Iran, the Red Sea, and the West (tm).

Nobody's claiming the systems aren't different. Speaking of rhetorical tricks :) Similarities existing doesn't mean things are the same, and when the things that are similar are bad, it is consistent to criticise both, instead of making excuses for one and not the other.
In order for this point to make sense, you need to skip over the later exchange where I acknowledge a likely assassination by a government defense contractor of a whistle-blower. Now, you may have just missed it(like I often do) but let me to explicitly point it out.

To aim the post back towards what it addressed, once we get to comparing quantities of arrests(we should) we need to determine if the unit compared is standardized(it's not).

Last edited:
I don't see what the likely assassination has to do with it, your point was about the systems being different, about the right to trial. When that wasn't even a point in contention.

You (and others) are getting hung up on the quantity, like this can be qualitatively measured and there can be a Winner. (besides, it's not exactly a game where winner or loser comes out looking good). That's not the point. The point is the similarities, presented to those who pretend there aren't any. To those who don't believe that, why they're trying to get themselves mixed up in this, I can only pretend to guess.

the assassination , if there is one , is not by the expected company .

Same difference if you watch the people not the discrete legal organizations.

them boys from Langley said no more after the second of something , they will keep to it . It is not Boeing , they might have buried the Whistleblowers in mud , but short off a casket into the ground . You know , coincidences become harder to ignore when they keep repeating themselves .

Public defenders aren't all bad.
Do you really think my post was about slagging off public defenders? I mean do you understand anything about the legal system at all if you don’t understand how putting together a case and supporting it in court is a costly and time consuming process demanding the allocation of significant resources? Yeah I mean sometimes you might get Jimmy McGill and he’ll get you out of a pickle for free. Those people are indeed like heroes in this world of ours. But they’re up against it, really.

You act as if being arrested in different systems isn't different? That's the little rhetorical trick, eh? Adversarial trials aren't the heavens the gospels promise, but lol, there's a reason they're a fundamental right... or not.
I mean China has (in theory) adversarial trials. Just like the United States has (in theory) adversarial trials.

We were addressing the campus protests. Now that I'm willing to focus in on them, are we going to skew into something else?
Well, alright then.

Do you believe the response by the American government and police agencies to the protests was morally correct? If you do believe it was morally correct, did you object when China took similar actions against protestors in Hong Kong and on what groups?

I think the media is really trying to gin it up to more than what it is. They're tired of covering those we left behind(losers, right?), so they'll definitely cover the shining stars of tomorrow as they hold off on the favorite food deliveries and camp on the quad a la a Habitat for Humanity fund drive.

I think the media is really trying to gin it up to more than what it is. They're tired of covering those we left behind(losers, right?), so they'll definitely cover the shining stars of tomorrow as they hold off on the favorite food deliveries and camp on the quad a la a Habitat for Humanity fund drive.
The media has not been overly sympathetic to the protestors. They're "Occupy Wall Street loonies" at best and "antisemites" at worst.

Can't think anyone more left behind in the world than the people of Palestine tbh.

Sympathetic? I wouldn't argue that the media has been sympathetic, no. But the treatment most of them will receive is going to be largely gentle.

Nothing says gentle like professor Steve Tamari being beaten by police to the extent he required hospitalisation. Nothing says gentle like arresting people in Freedom Country for exercising their Freedoms.

Pretty sure I saw some commentary that suggested arrests were in fact a legal violation of the norm. Don't know US law well enough to comment, but "gentle" is very much not what it seems to be. "could be worse" ain't "gentle".

It's less likely that we're looking at different events. It is more likely that we've led different enough lives to describe the same events, in totality, through our differing expectations.

But I'm making an argument of the totality. I'm happy if specific bad actors are found accountable. Retribution isn't much, but it's a crux the system relies on, everywhere. Once we get over just being agog that we live in a society, like everyone else, but not just like everyone else.

I'm not making a super complicated point.

I think you can answer that one.

Helicopter with Iranian president makes ‘hard landing,’ state media says​

President Ebrahim Raisi was traveling back from Azerbaijan. Rescuers are struggling to reach the area due to foggy conditions and mountainous terrain.

A helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi suffered a “hard landing” Sunday, according to state-run media, which said Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian and other officials were also on board. Their condition is not yet known.

One Iranian state news channel called on viewers to pray for “the health of the president and his crew to come out of this accident in full health.”

An anchor with Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting reported that “unverifiable news has been received that the presidential helicopter has been involved in kind of an accident.” The helicopter was traveling in Iran’s East Azerbaijan province as the president returned from a visit to Azerbaijan. Rescue teams were struggling to access the area due to the mountainous terrain and poor visibility, according to reports. Video broadcast on state television showed rescue teams in vehicles and on foot approaching the site through dense fog. Tasnim initially reported that “a number of people with the president have managed to make telephone calls and this has raised hope that this accident may not have any casualties,” in the immediate aftermath of the incident, but provided no further details.

Helicopter with Iranian president makes ‘hard landing,’ state media says​

President Ebrahim Raisi was traveling back from Azerbaijan. Rescuers are struggling to reach the area due to foggy conditions and mountainous terrain.

A helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi suffered a “hard landing” Sunday, according to state-run media, which said Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian and other officials were also on board. Their condition is not yet known.

One Iranian state news channel called on viewers to pray for “the health of the president and his crew to come out of this accident in full health.”

An anchor with Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting reported that “unverifiable news has been received that the presidential helicopter has been involved in kind of an accident.” The helicopter was traveling in Iran’s East Azerbaijan province as the president returned from a visit to Azerbaijan. Rescue teams were struggling to access the area due to the mountainous terrain and poor visibility, according to reports. Video broadcast on state television showed rescue teams in vehicles and on foot approaching the site through dense fog. Tasnim initially reported that “a number of people with the president have managed to make telephone calls and this has raised hope that this accident may not have any casualties,” in the immediate aftermath of the incident, but provided no further details.

The weather looks awful

And it sounds so remote.

Rescue workers travelling to site by foot
An Iranian state television reporter says that as it gets darker and colder, the crews approaching the site are avoiding travel by car, due to the roads in the area not being paved, and rain making the ground muddy.

Last photo of helicopter shared by Iranian media
Spoiler A picture of a helicopter :

Spoiler Map :

Spoiler Random pictures from google earth of the area :

Last edited:
A hard landing but not at their appointed destination apparently? So it was also an emergency landing. If controlled flight into terrain that’s very likely to destroy the aircraft. That means one of two things if the president lived and the frame really did “land” albeit hard:

1. Loss of engine power or another difficulty forcing an emergency landing, and the pilot either did not manage it correctly or could not find a suitable landing spot.

2. Accidental sudden loss of altitude due to entering vortex ring state and “plopping” onto the ground. Probably pilot error.

However fog and mountain significantly raises chances of CFT.

Looks pretty bad, apparently they didn't find the helicopter before night.
Turkey and Russia are sending rescuers to help in search.

Top Bottom