It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters
Well, I don't see this as much of a problem - I could see it becoming standard procedure for any opposition to a minority government to find the government in contempt of Parliament before future elections.

Arguable governments and prime minsters have held Parliament in contempt long before Harper.

Percentage doesn't quite equal seats, as we've seen many times, but who knows.

I do wonder if the FPTP system will spit out result that will please no one.

Doesn't it seem kinda like all of the projections about the Lib Dems from the last UK general election?

Paul Wells, a political journalist for Maclean's, has formulated this rule: For any given situation, Canadian politics will tend toward the least exciting possible outcome.

I was actually thinking he should take a trip to Mars... one way.
Why you hating on Zelig like that? :D

Seriously, though, is CFC a massively atypical sampling of Canada? If the Conservatives are gonna pummel everyone like is apparently going to happen, how come I never see any conservative Canadians on here?

Seriously, though, is CFC a massively atypical sampling of Canada? If the Conservatives are gonna pummel everyone like is apparently going to happen, how come I never see any conservative Canadians on here?

Maybe what I was saying here yesterday... It's not just on CFC. In Quebec anyway, try to find a voter who will openly admit voting Conservatives. Good luck. I could not even find one in the Maxime Bernier riding where I know a LOT of people. This was my riding for a long time. Maxime Bernier conservative man won that riding with the second largest margin in the whole country, it was over 20,000 I think. Yet everybody is like "bah they're all the same anyway" when I asked them who they were gonna vote for.

CFC has massively atypical sampling of people everywhere, it's not really atypical in that regard.

CFCAny internet website has massively atypical sampling of people everywhere, it's not really atypical in that regard.

Fixed this for you.

I highly doubt the conservatives will get a majroity, but they may still "win" even though they really, really should not.

Who the hell is Ralph Nader? Anyway, that is one of the concerns about harper.

American consumer rights advocate, also known as the guy who cost the country Al Gore as President, while running for the Green Party (irony!).

Having read his editorial here, I'm getting sick of the F-35 mantra. The planes will be bought eventually, no matter who forms a government.

American consumer rights advocate, also known as the guy who cost the country Al Gore as President, while running for the Green Party (irony!).

Having read his editorial here, I'm getting sick of the F-35 mantra. The planes will be bought eventually, no matter who forms a government.

Really, I don't see Jack layton laying out billions of dollars on fighter jets that will most likely suck.

Really, I don't see Jack layton laying out billions of dollars on fighter jets that will most likely suck.

Perhaps not F-35s (there are alternatives) but he'd have to replace the CF-18s eventually. Considering the total price isn't an up-front price, and instead is paid out over something like 20 years, it seems to be a distraction.

Oh, I thought you were referring to F-35's specifically.

Yeah, the CF-18's will have to be mothballed eventually. Hopefully we'll be able to get a good deal on F-22's or Eurofighters or something proven, instead of paying for something that isn't even past test flights yet.

Honestly I'd just dump the military entirely and put the money into more important areas like education, health care, disaster relief and search and rescue. However since that isn't realistic we do need new planes and they won't be cheap.

Oh, I thought you were referring to F-35's specifically.

Yeah, the CF-18's will have to be mothballed eventually. Hopefully we'll be able to get a good deal on F-22's or Eurofighters or something proven, instead of paying for something that isn't even past test flights yet.

Paying for F-22s would be about the single stupidest thing possible. They fill a role - air superiority - that we have zero need for. Moreover, you need special permission from Congress to export them, and while I don't doubt we could get permission, we'd probably have to grease the wheels down there.

Yeah, F-22s aren't what we need. But neither are F-35s, what with their short range and all.

Top Bottom