How to get a job (or not)

Tough choice for some down here now. :)
My son and a dozen of his long-term unemployed techno-hippy mates all just received a $750 one-off payment and their unemployment benefit was doubled.

Back to Work: A Q&A

What your boss can— and can’t—make you do

BY LAUREN WEBER

Get your underlying conditions documented by a physician and provided to your employer. While asthma, for example, is generally not a disability covered by ADA and EEOC measures, it's possible that could change or that you might be protected by state law. Also, heck, your employer might be able to offer adjustments to your work even if not required by law. Documenting now may well protect ya' neck.
In addition, be aware reasonable accommodations made to parties covered by the ADA have potentially changed significantly. If you're employer said they couldn't accommodate you working from home in the past, well, that might have changed.

Smart Moves Before Moving Far From the Office

BY CORDILIA JAMES

YOUR BOSS has given you the green light to work indefinitely from wherever you want.

Now what?

The lure of sudden freedom to try living someplace new, either temporarily or permanently, is real for a portion of the U.S. workforce. Facebook and Nationwide Mutual Insurance are among the companies allowing employees to maintain their remote work indefinitely or even permanently.

Lia Sueyoshi, a 24-year-old consultant, has lived in the same Brooklyn, N.Y., neighborhood her whole life. Living there comes with simple pleasures: She has family on her mother’s side nearby, and it’s nice knowing her favorite pizza joint is a short walk away. So when her father urged her to join him at his home in Lima, Peru, Ms. Sueyoshi didn’t know what to say. “For him, it was like, why not save so much money and work from home, because you don’t have any obligations to one location or one area? You can really do whatever you want,” Ms. Sueyoshi says. It’s a tempting offer that she’s still trying to figure out. A major life change requires extra consideration, even for those in their early professional years without mortgages or child care to worry about. But before you kiss your office goodbye for good, there are several factors to consider.

Consider your distance from the mothership

Thinking of getting as far away from the office as possible? You should make sure you understand how much face time is expected of you at the office now and down the road. Arthur Autz, a 33-year-old bio-medical engineer who works at Columbia University, was traveling solo in Antigua during spring break when the school announced that it was going online for the rest of the semester. With airports and hotels closing and beautiful views all around, he decided to stay. Mr. Autz rented a villa on the water for $900 a month rather than the usual $1,500 a week, he says. Anything he needed was a short walk away, whether it be fresh mahi-mahi or a nearby beach where he could scuba dive and paddle board when off the clock.

But a dream living situation that Mr. Autz expected to last for months was cut short when New York began to reopen earlier this month. His boss told him he had to get back to the lab. While some organizations might go entirely remote, it’d be wise not to go so far that you’d need hours to get back to the office in a pinch. Then there’s the question of time zones. You should ask yourself whether you’d be willing to work nontraditional hours if it meant staying in sync with your co-workers.

When PricewaterhouseCoopers consultant Tarika Gadh, 24, traded Manhattan for life at her parents’ home in Los Angeles in March, it meant spending the first two months starting every day at 6 a.m. It wasn’t until her company reassigned her to work on a West Coast project that she was able to go back to working at 8 a.m., as she had in New York. By then she didn’t want to. “At that point, my body was so used to waking up at 6 a.m. So I still start working at 6 or 7,” she says.

Remember your long-term professional goals

As with any major life decision, it’s important to ask yourself hard questions about what you value most in life, says Alison Bernstein, president of New York-based Suburban Jungle Group, which helps buyers leaving the city find new homes in the suburbs.

“Something that may have pushed you out short-term may have been better weather somewhere, or a house with a pool, since you’re looking into summer. But without really thinking overall about the community or where you’re really trying to raise your kids, that could be a mistake,” Ms. Bernstein says.

The service found that those who had more flexibility with their time often looked for places where they could eventually join other communities, like a church or a local sports league. Instead of booking a one-way ticket to do remote work in isolation while quarantined, it might make more sense to settle somewhere with a community that can satisfy your social needs once life approaches normal again, she says.

Your long-term professional needs are just as important, and it may be harder to network or climb the ladder when your colleagues are in Missouri and you’re in Montana. Even as some companies consider letting workers stay home, the benefits of establishing connections within an office remain, says Matthew Bidwell, associate professor of management at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business.

