[LP] Julius Caesar: First Look

That was my initial reaction then I played a game where my 4 warriors generated enough gold from barb camps to upgrade themselves to Legions ....

Even so, I am not at all sure this is close to as good as Trajan with the free monuments (which is a tad OP it must be admitted)
It's also a free one so I really should not moan about it (although I would still rather see bug fixes - for example, Rome should build roads automatically but if there is a sea route the road simply never gets built unless you do it manually (which would never be the case for Rome) and general trade routes will always use Sea routes if open, even if I would rather they did not use sea routes (barb boats are a huge issue early on).
There should be an option to assign either a land route or sea route on a case by case basis for traders of all civs, not just Rome.

Maybe we're underappreciating how strong the gold ability will be in the first two ages, and it explains why they took the wildcard out
I feel like if you're having a good start, this ability makes it better. Schwack a couple barb camps early, bootstrap yourself, then turn on your neighbor. But in practice that's going to be VERY "situational."

Looking forward to trying this, because I'm an early game warmonger, but it probably won't replace Gorgo as my favorite domination leader.

Taking cities will be better of course, but if you already have the army to do so, you don't need gold as much at that point.
Yep. As Potato McW said, this is a "win more" ability. You have to already be off to a good start for it to kick in.

If this has already been noted I apologise. Julius doesn't seem to get his gold bonus for dispersing the barbarian camp when Baarbarian Clans is enabled. He gets it ok without the Clans.

Disappointing, as I always like playing with the Clans.

If this has already been noted I apologise. Julius doesn't seem to get his gold bonus for dispersing the barbarian camp when Baarbarian Clans is enabled. He gets it ok without the Clans.

Disappointing, as I always like playing with the Clans.

He does get it with clans. It's just attached to raids instead of dispersal

Ok, I've got that now. But it makes the ability a bit underwhelming. You can only raid once every 10 turns, so it works out at a max 10 gold per turn, and to get that you have tie up several units surrounding the camp to deal with the constant spawning of barbarians (costing a good part of that 10 gold to maintain). And the 200 gold per city for conquest is useless in deity mode, where it's near impossible to conquer a serious number of cities until the information era, by which time 200 gold is petty-cash.

If the gold award was instead for dispersal of camps it would be seriously useful, as you get plenty of camps to attack in the early game (new ones appear whenever one is dispersed), which in the ancient to mediaeval eras would be well worth having.

Yes, this is a rant. I have to get it off my chest :D

Not only is 2K asking me to connect to it's stupid account for no good reason (I now the reason, and it benefits 2K greatly, but it's of no benefit to me), but the in-game mechanics of Julius are actually worse than Trajan's.

100 gold when clearing a camp and 200 gold for capturing a city? Trajan gets monuments for free, instantly. 2 culture per turn. From turn one. Each monument is worth 260 gold and is probably going to be one of the builds in any new city.

Every aspect of this deal can be summed up in one word: lazy

Tried him. Not impressed. The extra gold from barb camps is good for an early boost, but if you're taking multiple cities on Deity, you're already winning.

First game ended in a culture victory. Expanded aggressively, conquered four capitals. Had some amenity issues so spammed parks and ski resorts to counter but that was enough for a CV. The LA isn't very flashy but the extra money helped with building and maintaining/upgrading my army.

Not only is 2K asking me to connect to it's stupid account for no good reason (I now the reason, and it benefits 2K greatly, but it's of no benefit to me), but the in-game mechanics of Julius are actually worse than Trajan's.
So your complaint is you need to do something you don't want to do to get a leader you don't like? Seems like there's an easy solution to that ....

Played a few times today as Julius (on level emperor) but never had any success. Had to give up even before I was in the medieval era. AI is incredibly aggressive since the DLC (at least that's my impression) and I keep getting forward settled heavily despite using the BBS mod. I always tried to get to legions as fast as possible, but when the enemy has two archers (sometimes even crossbows) and two catapults for every legion I own, there's not much to be done. Julius Caesar is not a good civ for mediocre players like me, of course deity players will have no problem with him.

I found going for a warrior first and leveling up on barbs - focusing on getting the ranged defense ability, and using the first camp or so to rush buy an extra settler was critical, but he really depends on getting some early barbarians to farm. Snowball potential is huge though and it doesn't take much for the stars to align and let it happen.

I think his ability might be one of the best leader abilities out there TBH. But probably going to be underrated due to how un-flashy it is

So your complaint is you need to do something you don't want to do to get a leader you don't like? Seems like there's an easy solution to that ....

He has two points.

1. Linking your accounts allows them to data mine.

2. Julius Caesar is a poor design.

Both these points are true. *Shrug*

Just had Caesar question what my troops were doing so close to his borders. Is it just me, or did they miss a great oppotunity for him to say something like, "How dare you threaten to bring your army across the Rubicon?"!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
He has two points.

1. Linking your accounts allows them to data mine.

2. Julius Caesar is a poor design.

Both these points are true. *Shrug*
Regardless, it doesn't invalidate NZ's point - if they don't like the design and don't want to link to a 2K account, then don't do it. Problem solved. 🤷‍♀️

All ais do that even Caesar.

Yes, but they really should have changed his words to something a bit more ironic. It was there for the taking!

Top Bottom