• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[RD] Justice Department appoints Robert Mueller as Special Prosecutor for Trump Case

So it might have just been that the will of the people was being enacted by their elected representatives and that not everyone in the US is as runious and petty-minded as the RNC?
Not that either. It's that the will of the people was thwarted by unelected bureaucrats. The elected representatives, excepting President Obama, were never even consulted.

What makes you think that the Paris Accords matches the will of the people? It probably does not, but the 2018 elections will tell us for certain.

On looking closer at the Paris Accords, USA can withdraw at any point. The organization will simply not deem them withdrawn without formal notice. It was never binding in any event.

J

What makes you think that the Paris Accords matches the will of the people? It probably does not, but the 2018 elections will tell us for certain.

Wasn't there a poll saying 55% of americans wanted to stay in when 17% wanted to get out ? Or something similar

That's more like it. Current polls suggest over 50% of Republicans support action on climate change.

Which most people with sensible parsing of the English language would consider as "not withdrawn".
You're assuming Trump voters are capable of sensibly parsing English.

They don't know what "parsing" means. They think it's that bit of green restaurants put on you plate that you never eat.
Oh, and they don't speak "english", they speak "american"!

OK, resuming Public Discussion with the Moderator Arakhor:
The President is allowed to stop someone testifying against him??
The sovereign can refuse Royal Assent…
Yes. I did consider that, but that would cause a constitutional crisis. There seems to be no danger of that happening in the US though (at least, no more than usual for 2017).
From the Grauniad:

(…)There is speculation that the president might try to seek to invoke executive privilege to stop Comey testifying this week. Citing two senior administration officials, the New York Times reported that Trump will not seek to block Comey’s appearance. Trump spokeswoman Kellyanne Conway, however, would not rule out the option, saying it was up to the president to make that decision.

Executive privilege would be a desperate gambit. No president has ever tried to use it to stop a former official, who was willing to speak, from giving testimony. Richard Painter, who was chief ethics lawyer in the George W Bush White House, pointed out that having fired the FBI director, Trump has little leverage to stop him speaking.

“I don’t think that Jim Comey is going to give a rat’s behind about what Kellyanne Conway has to say,” Painter said.

In theory, Trump could get the justice department to go to court to get an injunction against Comey testifying, but government lawyers would face an uphill battle. The courts ruled in the course of the Watergate scandal that executive privilege cannot be used to hide inappropriate or unlawful conduct by the executive. And Trump himself has already put the substance of his conversations with Comey in the public domain by giving his version of them, claiming to NBC that the FBI director told him three times he was not under investigation.(…)​

Further down the article:

The White House has sought to block the congressional investigation of Trump-Russia links in other ways, taking the unprecedented step of instructing government agencies not to comply with requests for information from Democrats. But Trump cannot rely entirely on the loyalty of congressional Republicans. Most importantly, Richard Burr, chairman of the Senate intelligence committee, is showing growing independence from the White House. The most substantive evidence of that shift to date is the committee’s invitation to Comey to give testimony in open session.

There is also very little Trump can do to impede the work of the special counsel, Robert Mueller, who was Comey’s predecessor as FBI director and whose appointment to take over the Russian investigation was a direct and unintended consequence of Comey’s sacking.​

Also recommended reading: The investigations swirling around Donald Trump – a short guide.

I think Trump will invoke Executive Privilege at the last minute as part of his habit of always raising the stakes. Brinksmanship seems to have served him well as a "property developer", so it makes sense he would try and invoke it here.
If he doesn't invoke it, it will only be because White House Lawyers managed to lock him in a closet away from his phone for the week.

I think Trump will invoke Executive Privilege at the last minute as part of his habit of always raising the stakes. Brinksmanship seems to have served him well as a "property developer", so it makes sense he would try and invoke it here.
If he doesn't invoke it, it will only be because White House Lawyers managed to lock him in a closet away from his phone for the week.

This calls for defining "last minute," and I think it may have actually passed. He can't just tweet out "wait, executive privilege" late Wednesday night, though now that I think about it he may not realize that he can't. He would have to get the case in front of a federal judge in time to get a restraining order issued. He does have pull with the justice department, but even with that the wheels do have to turn, and they grind very slowly.

Honestly I just imagine him as Michael Scott in the Office, just strolling in and yelling 'I DECLARE EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE'.

Honestly I just imagine him as Michael Scott in the Office, just strolling in and yelling 'I DECLARE EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE'.

No doubt the right wing media would be all over it. "Despite a muffled shout of "executive privilege" from the oval office washroom evil lib'ruls allowed Comey's testimony to continue uninterrupted. We will now be having thirty-seven experts weigh in on whether or not this constitutes treason, and will of course not have time or space to report what the testimony actually was."

Honestly, even if he does invoke it I have a very hard time seeing him winning that in the end. I admit I'm not necessarily up on the jurisprudence of executive privilege, but I don't see how a president can completely block from testifying someone who no longer works for him, and who in both theory and practice operates completely independently from him.

I could see executive privilege applying to the content of their conversations, but that's about the extent of it. The privilege is only assertable as it pertains to information which the president uses to carry out his job. Comey's mental impressions about those conversations couldn't possibly fall under executive privilege. It might be a different story if Comey was still head of the FBI, but, well, Trump is an idiot.

The news in Españish-speaking media right now claims that he won't use the executive privilege maneouvre. Perhaps it's been explained to him that it would ruin his standing even more.

The news in Españish-speaking media right now claims that he won't use the executive privilege maneouvre. Perhaps it's been explained to him that it would ruin his standing even more.
And by "it's been explained to him" you mean... he heard it on FOX NEWS.

Top Bottom