I hate Anime and Japanese cartoon culture in general

That's a bit unfair don't you think? Besides, if you're talking visual detail, they're all at least pretty comparable to pretty much any feature-length, for-cinemas Western animated film.
Anime people don't look like white people. Anime people even look like Asian people!

If you're saying that Japanese for-TV animation is equivalent in detail to Western for-cinemas animation, then I think you just proved my point.

The medium (I suppose) "proves" nothing. Your words: If what you've shown is the best of the best, I don't hold it against them that they were never released in cinemas. A lot of Western animation is just at least comparable detail-wise.

Actually, they were released in cinemas. Furthermore, the last few pictures I showed were from a movie which won an Oscar.

Care to show me the examples of comparable Western animation? For I admit that my grasp on cartoons is tenuous, and all I can think of right now are Family Guy, The Simpsons, Kim Possible and Spongebob Squarepants.

Is it just me, or do most people in Anime look like white people?

Well, characters stereotypically have big eyes, pale skin, and oftentimes non-black hair... :mischief: (Although in reality there is some variation, of course, with some anime preferring to be more "realistic" with smaller eyes and believable faces, and series have eyes the size of CDs).

Although concerning the American vs. Japanese animation, one thing is that animation has a bigger market in Japan, I think, at least for certain types of stories; few if any produers in America, for instance, would probably think of having CSI or Jersey Shore in animated format, while I feel in Japan that is more likely. That is not to say that Japan doesn't have a decent live action film and tv industry, but its just that animation is a more viable option in Japan than in America, in my opinion.

Of course, then again, America has stuff like Disney and Pixar.

Actually, they were released in cinemas. Furthermore, the last few pictures I showed were from a movie which won an Oscar.

Care to show me the examples of comparable Western animation? For I admit that my grasp on cartoons is tenuous, and all I can think of right now are Family Guy, The Simpsons, Kim Possible and Spongebob Squarepants.

Anything from the Disney Renaissance.

Anything from the Disney Renaissance.

Which was, unfortunately, decades ago.

But now that you mention it, I think Pixar holds up pretty well (although I don't like Cars, never was a mechanically-minded sort of person). If you wanted to compare Japanese animated TV series to Western animated TV series though, I think that detail-wise the Japanese still are better. Story-wise though, certain Western shows do have it in them like Futurama.

Get your flippin' point straight, christ.

Care to:

1. Explain
2. Tone it down?

And yes, those examples you showed me were movies, and good examples at that. But I'm now asking for examples of Western animated series.

Which was, unfortunately, decades ago.

But now that you mention it, I think Pixar holds up pretty well (although I don't like Cars, never was a mechanically-minded sort of person). If you wanted to compare Japanese animated TV series to Western animated TV series though, I think that detail-wise the Japanese still are better. Story-wise though, certain Western shows do have it in them like Futurama.

You sir, have won all my respects! :goodjob:

Guys I just spent the last two hours watching anime and it was AWESOME. Down with haters. With a bare handful of exceptions I enjoy watching it more than American TV.

Care to show me the examples of comparable Western animation?

Almost anything put out by Disney, Don Bluth, or Dreamworks...

I dont hate anime and Japanese cartoon culture in general more than I hate american cartoon culture. Neither of them can claim to be less misoygnistic.

Japan has a lot of good stuff to offer, just as Holywood. They also both produce a lot of crap. Like the smurfs or teenage ninja junkfood turtles. The smurfs comicbooks are excelent though.

The smurfs comicbooks are excelent though.
And of course they would be Belgian. Not that it has been mentioned, but there's this kind of stuff coming out of Europe as well.:)

I don't watch animation, so maybe I'm out to lunch here, but I don't think you can judge the quality of animation by still images. It's not difficult to draw a really detailed background and then have a minimal amount of movement/animation over it, is it?

A quality animator.

Spoiler :

^Note the use of spoilers to avoid breaking the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince_of_Egypt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_to_El_Dorado
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinbad:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Seas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_vs._Aliens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megamind

Those all have human or nearly human protagonists. Similarly, a thorough comb-through of Pixar's work shows that they, too, have an affinity for animal protagonists: A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, the aforementioned rat and monster movies, etc.

(And Buzz wasn't a space marine, he was a space ranger. Huge difference)

Why did this thread become an issue of misogyny ? Don't you realize that sex has nothing to do with misogyny and that hetero female culture is almost always about the looks for finding a sexual mate? Why can't animation be looked at for how good it is without these irrelevant white knight arguments popping up on a 99% male forum? No one cares that Japanese media is like that, especially not the thousands of screaming anime fangirls I encounter. I love the outfits they put on for conventions, too. God bless Japan.

Top Bottom