How can I stop my mom from smoking in my room??

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
First off, having the smell of cigarette smoke all over my stuff makes it hard on me (I have mild asthma). Second, she keeps dropping them and burning holes in my stuff!!! :mad:

I tried putting up a No Smoking sign in my bedroom, and she tore it down, saying that because she pays the rent she can smoke where she wants to. (In reality, my mom's too lazy to work so welfare pays the rent -- I work to pay for my computer and stuff.)

I tried talking reasonably to her, but she said the same thing again, never mind she has the rest of the apartment to smoke in.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Call CPS maybe?

Hmmm, there's an idea... :mischief:

But then again, I'd really get in trouble.

:dunno: I don't think there's any real advice someone could get.
I'm tempted to suggest that you pee in her bed if she smokes in your room.

Nova Scotia has a law where you can't smoke if you've got kids in your car. Maybe email the Canadian Cancer Society and ask them for advice? And contacting Child Protective Services is a good idea too.

Look up some information, print it out and give it to her. Google searches for second hand smoke and children should work. Places like the NHS website and Cancer research charities are very reputable sources, although British.

Other than that you'll just have to start looking for cheap places to stay and friends with big cars who can help you move out.

Super-sensitive smoke detector that hurls profanities at her?

The more she smokes around you, the more likely you are to start smoking yourself. Maybe bring that up. Maybe mention what else it does to your health.

Get yourself an air purifier for your room, and keep the door closed. That'll at least help a little bit.

Why is she hanging out in your room so much?

Your mom is a passive aggressive [censored word rhyming with itch, starting with a B]. I promise if I'm ever in Truro, and you're moved out, I'll tell her as much for you.

However, you could move out before 18 if you were emancipated. It might be some work, there's probably a nonprofit law advice thing that could help you. You could probably prove neglect or gross indifference.

Smoking in your apartment isnt exactly a crime. :lol:
It will be one day.

However, you could move out before 18 if you were emancipated. It might be some work, there's probably a nonprofit law advice thing that could help you. You could probably prove neglect or gross indifference.
I'm not sure aimee exemplifies the kind of maturity necessary to become an emancipated minor...

I'm not sure aimee exemplifies the kind of maturity necessary to become an emancipated minor...

Probably not. Medical conditions would make it pretty friggin hard to convince a judge she could support herself. On the other hand, the judge could set her to live with a relative or some other arrangement.

It will be one day.
Probably so.

If I had a son and he posted a No Smoking sign in my apartment, I would have probably emancipated him right out the front door, which is now probably a felony in most states...

Top Bottom