[RD] I'm transitioning. If you've ever been confused about the T in LGBT, ask me anything

what are you thoughts on truscum and transtrenders?
specifically I want to know what truscum actually believe, I've heard accounts ranging from: "anyone who doesn't want to medically transition into a binary gender is not trans" to "anyone who experiences some degree of gender dysphoria is a transperson" (which some people still find problematic because it excludes NB who aren't dysphoric and generally people who are euphoric instead)

Truscum tend to come in several varieties, but I would generally codify it simply as "anyone who believes that there is one singular way to be Trans, and anyone outside of it is wrong". It often includes essentialist beliefs into the nature of gender, and is usually binary.

"Transtrenders" is essentially a reactionary talking point about how trans people are "faking" it for...the clout...? I guess...? you know, nothing so good as high suicide rate, constant persecution, open despisal in culture, a belief that your life can be intruded upon, etc etc.

are there people who are both NB and trans? (I suppose being NB at some point in your life is the norm for most transpeople, but do they still feel NB after transition?)

I conceive of the term "trans" as an umbrella term that includes NB people, as well. Hence why I'm answering questions on a thread that is, strictly speaking, only about the letter "T" in LGBT. [Not, of course, that I would expect that I would be barred from answering questions - the trans people on OT are quite lovely!] Others may perceive trans and NB to be two separate things - I suppose that's their prerogative - but trans, as a non-umbrella term works really if you assume that there's a gender binary stretching from one pole to another, through which you transition. Which, as I've gone at length to mention, isn't what I believe is the case.

is gender dysphoria a necessity for being a transperson, is gender euphoria enough, or is neither needed, in your opinion?

Certainly not. Dysphoria isn't a necessity, and I was in a blindside for a while, as I thought that I'm not trans because I never experienced as much dysphoria as my fellow trans siblings. I would even go as far as to assert that gender euphoria isn't a requirement, though it is a rather clear sign. A desire for a change in one's gender is all that is necessary.

does a transperson by definition want to transition, medical or otherwise?

Yes, I feel like you do want to transition, though you should be at liberty to choose which path of transition you wish to take, and not be mandatorily forced into an all-or-nothing deal.

is the dysphoria or the desire to transition rooted in genetics/biology to some degree?

I've seen some science on it, but I must admit that a lot of the time, it provides ammo for bad-faith actors to shout about the brain folds being "feminine" or "masculine", and to assert that one is inherently male or female. If we're arguing trans liberation, the source should be sought out in society/environment that we live in, and the way dysphoria is(n't) treated is an issue with it, not with our minds or bodies.
or
one thing I have recently been thinking about it this: If there really was no biological basis for gender dysphoria or wanting to transition, and if we acknowledge that NB (who do not want to medically transition) can also be transpeople, then that could have implications for whether dysphoria is seen as an actual """"illness"""" and is in the DSM (and the WHOs equivalent), and in turn whether transpeople can get medication from their insurance. if a sizeable portion of transpeople do not want to transition, people could make the conclusion that making free medication for transpeople obligatory is not needed anymore. (I realize that already today not all transpeople have this priviledge of insurance).

Personally, I don't want to see "dysphoria" as an illness. It isn't, and it is only due to the fact that our environment is profoundly hostile to us. Or, well.. Dysphoria is merely a symptom of a larger pattern at large. Transitioning, therefore, is the cure. The success rates in tamping down dysphoria via transition are enormous, something to the tune of 95-99%. It would be incredibly cruel to deny such a treatment, and I must admit that the amount of people who don't want to transition are rather small.

I generally don't have a hard time at all with understanding people that have NB gender identities because for me this was always kind of the baseline, I've more or less always thought about gender as more or less fluid, more or less performed, more or less cultural, even as a very young person, but I have trouble understanding the intersections of trans and NB identity. cheers and thanks in advance.

There's a lot of it, and it can be incredibly complex, even for me...though there are some stereotypes about NB people, that they're a lithe, androgynous (but usually leaning femme) and white person. It's frustrating because my end-goal as far as medical transition goes, isn't too different from that of a transwoman, sans what is in my pants, which is, for the most part, none of your business; socially, on the other hand, I don't want to be perceived as a woman, nor a man. I would like to be gender neutral, if possible, though I suppose that may be difficult.

In the news today

The CEO Who Transitioned
More transgender people are coming out at work—Wynne Nowland did it as the boss

BY VANESSA FUHRMANS

One May morning in 2017, just weeks after her 56th birthday, Bradley & Parker Chief Executive Wynne Nowland hit ‘send’ on an email to the insurance broker’s workforce. It was no routine memo.

“I am writing to tell you about a matter that is essentially personal but will result in some changes at work,” she began. After a lifetime living as a man named Wayne but hiding her true self, she wrote, “I will be transitioning my gender.” She emphasized that she intended to keep leading the firm she had helped build over 30 years, then added: “In fact, I may be less distracted when I no longer have two personas to juggle!” Two hours later, she was met with hugs—and some wide eyes—from some of Bradley & Parker’s 70 employees as she arrived at its Long Island headquarters in a woman’s pantsuit, pearls and full makeup.

Across America, an estimated 1.4 million U.S. adults are transgender— double the number a decade before, according to a University of California, Los Angeles, analysis of government data—and more are coming out on the job. Far fewer have done it while leading a company. Not only has Ms. Nowland had to find support for her transformation in the workplace; she’s had to guide her employees, her board and a number of Bradley & Parker’s thousands of corporate clients through it.

Karen Weber, the firm’s vice president of operations, said the move made her respect Ms. Nowland even more, but she worried at first how some top salespeople and clients would react. “Insurance is a really conservative business,” she said.
Jonathan Carroll is vice president of business development and a member of Bradley & Parker’s executive team who had formed a close friendship with Ms. Nowland over the years. He said his immediate reaction to her news was discomfort. He struggled at first to use her female pronouns. “I had never met a transgender person before or known someone going through that transition,” he said, adding that he quickly got over it. “How sad would it be for someone to have to live in hiding of who they are.” Mr. Carroll came to Ms. Nowland’s defense at a networking event a few months later when another man began cracking jokes about her. “I finally had to grab the guy by the shoulders and said, ‘Dude, you’re talking about my boss. Please stop. You’re making me uncomfortable,’ ” he said.

Among some of the female staff, a big question was which bathroom Ms. Nowland would use. A few women approached Ms. Weber worried that because Ms. Nowland was tall, she could see over the stalls. “It was more a nervous question, not an HR inquiry,” Ms. Weber said. She informed them that Wynne would use the restroom that matched her gender identity: the ladies’. “I’m not saying they were jumping for joy at first, but no one said anything again,” Ms. Weber said.

Ms. Nowland’s experience reflects both the complexities of being transgender at work and the solitary nature of being a leader managing a business through any major change. While the Supreme Court ruled in June that workplace discrimination of transgender people is prohibited under federal civil-rights law, and New York already provided legal protections, the onus remained on Ms. Nowland, as CEO, to get her company and customers behind her. “It’s great to be a leader, but if the troops refuse to be led, you know you can’t,” she said from her office, which is adorned with a photo of her before her transition, with her father, and a plaque, given to her by a staff member, engraved with the words “BOSS LADY.”

That’s required diplomacy, humor and preparation for those who might not welcome this news. Before a pitch meeting planned with a potential client early this year, a representative from the other side asked that Ms. Nowland not attend. Ms. Nowland agreed so her team might have a better shot at clinching the deal. (The meeting never materialized once the pandemic struck.) Ms. Nowland is aware her position, and affluence, have made her transition much easier than for many transgender people.

Raised in a conservative Irish-Catholic family and educated at an all-boy high school, Ms. Nowland remembers feeling inner conflict while growing up. But she said she learned early on to wall off her confusion and discomfort, an ability she said helped her achieve career success. At 25, she joined Bradley & Parker and soon after scored her first major coup, winning the national Dunkin’ Donuts franchise account. Channeling the energy behind her private turmoil into work helped. “I worked ridiculous hours,” she said.

But as the years passed and one, then another, marriage fell apart, the dissonance between her inner self and public persona chafed more. Growing public attention on transgender people— particularly the 2015 transition of Caitlyn Jenner—prodded her to consider a different way. “It went from, ‘I’m just fated to be this way,’ to, ‘Well, wait, this could happen,’ and then, ‘It should happen,’ ” she said. By then, it was 2016 and Ms. Nowland, then COO, was slated to take over as CEO the next January. As she began to quietly carry out her transformation—applying to change her birth certificate and arranging to have a couple of surgeries— she was settling into the new role. Her big concern was what it would mean for the firm.

“I didn’t want something that was going to be gratifying to me to be at the expense of the company and the people that work there,” she said. She told the board and a few other executives
about a week before making it official. Ms. Nowland also wanted to make sure, in particular, a few big clients she personally dealt with were on board. One was Charles Gamarekian, founder and CEO of New Jerseybased paving stone and outdoor-wall manufacturer Cambridge Pavers. The day after Ms. Nowland sent the email to her staff, she emailed him about her transition, too. Seven minutes later, her computer pinged with his reply: “I applaud you and our business and personal relationship can only grow stronger.” The next day a bottle of Dom Pérignon arrived at her office from him.

Wynne Nowland at her office in August, and on the day in 2017 she announced her transition, below.

“Two things came to mind: what a struggle she must have had for so long, and what it must have been to write this email,” Mr. Gamarekian said, adding that over the years he had come to value Ms. Nowland’s advice, including her encouraging him to expand during the last recession. “I just wanted her surrounded with joy and happiness.” The company said it isn’t aware that it’s lost any clients because of Ms. Nowland’s transition. Since 2017, Bradley & Parker’s revenues have climbed 20%. Since her transition, colleagues describe Ms. Nowland as more at ease. Toni Glagau, whom Ms. Nowland promoted three years ago when she was 25, considered her a mentor before the transition, but found it easier to confide in her about being such a young manager afterward.

