In the 21st Century...

DYNAMICS

Chief Engineer
...what significant events would predict in this century?

i predict Space flight to Mars by 2056 A.D.

I predict that any predictions about the future are bound to be pretty damn pointless when beyond the very recent future, especially concerning technology.

How did I know? Because if you were to predict what kind of technology there is in the future and how it would work, well, you'd need to know about how it would work--which means you have the technology here today!

Most people, when thinking of the future, tend to overestimate social change and underestimate technological progress.

Ironing boards that don't make that horrible screeching sound when you open them.

I predict that any predictions about the future are bound to be pretty damn pointless when beyond the very recent future, especially concerning technology.

Not necessarily. A lot of stuff we take for granted now was once only in sci-fi, so you could get a vague idea of what's might happen.

I'm going to say... autopilot for cars.

I predict that I won't die....

I'm going to say... autopilot for cars.

On the contrary. Cars are going to become much, much less common. We're going to see a resurgence of trains and streetcars, and a beautiful collapse of sleeper-suburbs.

Global climate change (not talking Ice age or anything, just a major change).
EU completes integration.
A base is created on the moon, and people are sent to Mars.
The Mayans disappoint with their calendar making skills.
At least one nuke will detonate (probably an accident or by suitcase).
Perfection changes his avatar for the 100th time, still using a variation of his fortress.
A country other than the US dominates the world.
Aliens are confirmed real.
People laugh about how we used to make such primitive engines that ran on oil.
Cloning is common, both creatures and food.
Robots do our dirty work.

On the contrary. Cars are going to become much, much less common. We're going to see a resurgence of trains and streetcars, and a beautiful collapse of sleeper-suburbs.

Maybe towards the end. I just don't see them going away completely. I think it's much more likely that they'll figure out how to make a car run on something else than cars will disappear.

2041 Fifty and I finally convince President Downtown to take over the world in the name of #fiftychat.
Sounds good to me.

I predict that Lucy is going to buy me a beer.

I predict Lucy will buy me a beer *first*!

I think there could be some significant nuts and bolts changes to American Democracy (how we vote, how we draw up districts, etc), including a possible constitutional amendment.

Our cars will be more badass.

Moderator Action: Watch that you don't turn this into a spam thread.

Maybe towards the end. I just don't see them going away completely. I think it's much more likely that they'll figure out how to make a car run on something else than cars will disappear.

Someone's uncle might preserve a red Barchetta in a barn somewhere outside the city.

Top Bottom