King of the World #11: Darius I

I sense an economy about to crash. You should start heading for code of laws after Iron Working and pottery I'd say.

Darius? Economy crash? Fat chance. :p Between financial cottages and cheap courthouses he'll be fine no matter what he wants to do.

This game looks like to be going through a popular route where you just smash everything on your path early on and then the game is just pressing Enter again and again... Could you give other civilizations a chance to evolve first? That way the game would be a lot more entertaining, and the challenge of Immortal would present itself.

What fun is that? We have a UU that allows us to destroy anyone that looks at us funny and economic traits that let us take as much land as we can conquer

But as long as Neal fills up the spaces recently filled by his old neighbors, his soon to be neighbors won't get to gobble up that juicy land. Without a fight at least.

Oh and to the person who said where is Ethiopia, yes there were kingdoms down in Ethiopia, but the kingdom of Ethiopia as the game knows it wasn't around till sometime after AD. I'm personally glad at this because we saw the monster that is Zara Yaqob last game.. :eek:

And with those being said.. Neal.. ON TO EGYPT! :ar15:

Its only 1900bc, plenty of time to take a bit of a rest and get the economy going and fill in the middle east. Egypt will most likely do nothing except build Neal some more wonders and MAYBE build a city at the bottom of the nile delta- with no readily available source of metals they are nothing to worry about until feudalism. India is also pretty useless at the moment cause its covered in jungle - let asoka research IW and clear some jungle for you before moving in. Barbarians are also nothing really to worry about - they can only attack from the north and a few units will deal with them comfortably. Take it a little bit easy or eurasia + africa will be conquered before AD!

As long as India hasn't IW, it is up for grabs. So is egypt, since it has no real access to metals, no matter what they research. The question should therefore not be, whether to conquer the one or the other but *when* to conquer them! Let egypt build some juice wonders first with it's access to stone! A free Great Wall or free Pyramids or even a free Stonehenge is always a good thing. Maybe India can be attacked and some Inventions blackmailed for a 10 turn peace - that would bring you on par with china & friends again.
So I say go and kill useless civs and let the wonderbuilders live for short while.
And by all means CoL slingshot ASAP!

I think Egypt has served its purpose. Thebes is too juicy a prize for a financial leader looking to cottage spam. The pyramids will not help as much (though they won't hurt). Asoka will be a harder nut to crack once he gets elephants and iron and longbows but he's got all that jungle to clear for you too.

Plus you want to stake your claim on northern africa sooner than later so you don't have as much cultural pressure on your new holdings from Carthage and Greece. Thebes makes for a good wonder city (okay its no Paris) so getting your own wonders there will help consolidate your cultural borders.

And by all means CoL slingshot ASAP!

Without marble, trees to chop, and any of the 3 techs needed for the oracle, this is probably not going to work (and Ram is IND, has marble, and the religious path enables his UB). :rolleyes:

All right. A short round, but I'm at a couple of big decision points, so I figured I'd come to you guys.

With nothing time sensitive to build in the beginning of the round, I decided to revolt to Slavery:

After all, what are the numberless nations of the Persian empire without the ability to build upon the backs of thralls?

IN 1725 B.C., our Immortals, growing restless in the dancing halls of Uruk, pored over their maps. They had heard much of the glories of Egypt to the south: fertile fields, the Holy City of Old Sumeria's meditative faith, and a talismanic wall against which no Barbarian could move.

Xerxes, too, grew grew weary of field-tilling. Some advisors begged for caution, but it had already been too long since he'd donned his war-chains and ridden around on his giant throne. The order went out, and the masked riders plunged into Africa:

The battle was fierce. The Egyptians had built fortifications, and their strength of faith and belief in Ramesses made the people themselves unwilling to submit.

Thebes' defenders, though, were Archers. Persian horsemen were trained from birth to flank bowmen and cut them down. Eventually, Thebes fell:

No shrine had been built to Ramesses' bizarre faith (who would seek solace in meditation as opposed to the blessings of their god-king?), but the Great Wall would protect Persia from the black-clad marauders as it had Egypt.

Tasting blood, and craving more, the Immortals swept southward, finding Memphis similarly unprepared:

Memphis held no wonders or even civic structures, but its presence on the Nile secured a southern border and its vast resources promised future wealth to come.

As war raged in Africa, Xerxes moved to ensure that the Arabian peninsula would submit to his rule:

The eastern deserts may yet fall to Barbarian darkness, but Mecca would serve as a rallying point to stamp it out.

An uneasy truce had settled over Egypt. The Egyptian people huddled in their final redoubt as Persian Immortals bound their wounds in Thebes. Finally, in 1425 B.C., the hordes were unleashed, and the name of Ramesses was scattered forever amongst the shifting sands:

Heliopolis was a weak city, subject to Pericles both in culture and religion. It would take too long to win their hearts and minds, too long to drive Greek ships from its shores. While an understanding of mysterious Judaism (which spoke blasphemies of a God greater than Xerxes!) would have been beneficial, the administrative headaches the city would have caused were too great. The Immortals tore through the city with torches, setting it alight and allowing it to be cleansed by fire.

A young Greek boy, living in Heliopolis, was spared. His name was Belisarius, and he was brought to Persepolis to teach the Persian troops the ways of medicine:

He was a wan thing, but skilled with his hands. He quickly became one of Xerxes' closest advisors, and Persia's greatest treasures.

So... Now it is 1400 B.C. We have wiped three empires off the map, and we have some decisions to make. First, we need a tech target:

Go down the Priesthood road for Code of Laws? Or maybe try the Currency route? Our economy is holding together better than I'd expected, though I admit, a crash is still inevitable without Courthouses.

Here is a glance at the Persian Empire, in both graphic:

and numeric modes:

Babylon will have its library soon. Mecca, meanwhile, does not need culture so urgently. It is under no border pressure, and most of its useful tiles are in that first ring.

How does the world view us?

Cautiously. Thankfully, Ramesses was something of a loner, so his death did not affect relations one way or another.

So, what now? Should I build cities? Improve the ones I have? Build troops and go off on another crusade to fill the coffers? Is it time for Asoka to lose his head yet? Is this whole "support Greece" thing worth the effort? Should we say "Eff the world" and adopt Buddhism? And why does our mini-map look like the rabbit mask from Donnie Darko?So many questions!

Here's the save:

I agree with Egypt. Puts the floodplains marble and stone in your resource closet, as well as extra horses for even more hammers. But really, Hammy and Gil must have had archers/bowmen! But seriously? Immortal difficulty warriors guarding in 2300 bc?

Go after Hannibal and settle Africa? That would secure a ton of land, and I did I mention the land is great for cottages??!

On second thought, that would leave all of Russia for somebody else, maybe settle Russia and then attack Hannibal afterwards with maybe... Knights upgraded with your Immortals. That way you could have Russia and Africa and disallow anybody becoming a power.

Tech; I'd go code of laws.

Inquiry: How far would you have to drop the science slider down to get positive cash flow? 20% research rate?

Attacking Asoka would give cities closer to your capital and would have lower maintenance. Could you scout out his territory? My first impulse is to establish some cities in the North but if Asoka is as weak as your other victims that may be too juicy to pass up. Heck I say settle North and let Asoka build some more stuff for you. Nice game!

A young Greek boy, living in Heliopolis, was spared. His name was Belisarius, and he was brought to Persepolis to teach the Persian troops the ways of medicine:
You should have settled me in Persepolis :D

Nice :hammer: at the Nile, onwards to India.

I would leave Hannibal to the African barbarians that will be directed to him due to the GW :mischief:. And don't expand into Africa/Russia since the barbarians are your ally this game. The barbs will hopefully slow the other AI's expansion into those areas and hopefully keep the other AIs weak enough to allow you to pick them off one by one

What relations does Asoka have with the other AIs? If Asoka hasn't hooked up metals, you should still be able to do another Immortal rush backed with some axes/swords. But as IAM has said, have you scouted India lately?

Treating India and China as future targets (near future, but future) is a good policy. nbc said it well - the countless hordes of Africa and Asia are now your allies in stemming your rivals' expansion. You already have the best of what Africa can offer apart from some of the gems and precious metals down the east coast which are yours anyway now. Hannibal may rise to attack you but its a long time coming.

Shore up your borders with Pericles. Invest in culture in Thebes and Eridu and befriend the Greek. Make him your shield in the west while you build up and deal with the Orient. With your newly acquired lands your tech rate will begin to climb. You should be able to catch India with her pants down soon.

Edit: Tech wise yes to COL - getting monotheism and/or monasteries up will help with your culture and help generate a priest for Thebes.

I dont think you need a war right now.

Asoka - Can you get him buddist before you kill him? If so then a series of wars to blackmail techs and get Diplomacy +'s could be a viable strategy.

I really think you want to get on Rome and Greeces good side. Go meet Carthage...maybe he is buddist and that would give you three a mutual enemy. I also would like to see if the Celts got Hinduism.

I would go religious line from here toward COL, but I would still be hoping Korea founds it.

Keep founding Select cities in both Africa and Russia,perhaps the Mali Flood Plains and Moscow? Let the crap sites of desert and tundra to the AI.

Top Bottom