“When she transitioned, I saw she’s going through something where she’s different, too,” Ms. Glagau said. “It made it easier to see how she could relate.” ‘It’s great to be a leader, but if the troops refuse to be led, you know you can’t,’ Ms. Nowland said.

Oof.

Just to prempt the inevitable JK Rowling questions; she couldn't even make her bigotry original, she had to copy silence of the lamb's, not to mention her pen name is the founder of conversion therapy which is just...

She doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt; she's a bigot and she knows what she is doing.

Emzee hasn't posted for a while, hope she's ok. One of my favorite boozers on CFC along with Adam my Slavic booze buddy.

Just to prempt the inevitable JK Rowling questions; she couldn't even make her bigotry original, she had to copy silence of the lamb's, not to mention her pen name is the founder of conversion therapy which is just...

There's seven Robert Galbraiths on Wikipedia, which indicates that it's a fairly common name. When you already have ample reasons to criticise her, I don't see a need to ascribe further malice without proof.

There's seven Robert Galbraiths on Wikipedia, which indicates that it's a fairly common name. When you already have ample reasons to criticise her, I don't see a need to ascribe further malice without proof.

What exactly are you trying to say here?

Her views are out in the open; the stereotypical transphobic faux-concern for women about a unsubstantiated threat from the archetypal "man in a dress", the insistence that transmen and trans masculine AFAB are actually just women in denial, the erasure of non binary identities and the insidious claim that trans rights violate women and their rights.

Imagine if instead of bring transphobic she was racist instead and she decided to name her male pen name after some proponent of scientific racism; would it still be a stretch to link both of those together and why does she deserve the benefit of the doubt when she's shown herself to be utterly obsessed with attacking what she sees as a "trans ideology"?

Some people seem to forget that the arguments used against transpeople were also used to attack and demonize Lesbians and gay men; that they couldn't be trusted to be in the same changing room or toilet of their respective genders. Homophobia and transphobia are closely interlinked to the point where it is difficult to seperate them.

In addition to Cloud's point, she has openly stated she was taking note of the "trans issue" (or however she phrased it) before throwing her support behind a known UK transphobe (Forstater). By itself, sure, the name itself isn't necessarily cause for alarm. But in combination with a known history of anti-trans comments, and an increasingly openly transphobic set of beliefs, makes it more of an obvious link. Certainly more than a bunch of the other historical figures.

In addition to Cloud's point, she has openly stated she was taking note of the "trans issue" (or however she phrased it) before throwing her support behind a known UK transphobe (Forstater). By itself, sure, the name itself isn't necessarily cause for alarm. But in combination with a known history of anti-trans comments, and an increasingly openly transphobic set of beliefs, makes it more of an obvious link. Certainly more than a bunch of the other historical figures.

It's gotten to the point where you'd actively have to look away and ignore her rhetoric, tweets and literature to assume she's not malicious in her beliefs or actions it trans and non binary people

A pen name is not chosen lightly, one could certainly expect that she googled it before adopting it.

Well, yes, that's exactly what I did and despite knowing what I was looking for, it took me two tries to notice that there was a psychiatrist on the list of people with that name. That's all I was saying.

Well, yes, that's exactly what I did and despite knowing what I was looking for, it took me two tries to notice that there was a psychiatrist on the list of people with that name. That's all I was saying.

The whole 'lycanthropy as HIV and werewolves actively wanting to spread it to children' and 'Dumbledore was gay but we can't ever mention it in-story' thing combined with her pen name is quite suspect

It's not a great look and she already supports the LGB alliance who are essentially the thin end of a wedge that is being used to attack the lgbt community and their rights

It puts her use of her male pen name into question.

Please hold your inquiries to the topic of/about trans people. While this thread can discuss transphobes, there isn't much of a point to center them in the thread specifically about asking trans people about their experiences. Lord knows that this happens enough outside of this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Please hold your inquiries to the topic of/about trans people. While this thread can discuss transphobes, there isn't much of a point to center them in the thread specifically about asking trans people about their experiences. Lord knows that this happens enough outside of this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

I have my feelings about JK Rowling, but they've already been well expressed. I want to comment on a more general idea than Rowling herself: JAQing off. Just Asking Questions, if your ear is not tuned to dog whistles, is something you can easily miss. Compared to the cumulative knowledge and experiences of humanity throughout history, everyone is ignorant about almost everything. So if someone asks a question that you can't answer, then you also don't know enough to assess if the question is leading or loaded. That is what I've seen from Rowling. Any one question she asks will seem reasonable, if you don't have a lot of additional context. JAQing off is a way to hide your motivations from the reader.

Top Bottom