JC w/'mids, GW, 3 closest neighbors conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on G-d's green Earth are you running Police State while going for a cultural victory? PS is for warring, which you will be trying to avoid while going cultural. If you build mids, you should almost always go representation early.

And your scouting is a bit odd. You've sent your scout to explore around AIs north then way out east, but have lots of land close by that's still unexplored.

I think he wants to win a cultural victory by building every wonder in the game.

When I started out over 10 years ago there was a theory that maintaining a high power rating would prevent anyone attacking you. Presumably this is the logic of @King Younk ? Problem is the opportunity cost of building up a deterrent force is a big drain on your economy (which should be going all out for culture if that's where you're heading) is high and the military you build now will be rapidly obsolete.

Your situation doesn't look great for culture - food is poor and you would need to spam Great Artists to culture bomb your way to victory plus try and accumulate as many religions as possible for cathedrals/equivalent. If you want advice on winning, specifying no war limits what can usefully be added.

I'm trying to get better at immortal and transition to deity. The guide I have found most useful is https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/beginner-help-the-basics.648469/ . Alternatively search for Lain Civ 4 deity on YouTube, watch and learn. There are some older guides that are completely wrong and set me back badly - be careful what you read. The concept of financial/military/culture cities is not current. Good luck.

Why on G-d's green Earth are you running Police State while going for a cultural victory? PS is for warring, which you will be trying to avoid while going cultural. If you build mids, you should almost always go representation early.

And your scouting is a bit odd. You've sent your scout to explore around AIs north then way out east, but have lots of land close by that's still unexplored.
I'm running Police State for the next 100-200 turns so that I can strengthen my military after focusing on culture for so long (I do have predatory neighbors, after all). I will definitely do the Rep/Caste combination after that time.

I automated my settler, that's why that happened.

I think he wants to win a cultural victory by building every wonder in the game.
How should I do that? I know China's pavillion adds 25% culture, so I'll focus on that soon, but first...

how many cities should I try to build right now, and what is an ideal number for this game? 10? 15?

Alright, frig it, new game. I'm Pericles going for cultural victory. I only focused on food for the beginning, and it almost cost me my empire, but I was able to whip enough warriors to stave off the barbs. Now I have my own island with the mids, 6 cities in close proximity, and a bunch of jungle land I plan to settle later.

I'm going for cultural victory. What do?

upload_2020-4-12_4-28-40.png

Attachments

• Greece.CivBeyondSwordSave
    321.6 KB · Views: 72
Choose 3 cities for high culture. Probably Sparta, Athens and one other.

Tech to music ASAP. Try to attain as many religions as possible and build as many cathedrals or equivalent as possible in your high culture cities.

Probably build national epic in Sparta and run as many artists here as you can using caste system and pacifism.

Plenty of cottages in your other 2 chosen cities. Build culture producing buildings, culture and nothing else in them. Hermitage in one of your cities.

Avoid any wonders that produce great people other than artists.

Turn your culture slider to 100%. Save up your artists and when you have enough to take each of your culture cities above 150000 culture (might need to double check this is the right amount of culture to achieve legendary culture on marathon) build great works in them.

Building significant military will delay all of this so you will need to be careful with diplomacy.

I've gone culture victory a few times but I generally choose a different route so if anyone contradicts me, they're probably right :).

Hope this helps.

At various stages of this thread a lot of people were hoping the same.
Well, I'll have you know that I'm leading in the tech race on the world map as Elizabeth. I put out 5 cities and built mids pretty early, and improved all my tiles. Also built Colossus.

I've had to go along with ransom demands, but w/e, it was worth it. Here's an update...

upload_2020-4-13_20-27-54.png

upload_2020-4-13_20-28-25.png

Attachments

• England.CivBeyondSwordSave
    656.7 KB · Views: 56
I love the Earth map! It is also a nice stress reliever. Roll out the Earth map and play your favorite civilization and run the rest of the world over. Also, England is great! I have seen it ranked up there with Rome. What settings are you using?

