1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this Queen Tamar?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ArallanKing, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

He would, yes. I hope it's an Incan leader, but if it were Huayna Capac, I'd be expecting a more sun-shaped crown, like this:-

Greywulf, stealth_nsk and Guandao like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I was thinking a depiction more similar to this:

3. Zelda1983

Zelda1983 Warlord

Yes,
    this headdress looks more similar.

And on this picture he has a more smaller face with cheekbones similarities.

Guandao and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  4. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Ah, nice finds! Hope somewhat restored...

Guandao likes this.
  5. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Why does every leader guess ends up with a blurry female photo <_<

Guandao likes this.
  6. Greywulf

Greywulf King

the crown in the burred picture doesn't seem to match
    Valid point, now looking at her. That crown especially doesn't match...

Well it's definitely a new leader. I'm liking the Dido suggestion, but if it is Dido, I really hope that they add her as the leader of Phoenicia. They always add Carthage, but Carthage was a colony of Phoenicia, and really Phoenicia is more historically significant.

7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Uh...what? Carthage conquered and colonized the Mediterranean, explored Africa as far south as Gabon, explored the Canaries, and traded as far away as Scandinavia. Tyre and Sidon didn't even dominate Canaan. Calling Carthage "just a colony of Tyre" is like calling the US "just a colony of England" or Russia "just a colony of Norway."

8. Greywulf

Greywulf King

Well maybe it is a bit like calling America a colony of England, but what that be an incorrect thing to state? Carthage was very impressive on their own right (which we must give some credit to Phoenicia for), however the Phoenicians (who colonized much of the Mediterranean, explored around parts of Africa, and may have traded as far as Britain) we can partially thank for our alphabet.
    If Dido is the leader however, it's most likely going to be Carthage anyway, as she is the Phoenician who is credited with founding Carthage.

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Having Phoenicia civ with Carthage leader and capital could be an interesting twist. We already have some creative interpretation of what civ is in Civ6 compared to previous installments - Alexander leading separate civ, Germany with HRE leader and Greece with Athens/Sparta options, so such Phonecia representation would fit.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  10. Greywulf

Greywulf King

Queen Dido was a Phoenician herself, but it is the fact that she founded Carthage that makes her more likely to be leader of Carthage specifically.

11. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Yes, calling the US just a colony of England would be inaccurate. While a great deal of chance was involved, I dare say the US is more significant on the world stage right now than our mother country (with no offense intended to England). The same was true of Carthage.

Well, strictly speaking, the Carthaginians always saw themselves as Phoenicians (Pōnnīm), even as late as St. Augustine. I'd like to see the Phoenicians included in the game, but they just don't have the charismatic leaders to make them a good fit for Civ6. In the context of Civ6, I'd much rather see Tyre, Sidon, and Byblos added as city-states and a non-Dido, non-Hannibal Carthage added as a civ. (I really do like Hannibal; I just don't want Carthage to be an excessively militaristic civ.)

Siptah likes this.
  12. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

You've got to admit though that a Hannibal led Carthage would make for a great double UU civ. Elephants are to Hannibal what the Rough Riders are to Teddy.

Alexander's Hetaroi and Zaarin like this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Further evidence against Hannibal, should Carthage appear: we already know that no R&F civ has a leader UU.

Siptah and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  14. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Right. Assuming we don't get them in R&F, I meant. I don't think we are, personally.

Zaarin likes this.
  15. Greywulf

Greywulf King

Indeed, America has long become more significant than England, although the two countries do have a strong relationship now and often seem to work as one.

If the Carthaginians considered themselves Phoenicians, then Phoenicia would be a fair title for them, although it might make it odd if they added Tyre, Sidon, and Byblos as CS as well...perhaps they would have them as Phoenician cities, even though the focus is on Carthage? Anyway, we will have to wait and see.
    And I agree, I'd rather Phoenicia/Carthage was not overly military focused this time, but more focused on trade and seafaring. Why not Dido though?

16. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

True, they considered themselves Phoenician; the Byzantines, Ottomans, and Russians all considered themselves Roman as well. Well for ethnic identity that might be fine, for sorting out historical cultures I think it's unhelpful. They may have still spoken a dialect of Phoenician and worshiped Phoenician gods, but culturally the Carthaginians were very different from their Canaanite forebears. I wouldn't call them Hellenized per se, but they were certainly influenced by Hellenic culture, as well as Berber and other cultures.

Why not Dido? I went over this elsewhere, but I'll reiterate it here. She is of very dubious historicity. She's attested only in Greek and Roman sources. And she's hardly a big personality compared to the Magonids, Barcids, and other later rulers of Carthage.

Siptah and MooFreaky like this.
  17. Cywil

Cywil Chieftain

18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Zaarin likes this.
  19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

20. Cywil

Cywil Chieftain

Because what I see is a beard:lol: