• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Interesting Facts!

antonio said:
Costa Rica is the only natoin with no standing army
Didn't Haiti dissolve its army a while back?

Edit: Yes, it did, though it may have been reformed recently.

blindside said:
I thought almost all if not all states do it by mile marker unless its a toll highway. Not sure however.

At least a few states are apparently converting to milemarker from the old system currently (judging by recent drives from New Hampshire to Arkansas and to Florida). But right now for the states I've seen, over half (toll or not) are still using the old system.

RoddyVR said:
and i thought the oposite. when i finaly encountered it i thought that that "by the mile" system is wierd. you get exit 10 and then exit 12 and then 17, makes no sense.

I like the mile-marker exit system; you can easily gauge how many miles away your exit is. There's a stretch in Vermont (and I'm sure many more out west) where there is fifteen miles between exits after having an exit every mile or so north or south of it. Besides, when adding new exits in the old numbering system you either have to add a B or renumber all the exits past that one, but in the milemarker system you can add an exit every mile if you want.

antonio said:
Switzerland is the only landlocked natoin to have a navy

Yep, and Basel (my city) is its only harbour/port (and it is thus also the home port of all the ships, otherways they wouldn't be Swiss... :)), although it is on the Rhine and very far into the land... :)

antonio said:
In Switzerland its ilegal to have a motorbike over 80 hp

I need to look this up, but afaik, the bikes over 80 hp are just called with another way to distuingish them.

Another fact:

River pollution declarification is done by each country on its own and by colours. The Rhine is the most polluted river/stream of Switzerland, by far, and is thus deep red! However, as soon as it has passed the border to Germany in Basel, it is depicted on German maps in a light green, as it is one of the least polluted rivers of Germany (atleast before the Ruhrpott...).

mfG mitsho

oh, that's just not right. :evil:

you sure they dont just have a big filter to get rid of pulution at the border? :lol:

wow. that is impresive. wish i could go 80 on my bike.

All of humankind today are decended from just 7 women.

RoddyVR said:
oh, that's just not right. :evil:

you sure they dont just have a big filter to get rid of pulution at the border? :lol:

And then we clean the filters and 'store'/get rid of them in the Alsace (France)? er no..., but our big chemical companies (Novartis and Roche) or respectively their predecessors actually just did that (bring all the waste to the near France... :D).

m

Truronian said:
All of humankind today are decended from just 7 women.
i'm curious. is this some sort of religeous thing, and if so, then why 7? which religeon is 7? most i know of its 1 woman ("Eve" i think is her name)

if this is some convoluted scientific calculation based on genetics, i'd love to hear an explanation, but i would bet that its false.

mitsho said:
Yep, and Basel (my city) is its only harbour/port (and it is thus also the home port of all the ships, otherways they wouldn't be Swiss... :)), although it is on the Rhine and very far into the land... :)

No way, the lake of Geneva has 2 Patrol boats, so this means Basel is less significant now. :crazyeye:

Another interesting fact:

Bush had an IQ of 80 some years ago. (I heard this one from a friend, I dunno if its true)

RoddyVR said:
i'm curious. is this some sort of religeous thing, and if so, then why 7? which religeon is 7? most i know of its 1 woman ("Eve" i think is her name)

if this is some convoluted scientific calculation based on genetics, i'd love to hear an explanation, but i would bet that its false.

Its a theory that due to a genetic bottleneck (ie a load of humans got wiped out- think extinction of the dinosaurs scenarios), all humans alive today are ancestors of only seven women who remained alive/fertile after the incident. It is only a theory, but there is supporting evidence and major support from the scientific community.

GeneralZed said:
No way, the lake of Geneva has 2 Patrol boats, so this means Basel is less significant now. :crazyeye:

Another interesting fact:

Bush had an IQ of 80 some years ago. (I heard this one from a friend, I dunno if its true)

Well, some nights ago, I could by chance watch the police boats on the rhine. (Someone seemed to have jumped from a bridge) and they actually brought 4 police boats and a fireboat to search for him. What for does the Basler police need 4 boats? That's just money thrown really out of the window... :D

mfg m

Those are police boats, but not Military :p

However, you know our beloved politicians: abit money here, abit there, but nothing for something useful.

after looking over this thread (a mere glance or two) this thread is living up to its name.

this thread is pure Twattockery.

Lefty Scaevola likes to take part in American Civil War reenactments, but does not fight for the North or the South Instead he loots those people pretending to be dead of their undergarments.-FACT!

The Dalai Lama has been known to shoot at birds

Not sure of the accuracy of this one, but I figure I'll find out how accurate it is soon:

All federal highways in the U.S. has to have atleast a 3 mile stretch every 10 miles for emergency landing of a plane, or for the launching/landing of planes during war time.

Strider said:
All federal highways in the U.S. has to have atleast a 3 mile stretch every 10 miles for emergency landing of a plane, or for the launching/landing of planes during war time.

Thats not true, I saw it on snopes some time ago.

Top Bottom