Your city setup is almost the same as what I would do, except I put two cities on Ireland and one of them, Cork, gets the Moai Statues.

The next question is if you can reach Iceland from where you are now.

Louis is one of your best friends and he will build lots of wonders for you. Do you have plans to invade Europe?

Why did you have to give in to ransom demands? Who is going to attack you - and with what navy?

Also, 330 AD is so late!

383 turns over 90 mins. You spent 15 seconds on each turn. Likely why many are not posting advice here.

The problem is not really that someone is playing fast, it's more of what is causing them to play fast. The attention span of a goldfish.

You’ve just insulted an entire species, Sampsa :D

Fine, I'll spend more time and play with purpose, etc. I just fell off as England in the tech race since I was bogged down by 5 wars - 1 with France, 2 with Germany, and 2 with Aztec/America/Inca bloc. I picked up the Panama canal, Cuba, and an Incan city, but I'm pretty much f$&#ed since the Arabs are running battleships now.

I'm going to play a new game as Japan - can anyone salvage this old one as England?

Attachments

• England.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
upload_2020-4-15_23-11-31.png

Well, to everyone who doubted me... I got Mining by a goody hut so figured I should get BW after food techs - soon to get Calendar for the 4 luxury resources I can access and grow my cities to 7 or 9.

And I conquered China and picked up GW on the main Eurasifrican continent. Probably will wipe out GK next and found a blocking city toward Asoka.

I am almost complete with developing the Japanese mainland except for the luxury resources that I cannot access yet.

What should I do? I was planning on colonizing Australia first, but this room to expand on mainland Asia could really turn this game into something special.

What do?

Attachments

• Japan.CivBeyondSwordSave
    565.5 KB · Views: 76
Just conquered the Mongols and Chinese as Japan on the 18 civ world map. Economy is in shambles, but my tech and military aren't bad. That said, I'm hemhorraging money and don't know what to do now. Any thoughts?

upload_2020-4-15_23-39-29.png

Attachments

• Japan.CivBeyondSwordSave
    645.6 KB · Views: 60
Lol, my game is hilarious! I just gave away my two crummy, most expensive cities away to Hatty and Izzy to cut down on maintenance costs, only to see them be taken by barbs! Then I just reinvaded those cities and burnt them down! Now I am running 0% tech, but only losing 2 gold per turn, and have all of Asia to myself for about 100-200 turns I figure. I need to ratchet up the worker construction and cottage spam at this point, don't y'all think?

Moderator Action: Removed the bold, please do not yell at other members. Also changed inappropriate language without changing meaning. Please help us maintain a family friendly site. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
What year is it that you took over the continent and then decided it was time to cottage spam? The time to cottage spam was probably 2000 years earlier.

I'll say it again to help you.
Please start a standard sized pangaea map at normal speed. Turn off huts and events.
Post a screenie and the starting save and do nothing. Just wait for advice.
People will lose interest if you keep on playing these maps at lightning speed. We can't help you this way.
I suggest a new thread for the new game and keep that one focussed only on the standard game. The first 50-ish turns are the most important ones. I, for example, can play several hours before I even settle my 2nd city. I'm doing a lot of math and what ifs in the first turns just for fun.

wow @King Younk you seem to be more stubborn than I used to be in the worst times!
people say "please don't waste your time on marathon speed", you say "but i love marathon"
people say switch of huts/events, you do the exact opposite
people say "wait before settling your first city", you post an initial screenshot from a fully settled island and ask for advice how to win culture from there....

Sometimes, only sometimes, one should listen, that is the so-called communication (in old latin it meant "communire", build walls together :shifty: )

Btw, i can fully understand the need to do it "my way" and not to adapt myself just because others want me to do so... buuuut.... in that case one should write his own blog or open a YT channel, because a forum works differently! :nuke:

Last edited:
Alright alright - no goody huts, second smallest map, virginal game, pangaea. Here is...

upload_2020-4-17_15-40-14.png

Attachments

• Rome.CivBeyondSwordSave
    13.1 KB · Views: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom