrible, most were in between.

I've been on some "instant dates" where I knew nothing about the other person and did an "ask them out basically right now" process. Does that count as a blind date?

No you knew what they look like at least. She's cute I'll hit on her;).

No you knew what they look like at least. She's cute I'll hit on her;).

Meh. "She's cute I'll hit on her" doesn't cover the same ground as "I don't even know this girl's name and I'm committing to spending the entire evening with her if she agrees." "Hitting on" you can walk away from if she displays the personality of a rockfish. My approach left me no option for bailing out once I got past "hi, are you Diane?"

Meh. "She's cute I'll hit on her" doesn't cover the same ground as "I don't even know this girl's name and I'm committing to spending the entire evening with her if she agrees." "Hitting on" you can walk away from if she displays the personality of a rockfish. My approach left me no option for bailing out once I got past "hi, are you Diane?"

Ah dating like that complete mystery.

All my girlfriends were friends of female friends. Things happen, you hang out a bit and next thing you notice is your 20th anniversary sometime in November.

Ah dating like that complete mystery.

All my girlfriends were friends of female friends. Things happen, you hang out a bit and next thing you notice is your 20th anniversary sometime in November.

I had a pair of season tickets and most games in the afternoon before the game I went looking for someone to have dinner and go to the game with me, usually with success surprisingly enough, though it took persistence. Spoiler alert, none of them were actually named Diane.

I had a pair of season tickets and most games in the afternoon before the game I went looking for someone to have dinner and go to the game with me, usually with success surprisingly enough, though it took persistence. Spoiler alert, none of them were actually named Diane.

That takes a fair bit of courage/confidence.

Never picked up an unknown for coffee let alone anything else.

That takes a fair bit of courage/confidence.

Never picked up an unknown for coffee let alone anything else.

Actually all it takes is a willingness to not take no personally. I probably averaged about fifteen "I'm married/have a boyfriend" chops and fivish hard no way chops per game, but I very seldom ran out of time before I found some adventurous soul who had nothing better to do.

Actually all it takes is a willingness to not take no personally. I probably averaged about fifteen "I'm married/have a boyfriend" chops and fivish hard no way chops per game, but I very seldom ran out of time before I found some adventurous soul who had nothing better to do.

No was never a major problem but I generally only asked out girls I had vibes from.

No was never a major problem but I generally only asked out girls I had vibes from.
With instant dating there was no time for vibes. Since I knew it would generally take fifteen, twenty, twenty-five candidates it was strictly a matter of moving from one no to the next as quickly as I could manage. I'd usually start around three, three thirty figuring five-thirty, sixish quick dinner, seven o'clock game time, post game tradition ice cream unless we really didn't like each other, spa time in the divers' warming pool at the college (I ran the aquatics center) if that seemed called for.

It was a shallow life, but someone had to live it.

I went on one once. We hit it off pretty well that day, but at the time I didn't realize how much clinging I was in for. That could happen with anybody unless you know them really well though...people are pretty different in relationships vs just working with them or talking to them on occasion.

Other than that one and the time I was invited on a date without realizing it would be a date (and I had good reasons not to expect it), my stories are pretty mundane.

Good golly Miss Molly, I can not begin to imagine the creatures from beyond the deep I would encounter if I asked anyone I knew to set me up.

Haha, these days I'd think the same thing. Maybe with an exception for people at work, but we're not close enough to do that normally.

have you? more or less, yes

woud you again? yeah, I think surprises are lots of fun

I've been on some "instant dates" Does that count as a blind date?

no

I've been 3 times for speed dating, and had follow up dates. So we talked only 5 minutes before, does this count ^^?

I think I've know most of my friends closer female friends, so not sure if a real blind date was actually ever an option.
I did ask a female friend to help me with two of her female friends (just getting the phone number), so that's what comes closest to it. Both didn't work, since one was too stressed to think about it when I asked her, the other one I asked basically shortly before moving (not that far) away, so she was not interested.
I would be up for blind dates, but that depends on whom is organizing it. I had in mind to ask another friend to set me up with her friends, but she's nosy and I didn't really trust her with that :lol:.

Top Bottom