“Your career progression is about who you know, as well as what you know and what you can do,” Mr. Bidwell says. “I think the big concern working from home is it’s harder to build those connections.” You can compensate for this loss of connection if you’re proactive about how you plan to maintain office relationships beyond scheduled meetings.

Don’t forget taxes and personal finances

As soon as Darien Ford’s boss told him he could work from home indefinitely, the 30-year-old senior
consultant made plans to move out of his $1,800 studio apartment in Arlington, Va., and back into his mom’s house in Baltimore by summer’s end. “This is definitely a good opportunity for me to move back to Baltimore to save some money and also now think of where else do I want to live,” Mr. Ford says. He’s set his sights on Philadelphia, Charlotte and Atlanta.

But while moving in with your parents out of town might make it easier to save some cash, that doesn’t always mean you’ll be able to avoid some extra state taxes. Rules about taxing out-of-towners vary from state to state. Check what that means for you before you go. As always, you should make sure you understand your employer’s compensation policies before you decide to move away. You might think moving somewhere with a lower cost of living could save you some money, but if the employer decides to adjust compensation according to one’s location, as Facebook announced in late May, that might not always be the case.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE...

■ Make sure you fully understand your employer’s work-from-home policy so you can figure out how far is too far to move away.

■ Think about how time zone differences might help or harm your daily routines, and if your employer has a plan to help you navigate them.

■ Consider the costs of moving, services and furniture you’ll need to work in a new location, and whether they’re worth the price.

■ Do your research. Make sure you understand a country’s travel restrictions and visa requirements before committing to going there for a longer stretch.

■ Ask yourself: Would I have access to high-speed internet, and if not, how much would it cost? The internet can be iffy in some rural locations.

■ Consider how quickly you might move up in your job compared with the person who builds connections in the office, and how important that is to you.

Turning a Bad Fit Into a Career Stepping-Stone

How to maximize the potential of a less-than-perfect first job— and make the pivot to the next role easier:

■ Identify the source of your frustration.

There can be value in using a first job to identify your own skills and talents, says Allison McLean, career services manager at online coding school Springboard, as well as what you like and don’t like in a work environment. If a job feels like a bad fit, it’s worth taking a moment to determine why that is before plotting your exit. “

■ Focus on gaining skills.

Most jobs provide learning opportunities, even if they aren’t the ones a recent grad might be expecting. “I encourage them to see every job as: ‘What can I learn here?’ ” says Beth Hendler-Grunt, president of Next Great Step.
It is important to be able to demonstrate to your next employer what you learned in a first job, she says, especially skills such as excellent writing and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.

■ Network, internally and externally.

Consistent networking is essential, both for succeeding in your first job and finding your next one. Ms. Hendler-Grunt says she asks clients who tell her they aren’t happy in their first job, “Who’s sitting around you? Ask someone for lunch or coffee. See if they need help. Think of it as, ‘How can I learn something and make use of this time while I’m here?’ ”

■ Don’t immediately assume a job isn’t the right one. It can take a few months to adjust, says Ms. McLean, so patience is key to determining whether a job is wrong for you.

“You’re not going to love every single thing, but you want an overall satisfaction level,” she says. “As long as it’s not a toxic environment, it’s worth staying for nine to 12 months. It’s really easy to not like the first couple of weeks, or first month, but give yourself some time to assess the situation.”

Besides, it's always better not to have a lot of really short term jobs on your resume. It makes possible employers think maybe it wasn't the jobs that were the problem, maybe it's you.

Current or former hiring managers -

Do you value LinkedIn at all? I've gotten pretty fed up with it as my feed is constantly bombarded with racist virtue signaling posts. I am constantly unfollowing people to block their content but it I'm just over it as a platform and would have ditched it except that I use it in job searches. I don't expect to be out of work anytime soon though, so I am unsure that I really need it. I have had success reaching out to or being reached by companies and recruiters via the platform in my last job search, though I will note that not a single one of the leads that came through LinkedIn turned into anything tangible - just a few interviews that went nowhere. Oh wait, I take that back, I did end up getting one job offer through a LinkedIn lead but that offer was uniquely terrible.

