In What Electronic Entertainment Have You Been Partaking #18: Reticulating Splines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skywind could literally make me hot buttered toast in the morning and it still wouldn't be a patch on Morrowind. If it's even half as good as it looks like it might, though, it will probably be worth playing.
I'm so looking forward to seeing the integration of Radiant AI with Morrowind. You can see Dunmer pilgrims on expeditions to shrines, Bouyant Armigers patrolling Molag Amur, and Ashlanders launching raids on trade caravans, and so on.

So, it seems that I can't make it out of the tutorial for Elite: Dangerous on the Xbox. The hostile drone is way too manoeuvrable for me to even be facing most of the time, let alone actually shoot it down...

So, since we're on the topic of Morrowind, has anybody played OpenMorrowind?

Would you recommend it?

Absolutely. It's not compatible with the Code Patch or MWSE, but it is overall a much more stable version of Morrowind.

Thanks for the OpenMW tip. I *might* jump in again. Been 15 years since I've made a playthrough - three biggest hurdles to overcome were the NPC models which really look horrible, the draw distance which give the feeling of being choked by mist, and the boring fighting system. Mods can take care of the first, and OpenMW has an awesome "distant terrain" features. Guess I just have to endure the fighting system.

I'm on Disco Elysium at the moment. It's... VERY weird, in a "pretty awesome" way. That's definitely putting the "RP" back in "RPG" in any case, and it's funny enough to not get overwhelmed by the despair seeping from everywhere in the setting.

Skywind could literally make me hot buttered toast in the morning and it still wouldn't be a patch on Morrowind. If it's even half as good as it looks like it might, though, it will probably be worth playing.

the most unpopular of opinions: morrowind combat was better than skyrim combat. now that we have multiplayer MW we can finally see the greatness of.. Morrowind duels :D

Thanks for the OpenMW tip. I *might* jump in again. Been 15 years since I've made a playthrough - three biggest hurdles to overcome were the NPC models which really look horrible, the draw distance which give the feeling of being choked by mist, and the boring fighting system. Mods can take care of the first, and OpenMW has an awesome "distant terrain" features. Guess I just have to endure the fighting system.

I'm on Disco Elysium at the moment. It's... VERY weird, in a "pretty awesome" way. That's definitely putting the "RP" back in "RPG" in any case, and it's funny enough to not get overwhelmed by the despair seeping from everywhere in the setting.

I actually really liked the low draw distance for some reason. anyway, if you ever feel like it you can grab a friend and play through the MW storyline together. multiplayer is now supported by openmw.

or do Morroblivion if you have the MW combat, I thought that was fantastic.

the most unpopular of opinions: morrowind combat was better than skyrim combat. now that we have multiplayer MW we can finally see the greatness of.. Morrowind duels :D
I'm an absolute fan of Morrowind, but even then (and even back then when it was released), no I'll never say that the gameplay was "good".
I actually really liked the low draw distance for some reason. anyway, if you ever feel like it you can grab a friend and play through the MW storyline together. multiplayer is now supported by openmw.
I don't like multiplayer, especially not in sandbox games where it's all about creating your story, and I don't think MW storyline functions well for multiple people ^^
or do Morroblivion if you have the MW combat, I thought that was fantastic.
Is Morroblivion actually finished ? I may have to have a look.
Skywind is an impressive technological accomplishment, but a lot of what made Morrowind better than the later entries simply can't be replicated, because it's precisly been (stupidly) removed from the mechanics (stats, multi-parts armor, fully free magical creation) and I'm not sure it can be put back in the game. Skyrim is, weirdly enough, the most restrictive and the most dumbed down in the entire serie.

Morroblivion was finished like 5 years ago. It's stable and works perfectly, certainly better than Oblivion did when it came out :D

Morroblivion was finished like 5 years ago. It's stable and works perfectly, certainly better than Oblivion did when it came out :D
Wow, holy cow, I guess I'm really behind the times here.

Don't know if I should thank you about that or not. I've a small but growing desire to replay Morrowind, though I'm on the fence between playing an "updated" version that will lose some of the specificities of Morrowind, or playing the original with the baggage it has (mainly appearance and clunkiness).

simadeus ][ was not to my liking.
simadeus III however has become a successful self-made business dude and built his own factory.

Spoiler factory duh :

Simadeus Tiberium Refining, Inc.

Screenshot-44.jpg

Company headquarters

Screenshot-43.jpg

Warehouse area

Screenshot-39.jpg

Employee office
(note: I am the sole employee)

Screenshot-45.jpg

Staff break room

Screenshot-40.jpg

The Most Respectable and Tasteful Office of Our Founder and CEO simadeus

Screenshot-42.jpg

Research lab and processing area

I like making things that are real, mundane, and real mundane.

