How do you end 'cancel culture'?

You, of course, know that in the "old days," far worse would have potentially happened to that mother and her children - and the press would have been silent on the issue, and thus you'd never it know it even happened unless you personally knew the family or lived in their community. That's part of my point you're so determined to ignore and take irrational offense to.

Are you trying to say Black people don't get killed or sent to forced labor camps right now? Cuz I got news for you buddy.

What an improvement that is, right?

As I said before, relative thinking is far superior to absolutist thinking. And your constant absolutist thinking grows grating, and sabotages and discredits every post you make. Absolutist thinking, like you always engage in is pure poison - utter and complete psychological and sociological cancer. And, you share this style of thinking, the absolutist style, with all the far-right-wing leaders, ideologues, parties, militias, and movements you so venomous say nothing good about (and they deserve nothing good said about them - but their absolutist thinking they have in common with you is one of the reasons for that).

Absolutist thinking, like you always engage in is pure poison - utter and complete psychological and sociological cancer.

@cardgame holy crap

quick question tho @Patine do you think this sentence I've quoted reflects absolutist thinking?

Are you trying to say Black people don't get killed or sent to forced labor camps right now? Cuz I got news for you buddy.

Oh, they do definitely. But not at nearly the scale they used to, and it's not done so commonly, blatantly, and cavalierly as it once was. The fact that circumspection and roundabout deceit have to be used, and not the impunity and grander scope of the old days, definitely shows a lack of tolerance for such institutions by those who actually have power themselves. But I think I'm not talking to another absolutist thinker, like Cloud_Strife, and relative thinking also falls on deaf ears, here, too...

Oh, they do definitely. But not at nearly the scale they used to, and it's not done so commonly, blatantly, and cavalierly as it once was. The fact that circumspection and roundabout deceit have to be used, and not the impunity and grander scope of the old days, definitely shows a lack of tolerance for such institutions by those who actually have power themselves. But I think I'm not talking to another absolutist thinker, like Cloud_Strife, and relative thinking also falls on deaf ears, here, too...

The situation can be improved without being remotely good enough. There's millions of people still disenfranchised and sent to American forced labor camps. Quite frankly you have not earned the right to crow about improvement yet.

The situation can be improved without being remotely good enough. There's millions of people still disenfranchised and sent to American forced labor camps. Quite frankly you have not earned the right to crow about improvement yet.

How are you helping anyone in any sense of these matters. I'm a social worker for a living - but I can't work miracles. What contributions do you make other counter-productive and self-defeatist but scripted rhetoric on a gaming forum? And this is not a rhetorical question. I'm actually looking for an answer here.

How are you helping anyone in any sense of these matters. I'm a social worker for a living - but I can't work miracles. What contributions do you make other counter-productive and self-defeatist but scripted rhetoric on a gaming forum? And this is not a rhetorical question. I'm actually looking for an answer here.

This is just pathetic, dude.

Oh, they do definitely. But not at nearly the scale they used to, and it's not done so commonly, blatantly, and cavalierly as it once was.
Yet it still persist to this day. You don't just pull a George W. Bush and present "Mission Accomplished" banner when there are still social ills that are still present. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

...relative thinking also falls on deaf ears, here, too...
IB4 Patine starts spouting out "Facts don't care about your feelings!".

This is just pathetic, dude.

I see there's no point responding to your posts anymore.

Yet it still persist to this day. You don't just pull a George W. Bush and present "Mission Accomplished" banner when there are still social ills that are still present. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

IB4 Patine starts spouting out "Facts don't care about your feelings!".

I didn't say, "Mission Accomplished, let's call it a day." More words put in my mouth. But I guess the very same absolutist thinking I've been calling out as the toxic and caustic phenomenon it is would say either I agree with the "nothing is better now than the '30s, or might as well not be," exaggerated hyperbole, OR I declare this equally disingenuous "Mission Accomplished," crap. This is why I follow relative thinking, and NOT the ruinous path of absolutist thinking.

My Maoist reading group has spent weeks handing out literature on street corners in my hometown! WEEEEEEKSSSSSS

We all know how many people Mao killed or put into forced labour camps. It makes the death toll and forced labour force in the U.S. today that's in contention look pretty pitiful in raw numbers. You've made a HUGE wound to any integrity and credibility of your arguments in this particular area by revealing your ideological idol...

The obvious and straightforward answer is that cancel culture is, if not created, at the very least facilitated by market forces commodifying and fetishizing social interaction, identity, and notoriety, while also being incentivized to create frictionless, atomized spaces for individual producer-consumers. This creates the conditions for cancel culture: because of the hyper alienation of late stage capitalism, people have become so alienated that the whole of existence is essentially mediated through empty signifiers. The signifiers are empty inasmuch as they are completely decontextualized from any sort of a broader social relation, but because they are all that is left for alienated individuals, they become hyperreal, acting as shibboleths - simulacra or fetishes for what in earlier modes of existence would have constituted real substance within a community.

In other words, cancel culture is a natural consequence of our present mode, and it can only be "ended" by effecting a revolution beyond that mode. Proposing individual solutions to problems which are structural in nature are ultimately meaningless. We could say "everyone just needs to stop cancelling" or "we all just need to take each other in good faith" or something like that. But it's rather like saying "if everyone just stopped driving their car tomorrow then we'd have climate change licked." or "if everyone just stopped using plastic straws then we would no longer have a problem with floating plastic islands in the pacific ocean."

That being said, the grillpill is seriously the best answer if anybody is seeking individual guidance to dealing with cancel culture.

@cardgame holy crap

quick question tho @Patine do you think this sentence I've quoted reflects absolutist thinking?

He proves once again that you just can't work with self-proclaimed centrists/moderates.

He proves once again that you just can't work with self-proclaimed centrists/moderates.

I think thought was a mispost, no? I made very clear in a recent post to you, specifically, that my self-identification ideologically was NOT centrist/moderate. So, either this is a knowing and blatant lie and personal attack for ulterior motives, or you meant to refer to someone else - or a possible third option that speaks unflatteringly of your mental faculties. Which is it, there?

What is your ideology, anyway? I can only speak for myself but I don’t think I can point to a single view that you hold, @Patine.

The above question is written in total sincerity.

What is your ideology, anyway? I can only speak for myself but I don’t think I can point to a single view that you hold, @Patine.

The above question is written in total sincerity.

I have posted many strong views I hold with conviction throughout various posts across threads on these forums. I admit, I haven't posted the "Patine Manifesto," all in one place, and I don't quite have time this morning. I'll have to get back to you on that - not as a snub or dismissal, but due to RL schedules.

You are so wrong, you don't know your Civil War history. Do you know anything about the Civil War? Answer me, have you ever read a single book about it?

Let me point out, for example, that "John Brown's Body", which is an explicitly pro-abolition song, was a super common marching theme for the soldiers. What do you think "let us die to make them free" means? Dude you are way out of your depth.

Abolitionists fought to end slavery. The North did not.

Abolitionists fought to end slavery. The North did not.

The Executive Branch and Congressional Majority (at least Congressional Majority after the Secessions of 1860-1861) of the North were held by a political party created at a Convention in 1854 in Wisconsin that was a merger of effectively several previous parties, partial parties, bolters from standing parties, who had, as one as one of their biggest platform planks at that convention, and they ran for election openly on, was abolition of slavery (it's gobsmacking to see the United States' scheme today and think back at the completely unbelievable fact that that party was the Republican Party - things have really changed and flipped around bizarrely in the 150 years since then).

We all know how many people Mao killed or put into forced labour camps. It makes the death toll and forced labour force in the U.S. today that's in contention look pretty pitiful in raw numbers. You've made a HUGE wound to any integrity and credibility of your arguments in this particular area by revealing your ideological idol...

That was a joke.

The Executive Branch and Congressional Majority (at least Congressional Majority after the Secessions of 1860-1861) of the North were held by a political party created at a Convention in 1854 in Wisconsin that was a merger of effectively several previous parties, partial parties, bolters from standing parties, who had, as one as one of their biggest platform planks at that convention, and they ran for election openly on, was abolition of slavery (it's gobsmacking to see the United States' scheme today and think back at the completely unbelievable fact that that party was the Republican Party - things have really changed and flipped around bizarrely in the 150 years since then).

For anyone wondering, this is false. The Republican Party platform in 1854 did not call for the abolition of slavery, only affirmed the power of Congress under the Constitution to ban slavery from the territories. Lincoln upon being elected in 1860 said - truthfully - that he had no intention of interfering with slavery in the states where it already existed.

Top Bottom