Do you value LinkedIn at all? I've gotten pretty fed up with it as my feed is constantly bombarded with racist virtue signaling posts. I am constantly unfollowing people to block their content but it I'm just over it as a platform and would have ditched it except that I use it in job searches. I don't expect to be out of work anytime soon though, so I am unsure that I really need it. I have had success reaching out to or being reached by companies and recruiters via the platform in my last job search, though I will note that not a single one of the leads that came through LinkedIn turned into anything tangible - just a few interviews that went nowhere. Oh wait, I take that back, I did end up getting one job offer through a LinkedIn lead but that offer was uniquely terrible.
I don't think much of LinkedIn but do have a profile I mostly ignore. I think that having a solid profile that others can see is smart, but I would not rely on it or spend a lot of time posting stuff unless you are big into trying sell your expertise to people you don't know. I think what you want is a place where a hiring person can form a positive opinion about you and won't find any negatives. I suggest that you polish up your profile and keep it current and then basically ignore it and all the messages unless they are from people you actually know.

I do not post anything on LinkedIn whatsoever. My presence is restricted to my work experience page and that's it.

Perfect; now learn to ignore all the message prompts to open it. ;)

I'm not a hiring manager, but I review applications and help make hiring decisions. We get a lot of applications through LinkedIn, more than any other job board. We have had a handful of people who applied through LinkedIn get through most of the interview process and we hired one of them recently. We also look at people's LinkedIn profiles, in addition to their resumes, personal sites, etc. to assess their application. So we still use it a lot and get plenty of mileage out of it.

Overall to me, it seems about the same as other job boards. Except it has its obnoxious, stupid newsfeed, which I avoid like the plague.

Last edited:
Didn't really use it but then, I'm old.
I had a short entry for myself, but mainly just used it to announce my retirement. ;)

Amazon is hiring 33,000 new employees with an average pay of $150,000

New York (CNN Business)Amazon announced it will hold a Career Day on September 16 that is open to everyone seeking a job.

Amazon's (AMZN) Career Day will include a team of 1,000 Amazon recruiters offering 20,000 career coaching sessions, according to the tech giant's press release. The sessions are free of charge.
Amazon currently has 33,000 job openings for corporate and tech roles and says it will share "thousands of additional hourly roles in Amazon's Operations network" soon. All of the new employees for these roles will be paid at least minimum wage at $15 per hour with up to 20 weeks of parental leave.

The employees who fill the corporate and tech roles will receive an average pay of $150,000, including salary, stock-based compensation and benefits, an Amazon spokesperson told CNN Business. "With many people left unemployed by the economic impact of Covid-19 and searching for new jobs, Career Day is designed to support all job seekers, regardless of their level of experience, professional field, or background -- or whether they are looking for a job at Amazon or another company," Amazon said in its press release.

Amazon conducted a survey and found that 53% of Americans have been forced to look for a new job because of Covid-19. In August, Amazon said it planned to hire 3,500 additional workers in cities across the US, a move that commits the tech giant to a significant expansion of office space at a time when other tech companies are embracing telecommuting indefinitely. Amazon also announced it is opening a new grocery store filled with smart devices.
Additionally, the tech company is reportedly in talks with Simon Property Group (SPG), the largest mall owner in the US, to convert former or current JCPenney (JCP) and Sears (SHLDQ) stores into distribution hubs to deliver packages.
Amazon's stock is up 77% over the last year. The company typically announces hundreds of thousands of new positions for the holidays, but it's unclear if a hiring spree will happen again this year. Amazon has already hired more than 175,000 people to staff up during the coronavirus pandemic to help meet surging demand for delivery.

UPS (UPS) is also focusing on hiring during the pandemic.
"We plan to hire over 100,000 people for UPS's seasonal jobs, and anticipate a large number will move into permanent roles after the holidays," the company said in a Wednesday press release.

Amazon is hiring 33,000 new employees with an average pay of $150,000

New York (CNN Business)Amazon announced it will hold a Career Day on September 16 that is open to everyone seeking a job.

Amazon's (AMZN) Career Day will include a team of 1,000 Amazon recruiters offering 20,000 career coaching sessions, according to the tech giant's press release. The sessions are free of charge.
Amazon currently has 33,000 job openings for corporate and tech roles and says it will share "thousands of additional hourly roles in Amazon's Operations network" soon. All of the new employees for these roles will be paid at least minimum wage at $15 per hour with up to 20 weeks of parental leave.

