Let's Play: Deity BC Space: Strategies from a 10 year veteran

Anyone see why I chose the Yellow roads? there are multiple reasons.

To destroy my eye sight? :) Aside from that I'm not sure. I don't know the order in which you will be building the roads and such, but if your workers are 2 tiles away it makes sense to move onto the FPH to road since it will save you turns later when you want to chop that forest. It also connects to multiple rivers which could provide trade routes and such after Sailing (i assume you wont have that until at least Alpha though). It could also connect with your other roads to help get units back towards France later.

Do you see why I don't bother to road the riverGold? even tho my workers were right there already (free move)

The road on river gold offers no movement advantage pre-Construction and the gold is obviously already connected via the river.

correct. After you teleport, you could be closer to a different city

Yeah, that's clear.
But this code then also enables that if your city A is closer to the origin tile, but your city B is closer to the destination tile, the code uses 2 different values for distance from nearest city during the calculations of a single option. Or am I mistaken here?

Yeah, that's clear.
But this code then also enables that if your city A is closer to the origin tile, but your city B is closer to the destination tile, the code uses 2 different values for distance from nearest city during the calculations of a single option. Or am I mistaken here?

You're mistaken. it always uses City A. B is ignored completely.

roads:
Yep, you guys got my point. River crossings are important in the road plan.

- Good point about Cuzco's units travelling down the Cyan path :think:. I might change the yellow.
The goal is first to connect the two cities for trade routes.
I was thinking that the yellow, if done in a timely manner, could be used to move from Hamburg-NW to Joao after attacking.
Also, I have a worker arriving there next turn on his way home for free, so I don't waste movement getting there and I don't waste a turn going back there to chop. (as Izuul pointed out)

I'm also confused by the yellow road; the only advantage over NW-NW I can divine is that you're more likely to want to mine the grassland hill in range of Hamburg. (oh, but I see you've already responded about yellow while I was writing this)

I'm also confused by the yellow road; the only advantage over NW-NW I can divine is that you're more likely to want to mine the grassland hill in range of Hamburg. (oh, but I see you've already responded about yellow while I was writing this)

I'm liking NW-NW more now. I'm interested in mining that hill for Cuzco soon too.
I guess the wine tile is ruled out for connecting trade rts.

I think Cuzco's next border pop connects to Hamburg along the river (once its conquered)? I can never remember the rules for river tiles on the outer border.

I'm spoiled by creative, normal speed, and non-Q warfare, so I'm not sure on the time frame of that pop.

The connection via NW-NW beats the wine too, because it makes for a shorter westward route from Hamburg by hooking up with the red line.

I think Cuzco's next border pop connects to Hamburg along the river (once its conquered)?

Yea, but like you suspected, borders won't pop until 300 culture. That's 150 turns :eek: unless religion spreads or I build a Terrace, etc. Either way, over 100 turns.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't taken Fred's 2nd worker.
It was #3, so I didn't know I'd get 2 more.
It would have probably roaded and finished Rice, so I could work the Rice immediately.

More bad Fred news. Hamburg is building a settler. I can't wait for it to finish. It's a shame the city didn't grow to size 3.

I'm considering leaving Fred alone.
Hamburg would only be size 1 with no Rice improved, but I would have trade rts +1 in 2 cities.
I can attack that in 3 turns.

Or I can go all the way to Joao, but it's only 7 and 8 turns. Lisbon is size 4 and has Crab. I could have Bronze and then Fishing by that time. Then I can go on to Washington before he gets metal, etc. Fred is no threat. sound good?

Hard to say without a map handy. It does seem a pity to go for an AI that is further away. Increased distance costs, no delayed trade routes, delayed attack, harder to optimize workers and units between 2 far-away city hubs.

But I get why you want to do it. Fred is about to settle a third city for you and Hamburg would auto-raze (can't tell because the rice icon is covering the city pop but I assume it's size 1 still)???

EDIT: How many hammers are in the settler? How long until it's done?

I would get Hamburg at size 1 (it's size 2). If not, then it's a no-brainer--I would not attack if it autorazes.

Settler only has 112h. I think too much knowledge in this case is a bad thing. I need to just forget about it and take it--the closest city. Then move to Joao as fast as possible.

You could also road Cuzco-W-NW to the gold, assuming you want to road that gold tile. That gets Cuzco units over the Cuzco river on the second movement.

Fred will OB at Annoyed so if you're lucky he'll consider that soon, then you could gift him a worker back hoping he'll improve the rice.

You're not in any hurry to capture all those gold tiles to the NE?

xpost: With 5 workers, you could conceivably improve the rice tile in 1t.

You could also road Cuzco-W-NW to the gold, assuming you want to road that gold tile. That gets Cuzco units over the Cuzco river on the second movement.

Fred will OB at Annoyed so if you're lucky he'll consider that soon, then you could gift him a worker back hoping he'll improve the rice.

You're not in any hurry to capture all those gold tiles to the NE?

xpost: With 5 workers, you could conceivably improve the rice tile in 1t.

OB Fred would be really nice trade routes. I might be past annoyed if I take Hamburg tho.

Fred built a 3rd worker in Berlin. I was hoping it would be settler there and worker in Hamburg. No luck.

rice farm is 15 turns.

golds in the NE look nice, but they're so far away. I've got golds in my corner to worry about.

oops...15t for rice farm...thinking Normal speed...does it really matter forteh analysis?

Spoiler :
You're planning to 2chop (=40h) the terrace and Hamburg will come out of resistance in 3t. The Cuzco-w chop could get the yellow road and an instant 4h mine to make up the difference on the granary. That gives you 4t to farm the rice and 4t complete the other chop:

25h + 5h + 5h + 5h + 5f1h + 5f21h + 5f1h + 5f1h + 5f1h = pop2 + 14f (full granary) in 9t

or instant rice patty:

5f1h + 5f1h + 5f1h + 5f1h + 5f1h + 3f45h + 3f5h + 3f5h (+ 5f1h) = pop2 + 17f (full granary) in 9t.

Either way, I don't see that Fred building the rice farm helps you any if you can afford to assign your workers to that task at that time.

(scream) Okay, I think I'll leave all the MM to you guys. Can't think with marathon speed. Never played it. :blush:

Ah ha. So insta-mining the plains hill gets the terrace done possibly 3t sooner, which means border pops 3t sooner. That might be worth more than the minimally extra food.

To me it seems like you want your first couple cities to be hammer cities, mass producing Qs. Hamburg can produce 8hpt at pop3. That seems pretty good. Is Lisbon, captured 7/8 turns later and coming out of resistance ~2t later than Hamburg, a producing sooner?

Which city produces units closer to ensuing action?

Settler only has 112h. I think too much knowledge in this case is a bad thing. I need to just forget about it and take it--the closest city. Then move to Joao as fast as possible.

That's funny. I know you're kidding about too much knowledge being a bad thing but I get your point.

Are you 100% sure it's a settler and not a granary or a barracks? In other words, you've been tracking hammer growth each turn and it has to be a settler.

Not knowing exactly how far away Lisbon is, my guess is that it would be a pretty big drain on your economy. Also, as LC said, which city will be up and running sooner. That's probably more important.

It's a settler.

Like I said, with a couple roads, Lisbon is only about 5 turns later than Hamburg plus extra turn of resistance.

Lisbon is definitely closer to the action. It's the center of the 4 AI I think I'll kill first.

Lisbon can also whip a Q, build another Q with overflow + get 30 gold. Much, much sooner than Hamburg could dream of building a Q. It will spend 15 turns just growing to size 2.

However, I could probably get Hamburg quickly, then use more roading to cut time off the trip to Lisbon. I think I'm grabbing Hamburg. By the time it's up and running, I'll be ready to send Q's to Berlin and then way up to NE.

Ah ha. So insta-mining the plains hill gets the terrace done possibly 3t sooner, which means border pops 3t sooner. That might be worth more than the minimally extra food.

Maybe u forgot I'm 8 turns to BW. then anarchy. Then 7 to Fishing (if I go that route), then Pottery (Terrace)

Top Bottom