1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] I'm transitioning. If you've ever been confused about the T in LGBT, ask me anything

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Mar 18, 2016.

1. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Truscum tend to come in several varieties, but I would generally codify it simply as "anyone who believes that there is one singular way to be Trans, and anyone outside of it is wrong". It often includes essentialist beliefs into the nature of gender, and is usually binary.

"Transtrenders" is essentially a reactionary talking point about how trans people are "faking" it for...the clout...? I guess...? you know, nothing so good as high suicide rate, constant persecution, open despisal in culture, a belief that your life can be intruded upon, etc etc.

I conceive of the term "trans" as an umbrella term that includes NB people, as well. Hence why I'm answering questions on a thread that is, strictly speaking, only about the letter "T" in LGBT. [Not, of course, that I would expect that I would be barred from answering questions - the trans people on OT are quite lovely!] Others may perceive trans and NB to be two separate things - I suppose that's their prerogative - but trans, as a non-umbrella term works really if you assume that there's a gender binary stretching from one pole to another, through which you transition. Which, as I've gone at length to mention, isn't what I believe is the case.

Certainly not. Dysphoria isn't a necessity, and I was in a blindside for a while, as I thought that I'm not trans because I never experienced as much dysphoria as my fellow trans siblings. I would even go as far as to assert that gender euphoria isn't a requirement, though it is a rather clear sign. A desire for a change in one's gender is all that is necessary.

Yes, I feel like you do want to transition, though you should be at liberty to choose which path of transition you wish to take, and not be mandatorily forced into an all-or-nothing deal.

I've seen some science on it, but I must admit that a lot of the time, it provides ammo for bad-faith actors to shout about the brain folds being "feminine" or "masculine", and to assert that one is inherently male or female. If we're arguing trans liberation, the source should be sought out in society/environment that we live in, and the way dysphoria is(n't) treated is an issue with it, not with our minds or bodies.
    or
    Personally, I don't want to see "dysphoria" as an illness. It isn't, and it is only due to the fact that our environment is profoundly hostile to us. Or, well.. Dysphoria is merely a symptom of a larger pattern at large. Transitioning, therefore, is the cure. The success rates in tamping down dysphoria via transition are enormous, something to the tune of 95-99%. It would be incredibly cruel to deny such a treatment, and I must admit that the amount of people who don't want to transition are rather small.

There's a lot of it, and it can be incredibly complex, even for me...though there are some stereotypes about NB people, that they're a lithe, androgynous (but usually leaning femme) and white person. It's frustrating because my end-goal as far as medical transition goes, isn't too different from that of a transwoman, sans what is in my pants, which is, for the most part, none of your business; socially, on the other hand, I don't want to be perceived as a woman, nor a man. I would like to be gender neutral, if possible, though I suppose that may be difficult.

JohannaK, emzie, cardgame and 5 others like this.
  2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Yes, depending on your definition of trans - I know some NBs who subscribe to HRT. It's definitely a complicated topic and this is the only part I feel qualified to answer at this time.

Cloud_Strife and yung.carl.jung like this.
  3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

In the news today

The CEO Who Transitioned
    More transgender people are coming out at work—Wynne Nowland did it as the boss

BY VANESSA FUHRMANS

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  4. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

You can absolutely be trans and non-binary.

5. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

How have you been doing? I have not seen you for a very long time. I hope everything in your life is going well.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  6. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Hey, I'm okay thanks for asking! Just scraping stuff together to get out of this country asap

MaryKB likes this.
  7. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Oof.

8. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Just to prempt the inevitable JK Rowling questions; she couldn't even make her bigotry original, she had to copy silence of the lamb's, not to mention her pen name is the founder of conversion therapy which is just...

She doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt; she's a bigot and she knows what she is doing.

gay_Aleks, hobbsyoyo, Lexicus and 4 others like this.
  9. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Emzee hasn't posted for a while, hope she's ok. One of my favorite boozers on CFC along with Adam my Slavic booze buddy.

emzie likes this.
  10. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

There's seven Robert Galbraiths on Wikipedia, which indicates that it's a fairly common name. When you already have ample reasons to criticise her, I don't see a need to ascribe further malice without proof.

11. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

What exactly are you trying to say here?

Her views are out in the open; the stereotypical transphobic faux-concern for women about a unsubstantiated threat from the archetypal "man in a dress", the insistence that transmen and trans masculine AFAB are actually just women in denial, the erasure of non binary identities and the insidious claim that trans rights violate women and their rights.

Imagine if instead of bring transphobic she was racist instead and she decided to name her male pen name after some proponent of scientific racism; would it still be a stretch to link both of those together and why does she deserve the benefit of the doubt when she's shown herself to be utterly obsessed with attacking what she sees as a "trans ideology"?

Some people seem to forget that the arguments used against transpeople were also used to attack and demonize Lesbians and gay men; that they couldn't be trusted to be in the same changing room or toilet of their respective genders. Homophobia and transphobia are closely interlinked to the point where it is difficult to seperate them.

gay_Aleks, hobbsyoyo, Lexicus and 5 others like this.
  12. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

In addition to Cloud's point, she has openly stated she was taking note of the "trans issue" (or however she phrased it) before throwing her support behind a known UK transphobe (Forstater). By itself, sure, the name itself isn't necessarily cause for alarm. But in combination with a known history of anti-trans comments, and an increasingly openly transphobic set of beliefs, makes it more of an obvious link. Certainly more than a bunch of the other historical figures.

13. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

A pen name is not chosen lightly, one could certainly expect that she googled it before adopting it.

edit: if this goes too much longer it might be best to split it to a new thread

14. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

It's gotten to the point where you'd actively have to look away and ignore her rhetoric, tweets and literature to assume she's not malicious in her beliefs or actions it trans and non binary people

hobbsyoyo and Gorbles like this.
  15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Well, yes, that's exactly what I did and despite knowing what I was looking for, it took me two tries to notice that there was a psychiatrist on the list of people with that name. That's all I was saying.

16. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

The whole 'lycanthropy as HIV and werewolves actively wanting to spread it to children' and 'Dumbledore was gay but we can't ever mention it in-story' thing combined with her pen name is quite suspect

It's not a great look and she already supports the LGB alliance who are essentially the thin end of a wedge that is being used to attack the lgbt community and their rights

It puts her use of her male pen name into question.

17. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Please hold your inquiries to the topic of/about trans people. While this thread can discuss transphobes, there isn't much of a point to center them in the thread specifically about asking trans people about their experiences. Lord knows that this happens enough outside of this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Angst, emzie, Arwon and 5 others like this.
  18. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I have my feelings about JK Rowling, but they've already been well expressed. I want to comment on a more general idea than Rowling herself: JAQing off. Just Asking Questions, if your ear is not tuned to dog whistles, is something you can easily miss. Compared to the cumulative knowledge and experiences of humanity throughout history, everyone is ignorant about almost everything. So if someone asks a question that you can't answer, then you also don't know enough to assess if the question is leading or loaded. That is what I've seen from Rowling. Any one question she asks will seem reasonable, if you don't have a lot of additional context. JAQing off is a way to hide your motivations from the reader.

hobbsyoyo, Lexicus, Angst and 3 others like this.
  19. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Anyone who claims to have reasonable concerns about transpeople and their rights but then uses the "cisman in a dress" argument instantly raises red flags for me

Gorbles, schlaufuchs and MaryKB like this.
  20. HEF

HEF Warlord

JAQing off...?

That's an interesting term. :coffee: