How can I stop my mom from smoking in my room??

I tried talking reasonably to her, but
She's beyond this point. She's already aware she's exposing you to health problems from second-hand smoke (and also to the risk of burning the house down!), and when a parent treats his or her children that way, it's clear their parenting instinct has short-circuited.

Add my name to the "You need to get out" column.

IMPORTANT: If you do decide to get out, don't put yourself at risk of not being able to afford a place. Find a few friends you know and trust, who would be willing to roommate up with you. They will be your backup in case you can't afford your own place to live. Make sure you're not one of those people who have been getting foreclosed-on lately.

Her mom just needs some good ol' Dr Phil public humiliation.

Say "please"? :rolleyes:
I mean, how hard can it be not to smoke in one room of an apartment - unless one is being an inconsiderate ***** on purpose?

Put up with it? Consider it an implicit cost of having a place to stay etc.

Put up with it? Consider it an implicit cost of having a place to stay etc.

Cancer's an excellent price to pay for being sheltered by a parent which you never chose to have.

Bill3000 said:
The potential for Cancer's an excellent price to pay for being sheltered by a parent which you never chose to have and who probably didn't choose to have you and who nevertheless pays some of your costs.

See what I've done with that? It's a little give and take. You get a house, food, protection and a whole host of other things and in exchange your parent might smoke in your room on occasion.

See what I've done with that? It's a little give and take. You get a house, food, protection and a whole host of other things and in exchange your parent might smoke in your room on occasion.

Child abuse isn't a low enough cost, sorry. :)

Bill3000 said:
Child abuse isn't a low enough cost, sorry.

I must have been really abused when I was a kid, sitting with all those vile smokers at the table!

I must have been really abused when I was a kid, sitting with all those vile smokers at the table!

Yes, you were, and you should have been taken away.

Bill3000 said:
Yes, you were, and you should have been taken away.

Only if you go first Bill, being an American is a crime in a large part of the world, sins of the father and all that.

Okay, thanks everyone. I'm a loner. No friends to board with/help me move out. Strange but true.

Ironically, my mom supports my uncle's efforts to keep his neighbor from smoking. And they're not even in the same apartment. :sad:

She keeps saying she'll quit but she's said it about 10 times in the last 5 years and nothing changed.

Aimee, you're mom doesn't sound like she's more adult than you are. So don't treat her as if she is. If she acts like a child, treat her like a child.

Child abuse isn't a low enough cost, sorry. :)
Yes. Parents doing what they wish inside their own apartments and well within the law is now child abuse. According to Bill...

Yes. Parents doing what they wish inside their own apartments and well within the law is now child abuse. According to Bill...

I've already said that it shouldn't be legal to smoke in an enclosed place with one's children. :dunno:

The sanctimony is getter very thick in here. You have no idea what is actually going on, but you are coaching him to leave and find his own place to live. All because his mom occasionally smokes a ciagrette when she dares to come into his inner sanctum...

I am so happy I didn't have kids.

Top Bottom