Is He Really the First African American President?

American? check
Raisd by a single white mom and grandparents? check

difficult to get more white trash than that if you wanna analize it at that level.

See what I did there. Phrase a question right and you can get whatever answer you set out to look for.
Discussion doesn't have to be reduced to a lame soundbite or definitive answer. Merely exploring the question can be an interesting way of exploring the issue of race and peoples attitudes to it. Race is a far bigger issue in American society, language and politics than it should be. ....

I certainly see what you tried to do there, yet that example is just so horribly wrong. Your point, however, is taken. (More or less) clever little soundbite or no I stand by it: it is difficult to become more African American than actually being half black African and half American. If there is a list of racial prejudices to be checked off in order to qualify for the label I am not aware of it.

He's not really an African-American, we need some kind of term that distinguishes recent African immigrants from decesdants of African slaves who ended up becoming a distinct group. He's the first black president since most people consider being half-black "black".

Well, I like to see myself as a "Man's half white" kinda guy rather than "guy's half black", so I consider myself an optimist

Harding it is then. The first Black President.
But Obama will be the darkest skinned of all the White Presidents, which is something.

Top Bottom