How Long Does It Take To Die...

slozenger said:
i wonder what wiki would do?

WWWJ :mischief:

On topic, I actually took a survey of my friends on what method they would rather die of. Believe it or not, out of forty people, a majority said falling and dying on impact. It would certainly be a quicker death. Now some people think I must have had a bad childhood or something...

I read some military article (I think it may have even been on here) that said you can stay awake for about 3 days and stay in control of yourself. I don't think it's easy (or possible) to stay awake past 3 days but you will die if you do (like if you're being tortured and have someone keeping you awake).

A guy called Tomas Izquierdo claims to not have slept since 1945 as a result of encephalitis he suffered at 13 - don't know if his story is true though - might be an urban myth as well, as I didn't find really valid sources...

I owuld say it takes an instance to die. However you might suffer before that.

cody_the_genius said:
Sleeplessness... isn't that called total insomnia or whatever?
Well, imsomnia is the prolonged lack of sleep. So yeah, you could call it that.

Billy Rubin said:
Actually you could do it by crushing peoples larynx - the force needed to to that is also usually enough to compress the victims carotids strong enough to stop the brains blood circulation, so it usually takes abput 20 seconds for the person to pass out - with a crushed laryinx, the victim would then suffocate uncosciously.

To do it faster, you could still achieve a reflectory death by applying force to the carotid sinus nerve, which can result in reflectory death which would take less than ten seconds.

It's not suffocation, but you actually can strangle someone to death in less than ten seconds like in Hollywood movies.

what youre describing sounds closer to pinching somebodys head off than suffocating. you would have to be crazy strong, still im not sure if its doable on an adult..

i just pictured ripping some dudes head off, with yer hands :lol:

nonconformist said:
I'm not sure, but a bullet in the brain is far from being certain death.

depends on which part of the brain you hit, theres an aread in the back (forgot what its called) the size of a fist, a bullet through that area, and youll never know what hit you.

ps.you cant die of lack of sleep, as far as i know, of course you can die from exhaustion, as in if you dont rest, but you dont have to sleep. can someone dig up a good source?

anyways, i had a junkie friend who said he had been awake 27 days once (on meth), so i asked him if he went 27 days without any sleep at all, he said what happens is you sit in a chair, your eyes are wide open but your brains is off, you are awake in a sense but not really!

a meth chick told me its not fun untill youve been up 5 days, so i asked her why, she said cause thats when you start to see little green men running around and having all kinds of hallucinations..
she used to be up 10 days or so

Godwynn said:
by suffocation?
by dehydration?
by starvation?
by sleeplessness?

I'm wonderin' I'm having problems trying to sleep lately and I thought about this as I was cooking my ramen noodles.

EDIT: I meant starvation.

You can't predict exact times. All you can give are ranges.

Suffocation only takes about 5 minutes to kill, and even if you survive, you may be left with permanent brain damage.

Dehydration can take several hours to days. It depends on the degree.

Starvation can last for weeks, even months, before it kills. It depends on a person's body mass. The body will utilize muscle and fat as a food source until real food appears.

Sleeplessness doesn't kill. In fact, it's self-limiting. No matter the degree of insomnia, you eventually lose consciousness from exhaustion.

EDIT: Oh, and btw, I'm back!

Jawz II said:
depends on which part of the brain you hit, theres an aread in the back (forgot what its called) the size of a fist, a bullet through that area, and youll never know what hit you.
People have survived bullets in the head, and even that guy who had a metal cylinder shot through his head had minimal damage (apart from being completely apathetic about everything).

Ive seenxrays of pull knives in people's head, and there was a documentry on TV about 1 kid who had 1/3rd of his skull/brain blown off by a grenade and he still lives, and in fact can still look after himself, he's not just a vegetable.
Without drugs i think you can go for about 10 days with no sleep without any permament effects or death, and without food depends on your body mass, but david blaine went 40 days without food and he was of average build, so a large person could go a very long time.

nonconformist said:
People have survived bullets in the head, and even that guy who had a metal cylinder shot through his head had minimal damage (apart from being completely apathetic about everything).

Yeah, but that cylinder passed through his cerebrum (as would the bullets of most people who survive gunshots to the head.) Like the guy said, it depends on what part of the brain is hit.

Getting hit in the brain stem would mean instant death.

nonconformist said:

yes, i know that, people have been shot in the brain and not even have noticed, recently i read about a 53 year old guy in florida who was shot in the head when he was sleeping, he woke up later and went to work!

i dont have a link to the article in english, or i would post it.
also many people have had parts of their brains removed in surgery for various reasons, and some of them without major changes to their lives.

but thats not the brainstem (forgot the fancy lating word for it), when you get shot through there, what you get is instantaneous death.(theres another fancy word for that which i forgot, hydropneumatic shock? hydrofylactic shock? i dunno, its one kind of shock or another!)

when death accures usually theres alot of movement, twiching and reflexes and stuff from the body, where it kinda resfuses to realize its dead, none of that happens when you get shot through there, you go limp as a rag doll and youre dead before you hit the ground.

Jawz II said:
but thats not the brainstem (forgot the fancy lating word for it), when you get shot through there, what you get is instantaneous death.(theres another fancy word for that which i forgot, hydropneumatic shock? hydrofylactic shock? i dunno, its one kind of shock or another!)

when death accures usually theres alot of movement, twiching and reflexes and stuff from the body, where it kinda resfuses to realize its dead, none of that happens when you get shot through there, you go limp as a rag doll and youre dead before you hit the ground.
You mean the occipital reason, right?
I expect you're right, I was sayiung being shot through the head is far from being death, whether or not the brain is "dead"

Top Bottom