I hate Anime and Japanese cartoon culture in general

Not exactly the same but South Korea banned anime and manga until 1998.

Wow. That's interesting. Though I can understand why.

The funny thing is that most of the Koreans I know like anime and manga a lot. Or, well, at least they don't mind it and watch/read it on a relatively healthy level.

Now, replying to cybrxkhan: My family has pretty much every reason to hate the Japanese, as my grandparents lived under Japanese occupation in Shanghai during the war. My maternal grandfather still hates the Japanese; not too sure about my other grandparents, but they probably sympathize with him at the very least. I think my parents like Japanese culture, but my mom doesn't really like for her own parents to know about that.

That's interesting. Most of my friends and acquaintances who like anime - or at least enjoy it now and then - are Asian (i.e. Chinese or Korean), so many of them are also well-aware of the nasty stuff Japan did during World War II. Many of their grandparents seem to also still hold a huge grudge against Japan for it, yet because of the distant relationship many of them have with the kids, they probably don't really know much about anime. My grandmother, all she knows about anime is that it's just some weird stuff from Japan, but otherwise she doesn't really care.

As for my other grandparents, they didn't seem to care. Actually my grandpa joked about Japanese girls now and then when my cousin and I were watching anime when we were younger. I guess they're not as pissed off at the Japanese because they actually lived in Japan for a few years (when my dad and my uncles and aunts were pre-teens or younger). It seems it rubbed off on everybody on my dad's side, since we're all into anime or manga or Japanese culture in some way or another. I'm probably the exception since I don't care about it unless if I come across a really good story, which I actually have, of course.

Wow. That's interesting. Though I can understand why.

The funny thing is that most of the Koreans I know like anime and manga a lot. Or, well, at least they don't mind it and watch/read it on a relatively healthy level.

That's interesting. Most of my friends and acquaintances who like anime - or at least enjoy it now and then - are Asian (i.e. Chinese or Korean), so many of them are also well-aware of the nasty stuff Japan did during World War II. Many of their grandparents seem to also still hold a huge grudge against Japan for it, yet because of the distant relationship many of them have with the kids, they probably don't really know much about anime. My grandmother, all she knows about anime is that it's just some weird stuff from Japan, but otherwise she doesn't really care.

As for my other grandparents, they didn't seem to care. Actually my grandpa joked about Japanese girls now and then when my cousin and I were watching anime when we were younger. I guess they're not as pissed off at the Japanese because they actually lived in Japan for a few years (when my dad and my uncles and aunts were pre-teens or younger). It seems it rubbed off on everybody on my dad's side, since we're all into anime or manga or Japanese culture in some way or another. I'm probably the exception since I don't care about it unless if I come across a really good story, which I actually have, of course.

I agree with what a lot about what you are saying.. I have a lot of interest in Asia due to learning Chinese and Vietnamese, but still watch some anime due to their being some incredible works of art being produced in that category. But as you said, there is some over hype of Japanese media, and mistaking Japan for the whole of Asia really does a lot to hard some of the great work being produced elsewhere (especially Taiwan and Korea).

I would too, cause that makes you sound like a dumbass (only I'd ignore you rather than get into an argument). Why not say "Japanese animation" if you have some strange problem with using the shorter and easier term anime? Japanimation sounds like something an idiotic journalist came up with, and your insistence on saying it may well be taken to be intended to annoy.

Were you born rude or did you cultivate it?

Most animes do suck.

Then again, I could say the same about pretty much anything.

Fiction, nonfiction, food, electronic components... ninety percent of everything is crap.

Were you born rude or did you cultivate it?

Hey, I'm just telling you my honest thoughts about the incident you mentioned. I'm sorry if that hurt your sensitive feelings. Maybe you prefer that people don't tell you how might have come across to others?

Moderator Action: Stop the needlessly personal comments.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

because calling them japs ain't exactly cricket, wicket. kind of like calling a hispanic a spic i think. i dunno i might just be ignorant.

How to tell a Jap...

Well, you might be ignorant of the fact that being PC by pointing out stuff like that would be considered unfashionable and unwelcome in some quarters :p

I think that on some kind of level I feel kind of threatened by Japan, because they have such a long and cool history and also have a rather well functioning society. So I have a bit of schadenfreude every time I hear something bad about their culture(xenophobia, misogyny and so on). But that's just shameful irrationality from my side. I wonder if other people suffer from the same.

But ever since Baldur's gate, Western RPGs has been far superior to eastern RPGs.

Anime is awesome. 4kids, however, is one of the few corporations I can honestly say that I absolutely LOATH. They make me want to simultaneously explode and bang my head against a wall while screaming my lungs off.

In any case, it's too bad that some of you can't appreciate Anime. While I can't claim to be some massive Otaku, I can say that I've enjoyed a lot of good and entertaining Anime, both in serie format and movie format.

This is misleading as South Korea banned all Japanese entertainment media.

Well, Anime and Manga are Japanese entertainment media, are they not? Anyways, I edited my post to make it less misleading.

aelf said:
Well, you might be ignorant of the fact that being PC by pointing out stuff like that would be considered unfashionable and unwelcome in some quarters

Says the faux-Han Hakka. :rolleyes:

Singaporean? Goes without saying no? :p

Most Singaporeans are Hokkien, as far as I know. As the ancient allies of Liu Bang, I think the Hokkien have more claim to being Han.

On topic, no Liu Bang, but a Japanese take on Xiang Yu:

I hate how Japanese cartoon culture makes everything look too awesome.

I'm sorry but some of the best animation in the world happens to be Japanese.

Warning, large images coming your way:

Spoiler :

Then again, by only showing the best of the best (and best of Japanese animated movies as opposed to animated series) I'm probably not representing what often passes off for animation on the ground.

Still, I've always admired the fact that Japanese animation is marked by the amount of detail it has compared to its Western equivalent.

Is it just me, or do most people in Anime look like white people?

Top Bottom