1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #11: Darius I

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I'd continue on your warring ways. Who knows, you might win by the end of next round at this rate.

2. nbcman

nbcman King

@ Neal

If your economy can handle it, take out Egypt next-or at least take Thebes for the GW and the holy city. Siberia will be a breeding ground for barbs. I would get Writing next and either research or maybe Oracle for CoL.

3. ConsoleCowboy

ConsoleCowboy Chieftain

@nbcman: Are you... me? Or do great minds think alike?

Egypt at least has some "money-land". India without calendar will only drain you but actually I would let both of em build you some wonders first.

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I doubt it, since, besides the fact that Immortals can't swin :p , the greek UU eats Immortals at lunch ( insert "300" cheesy joke in here ) and I highly doubt that you could get to Rome or China using Immortals solely ( not mentioning Korea ).

The truth is that India should be your next target if you want to take them early. Unlike the Egyptians, they have metals and will beeline IW to chop those nasty jungles, so you can count with both spears and axes if you delay it too much. OTOH Asoka is not exactly a big menace and can be left alone to use his UU to make your conquest more profitable ( not mentioning that if you take India now, no one will compete with china for the Khmer land..... ). Ramesses is a card that you can take in or out as you please in the moment you want, so it is not a factor. But the fact that he has GW urges the capture ( can you see all the Eurasia barbies smashing against Rome or china? Or hannibal losing cities to barbs ( this one happened to me in my test game ) ? )

So, the options you have is to let India develop the land for you or take them down soon. Or, putting in other words, do you want to use Immortals on India or not?

5. Soirana

Soirana Emperor

declare on Greece. They are founders of judaism. There is a decent chance they do not have metals hooked.

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I gave a quick look to the game. 3 Visual reminders/advices:

Spoiler :

India is 3 turns away of settling the spices/cow spot near persepolis.
    Spoiler :

You need something to pop borders ;)
    Spoiler :

NO slavery? :faint: With red faces ? C'mon, whip them to mount a horse and fight for Persia. This is not Sparta :p

7. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

I'd vote for Rameses next, but I'd wait until he builds the 'mids for you. :lol: You'll need IW for that, though. Immortals won't cut it against WCs. Get pottery soon and cottage up Babylon. This game will quickly become all about the economy, and it's hard to imagine a better leader than Darius for that (unless he also had the Zulu UB :lol: ). After taking Thebes, I'd settle where Mecca usually is for a decent GP farm, and then head into Russia. In the area around Moscow you can build some incredible late-game hammer cities, and you don't want to cede those to Peri or (especially) Julius. With no marble I doubt you'll have a shot at the Oracle, so you should probably try to get to CoL via math-currency ASAP. It'll be a challenge, though.

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Immortals WILL cut vs WC as soon as you deny them horses :p

9. nbcman

nbcman King

Has anyone seen any WC yet? It seems that the AIs have not been building many defenders and maybe Ramesses has been putting :hammers: into shiny things instead of WCs.

10. Jaaboo

Jaaboo Prince

I actually think you should court Pericles' favor. He is likely unhappy with your next target due to religious differences and will also come into conflict with JC over all the phat loot in Europa. Let him be your western shield while you deal with Egypt and India.

Come Pericles, let us reason together. It would be a regrettable waste. It would be nothing short of madness for you, brave king, and your valiant troops to perish. All because of a simple misunderstanding. There is much our cultures could share. I am a generous god. I can make you rich beyond all measure. I will make you warlord of all Greece. You will carry my battle standard to the heart of Europa. Your Roman rivals will kneel at your feet if you will but kneel at mine.

11. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Immortal rush everyone! Just keep pumping them out, and conquer all of Eurasia and Africa!

12. Tyrant Roger

Tyrant Roger Warlord

Make Pericles your friend and western defender.

Take Egypt and cottage those flood plains for cash.

Settle Mecca, GP farm, and get economy on track.

Kill Asoka. Life is good.

13. fugazi

fugazi King

Take the Great Wall, cottage up.

14. IAM

IAM Emperor

Excellent round! Don't let the economy slip.

15. Bowfish

Bowfish Chieftain

This game looks like to be going through a popular route where you just smash everything on your path early on and then the game is just pressing Enter again and again... Could you give other civilizations a chance to evolve first? That way the game would be a lot more entertaining, and the challenge of Immortal would present itself.

16. Gagonite

Gagonite Irishman

I think that Neal smashing up his neighbors is actually preparing him for the hard times ahead, rather than allowing him to steamroll everyone. He's going to have a tough time facing Rome and probably later on, China or Korea. Removing Babylon, Sumeria, and probably Egypt will only allow him to keep up with his neighbors, not steamroll them.

17. Neal

Neal King of the World

I'm in agreement with Gagonite. Even after smashing my immediate rivals, there is a LOT of empty space on this map, and the AI on Immortal can fill it up much more quickly than I can. This isn't setting up for a cakewalk. This is setting up for a massive war of major empires.

That said, I think that Pericles needs to live, if only to check Caesar's expansion. I think it's time to shore up the economy while gazing hungrily to the east and south rather than riling up our western neighbors. I'm loving the monologue adaptation, Jaaboo :)

18. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

DAR SMASH!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Ok, I realize that isn't an interesting or useful post, so I will say this: Where is Ethiopia? It started way back with.... Lucy I guess, and still, the Civilization of Aksum existed before 1AD.
    When you do batter up Ramsey, will you expand into Africa? Because it will be completely empty and you will have the GWall.

Will there be a Medieval version following this??? ANSWER ME!!!!

19. Shoot the Moon

Shoot the Moon Playing World in Conflict

I sense an economy about to crash. You should start heading for code of laws after Iron Working and pottery I'd say.

20. CreeDakota

CreeDakota King

I wonder who founded hinduism.

I would want to avoid oracle COL. Hopefully Conf gets founded in the east and you benefit from the religious difference.