The employees who fill the corporate and tech roles will receive an average pay of $150,000, including salary, stock-based compensation and benefits, an Amazon spokesperson told CNN Business. "With many people left unemployed by the economic impact of Covid-19 and searching for new jobs, Career Day is designed to support all job seekers, regardless of their level of experience, professional field, or background -- or whether they are looking for a job at Amazon or another company," Amazon said in its press release.

Amazon conducted a survey and found that 53% of Americans have been forced to look for a new job because of Covid-19. In August, Amazon said it planned to hire 3,500 additional workers in cities across the US, a move that commits the tech giant to a significant expansion of office space at a time when other tech companies are embracing telecommuting indefinitely. Amazon also announced it is opening a new grocery store filled with smart devices.
Additionally, the tech company is reportedly in talks with Simon Property Group (SPG), the largest mall owner in the US, to convert former or current JCPenney (JCP) and Sears (SHLDQ) stores into distribution hubs to deliver packages.
Amazon's stock is up 77% over the last year. The company typically announces hundreds of thousands of new positions for the holidays, but it's unclear if a hiring spree will happen again this year. Amazon has already hired more than 175,000 people to staff up during the coronavirus pandemic to help meet surging demand for delivery.

UPS (UPS) is also focusing on hiring during the pandemic.
"We plan to hire over 100,000 people for UPS's seasonal jobs, and anticipate a large number will move into permanent roles after the holidays," the company said in a Wednesday press release.

PR stunt, I refuse to buy anything from Amazon. Well can't be 100% pure as some thing's can only be got from Amazon.

Haven't used them for years and I try to minimize what I buy off them.

Last edited:
I'd rather they spent that money on paying their existing employees.

Well on the 16th we will see what happens.

PR stunt, I refuse to buy anything from Amazon. Well can't be 100% pure as some thing's can only be got from Amazon.

Haven't used them for years and I try to minimize what I buy off them.
Yeah the headline is deceptive because much of that $150k is in the form of stock. Try paying rent with that - and especially if you can't physically handle warehouse work and get bounced before you vest. They may also be factoring in the value of health and life insurance and other benefits as they refer to that 150k as the 'total compensation package' in some of their press releases, which tends to be code for 'we're giving it a number so it looks like a salary but it's not'.

I'd also be interested in seeing what the split is between high paid information workers and low paid warehouse workers is - I suspect there is quite a spread between their median and average salaries but can't prove it without that.

Yeah the headline is deceptive because much of that $150k is in the form of stock. Try paying rent with that - and especially if you can't physically handle warehouse work and get bounced before you vest. They may also be factoring in the value of health and life insurance and other benefits as they refer to that 150k as the 'total compensation package' in some of their press releases, which tends to be code for 'we're giving it a number so it looks like a salary but it's not'.

I'd also be interested in seeing what the split is between high paid information workers and low paid warehouse workers is - I suspect there is quite a spread between their median and average salaries but can't prove it without that.

I've done some warehousing, didn't mind it to much here.

Good forklift drivers can make some good money.

Amazon's vesting is a 4 year program 5-15-40-40% so they want you to stick around and not job hop. Amazon stock is currently at about $3150 per share. I'm sure salary grades vary as will stock plans. In any case the pay off comes if you stay around and get vested. And certainly if you do not like the company, you should not work there.

I'm less concerned with the developers growing a conscience and having an existential crisis about their jobs than I am about the manual laborers who are physically unable to reach vesting points due to Amazon's poor safety and quality-of-life considerations in their warehouses. But regardless of how many people get bounced before vesting, Amazon can still claim they were high compensated in these press releases and look like angles. In my opinion, companies that tout 'total compensation' are playing the same kinds of games that Tesla does when they advertise a $35k car - it's only that cheap if you factor in gas savings, maintenance savings, tax breaks you may not get, and a bunch of other stuff.

I mean right now a job is a job and Amazon isn't the worst when it comes to straight pay. I'm just pushing back against the narrative that all of a sudden they're flooding the job market with upper-middle-class incomes when the reality is most of the workers will likely be poorly payed and much of the compensation touted won't ever reach workers pockets or is a willful conflation of health and insurance benefits with salary.

Top Bottom