Wow, holy cow, I guess I'm really behind the times here.

Don't know if I should thank you about that or not. I've a small but growing desire to replay Morrowind, though I'm on the fence between playing an "updated" version that will lose some of the specificities of Morrowind, or playing the original with the baggage it has (mainly appearance and clunkiness).

I should really dig up my old savefile and make a video for you, so you can see morroblivion in all its glory. sadly all the morroblivion stuff is on my old PC, which is now my girlfriends PC. I'll do a hard drive switcheroo the next few days so maybe I can get my savefile back onto this machine :)

Dug out an old GBA for some retro gaming.

Then loaded up Phantasy Star III for retro gaming on my retro GBA.

IMG_20201127_091122.jpg

One of them didn't need charged. Hasn't been plugged in for over a decade.

Last edited:
Started an EU4 game as the Ottoman Turks on Thursday. Been having fun with it, expanding primarily to the east. I have some alliances in Europe, but with a goal of simply keeping the balance of power, as well as providing a deterrent to any powers in the Middle East who consider forming a coalition against me. So far it is working well. It's 1507 and I've taken Mesopotamia and the Levant, and am in the process of invading Egypt. The Mamluks really hate me, with -174 Aggressive Expansion modifying their opinion, but with Poland, Lithuania, Muscovy, Milan, Florence, and Georgia as allies, no one has dared form a coalition. Serbia and Wallachia also provide useful support here and there as vassals.

But the surprise event of the day is the Burgundy being inherited by Hungary. It seemed very unlikely; for the whole game Burgundy's only ally outside of their vassal horde was the Pope, but they'd done well due to coordinating the timing of their French wars with England. Then they annexed Nevers, allied Hungary and had a royal marriage, had their heir die, and a few months later Charles the Bold died. Enter a personal union with Hungary. A few years later, my Polish friends declare war on Hungary, and we dominate them and their Moldavian and Bohemian friends while disloyal Burgundy sites back and relaxes at home. But before the war can be resolved, Hungary somehow inherits Burgundy, despite not having a change of ruler, and despite having quite literally no army or non-occupied provinces to speak of.

In the mean time, I'd moved my troops east and invaded the Mamluks; the Poles and Hungarian-Burgundians are now in a phony war as neither has military access across the HRE to reach Hungarian France. It's a weird situation.

Spoiler Political Map :

I'm hoping Poland shows Hungary who's boss during the peace treaty, as this is definitely not my first choice for a neighbor, although I suppose if their territories remain separate forever, it wouldn't be too bad. It'll be interesting to see if any territories break away over time. I'd been planning to support Burgundy in gaining independence from Hungary and make them an ally, likely cancelling one of the Italian allies at the same time. Now I'm considering helping a French revival, although more likely I'll stick with my planned expansion to the east and not get too tied up in Europe. So far my eastern expansion is actually ahead of historical schedule, which is usually difficult due to the speed of the real Ottoman conquest of the Mamluks.

So far my eastern expansion is actually ahead of historical schedule, which is usually difficult due to the speed of the real Ottoman conquest of the Mamluks.
Let us remember that the Ottomans had plenty of help from the French, so maybe changing that variable could change the outcome of this as well. ;)

You need an ally in the Western Mediterranean.

If you haven't played it, Stellaris is what I have been playing lately! Great Game!

I need to resume my Stellaris game from September. I'm admittedly partial to the historical grand strategy games, but I was having a good time as the Commonwealth of Man.

Let us remember that the Ottomans had plenty of help from the French, so maybe changing that variable could change the outcome of this as well. ;)

You need an ally in the Western Mediterranean.

But do I really? Will I really benefit from it more than it costs me in inconvenient wars?

England might have been perfect if they hadn't rivalled me. After Poland made peace with Hungary (releasing Brabant and taking most of Moldavia for themselves, along with a couple Hungarian provinces), England declared war on Hungary, something they had never done against Burgundy. But England was ready, with the second-largest army in the world. I had to double check - sure enough, England has a larger army than I do, being surpassed only by Ming. With Hungary already worn down, England will likely be the dominant power in France in five years' time.

I think having both Poland (and partner Lithuania) and Muscovy have been the most important, as no one has dared challenge me even when my manpower was depleted after successive wars with Hungary, the Great Horde, Qara Koyunlu, and the Mamluks. Florence has also been helpful, providing knowledge sharing that boosted my tech pace. But part of what has been so great is that for the first 60 years, no ally dragged me into a war, unless you count Georgia calling after I'd warned the Horde and the Horde attacked them anyway. So pretty much, when I needed a few years for war exhaustion to fall or manpower to recover, it was Pax Ottomanica.

I really ought to start playing EUIV again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom