1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

History questions not worth their own thread IV

Discussion in 'World History' started by Plotinus, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Priam, pfft, that's baby stuff. The King of Denmark can trace his decent to Odin.

2. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

lol. Confucius the continent crossing rake. I like that. They should make it into a tv show.

3. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I assume he hitched a ride with Zheng He and impregnated his all female crew.

4. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Well Zheng He certainly couldn't! :p

5. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

25 centuries is 62 generations at 40 yrs/generations, which is 4,000,000,000,000,000,000 lines of ancestry (obviously tens of billions of them going back to the same person). It doesn't take all that much wandering for you to have some ancestors from pretty much anywhere, especially since Chinese emperors would send off Imperial princesses as part of peace treaties with barbarians, and I'm sure some of Confucius's descendants married into Imperial families.

6. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

In theory, yes, enough time has passed. But in actual practice, lineages die out, closed communities avoid any outsider genes, and Confucius obviously couldn't cross any bloody oceans to the Americas, let alone more isolated communities like Easter Island and Bermuda. It is unlikely enough that Confucius has a significant number of European descendants - though he likely has some, given the length of time that has passed - let alone has descendants amongst Native Americans, Polynesians, and other distant groups. How would Confucius's genes make it to the Amazon, just to give one example?

7. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

(1) Among the peoples imperial princesses would have been sent to are Turks, Mongols and probably Huns, all of whom left descendants in Europe many centuries ago. The Huns ruled as far as the Rhine, and the Magyars raided as far as Aquitaine.
    (2) Native Americans have not been a closed community for five hundred years. Pretty much all Native Americans by this point would have a few ancestors who came from Europe.
    (3) Bermuda is not all that isolated when you take the time span into account. Europeans have been settling there for four hundred years. Easter Island, possibly, although they've been visited by Europeans for a couple of hundred years, not to mention slave raiders in the 1860s, missionaries, archeologists, sheep ranchers (as if the island wasn't denuded enough)...

8. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Indigenous Australians with no European ancestors? I know more than a few of those. I'm also familiar with a large number of Polynesians with no European ancestry.

9. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

You really can't admit when you're obviously wrong, can you? It's not a good habit to have.

10. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Nope, he can't. Also, Magyars aren't Turks, Mongols or Huns; and the Huns were not Xiongnu.

11. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I feel this should be somewhere everyone should see before posting. Possibly int the board's name.

12. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

So can the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Ostensibly.

13. Millman

Millman Mark the Magnificent

It sounds like the theme of this debate is it's a miracle we're all still here. There's plenty of ways we could have been wiped out by now.

Picking why a civilization is more relevent than another is bias.

14. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

You know, we've got a lot of people who are barely coherent, a lot of people who are crazy, and even a few that combine the two (r16, Borachio...), but I have to say, I missed your particular brand of unstructured lunacy, Millman.

15. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Okay, here's what I can't wrap my head around. How can you track your decent to Odin but not trace you decent to Buri?

16. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

You say this like coherency is a good thing . I think a lack of would improve alot of posting

17. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I beg to differ. Personally I'd rather be outraged at an inflammatory but coherent post than read incomprehensible babble.

18. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

My beef lies with stupidity , not flammability .

Note , I'm not ruling myself out of this either

19. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

Then what are you doing in World History? :p

20. west india man

west india man Immortal

Assuming that lineage goes through William the Conqueror, that means I myself can also trace my ancestry to Odin.

Back on topic, EU3 mods tell me that the Red Turban Rebellion had several factions trying to topple the Yuan dynasty. What happened to them after the Ming took power?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.