Indonesian man jailed for public skepticism

Like most Americans I don't know much about countries outside the US (because we don't have maps), but IIRC Indonesia requires all citizens to belong to one of the five official religions, and this religion is indicated on their ID cards. Belonging to other religions, including being atheist, is not allowed. Ah, here we go (I was right):

See, all they would have to do is play Civilization4 and they would know that Judaism and Taoism are religions too.
;)
Apparantly, they don't get Civ4 in Indonesia.

Taoism falls under Confucianism. And outside of foreigners and some naturalised Indonesians, there isn't a Jewish community in Indonesia.

It has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the Jakarta Charter and the signal failure of Islamists to get anything out of Sukarno and Hatta in 1945.

What do you mean by that? At first sight the language seems a bit... pro-islamic.

I'm guessing that it was vague enough that only the "obligation for the professors of the Islamic faith to abide by the Islamic laws" actually applied, allowing the actions if islamists actions to be controlled, instead of letting them be in control and they would have wanted?

Eh, it's a small price to pay for domestic tranquility.

This is where I often see a marked difference in 'Western' and 'Eastern' attitudes. I remember someone here decrying the concept of national education as brainwashing, while I (not the most authoritarian person around here, if I may say so myself) think it's a tiny price to pay for racial harmony or whatever.

I guess freedumb is more important than anything.

It's a grab-bag term for Chinese stuff.

Funny, everyone I knew used 'Buddhism' as a catchall term for Chinese religious practices.

Until I saw it here, I didn't know Confucianism made it into the A-list.

Top Bottom