List of Avaliable Fantasy Units

For Éa, of course. Reduced down to top 3 roughly in order of need:

skeleton warrior
goblin archer (matching the existing wolf rider)
orc axeman

Thanks for your efforts! Much appreciated.

Bad news. None of those load into blender properly. Neither does the Clan of Embers Goblin, Longbowman or Crossbowman. Wolfdog tells me many fantasy units have similar issues. Ekmek may be able to help me, but that will take a while. This is a hugely frustrating setback.
Is there anyone out there besides me trying to learn to convert units? I can't convert every unit in FFH myself. I've got to work on my own mods, and learn Lua, and I want to play civ too. Sorry if I come off as a little whiny. I had figured if I make all these unit threads and get the ball rolling then other people will try to help to. Well, I guess they have lives too.

Edit - Plus I'm gonna need to learn how to make mapscripts. FFH2 without the Erebus mapscript is . . . well it's still amazing. But the Erebus map is a must.

It takes 100s of hours to learn to do anything worthwhile. (Or 1000s ... that's how much I've put into mod programming.) Have you posted the specific problems (with files) in Deliverator's tutorial thread? I know Wolfdog and Ekmek are major contributors there, but maybe you will get help from the master of 3D graphics himself...

I'll trade you some coding time for some units, if that helps. No serious commitment. But I can usually whip up a Lua function in not too much time. (And the Éa dll now has an Animal faction and other things that might be useful for you.)

It takes 100s of hours to learn to do anything worthwhile. (Or 1000s ... that's how much I've put into mod programming.) Have you posted the specific problems (with files) in Deliverator's tutorial thread? I know Wolfdog and Ekmek are major contributors there, but maybe you will get help from the master of 3D graphics himself...

I'll trade you some coding time for some units, if that helps. No serious commitment. But I can usually whip up a Lua function in not too much time. (And the Éa dll now has an Animal faction and other things that might be useful for you.)

I don't know why I never thought to ask Deliverator, but that's a great idea.
I appreciate the Lua offer but I don't think I'll take you up on it, at least not yet. I will, however, download Éa and take a look at the files.
Modder Note: All of my effort now is on Éa III, Sword & Sorcery. Therefore, I'm only providing minimal support for the current version, and bug reports aren't particularly useful to me. There is a known problem where the current Éa II, v17, requires BNW and at least one other "pay DLC" to be installed, even though the mod disables them (I agree this sounds crazy). Éa III will require BNW (because it uses many of the new features) but not any other pay DLC.
The above comment made me think the current version was all buggy, so I never bothered to download it before.

It's not buggy, but it's also not a complete game. The mod's complex victory conditions aren't hooked up yet. The current (released) v17 might be interesting to you as a modder though: it really pushes the limit of what's possible without dll modding. Phase III will come with an extensively modded dll.

It's not buggy, but it's also not a complete game. The mod's complex victory conditions aren't hooked up yet. The current (released) v17 might be interesting to you as a modder though: it really pushes the limit of what's possible without dll modding. Phase III will come with an extensively modded dll.

The media pack is way too big. Every time I try to download it it stops downloading after about 2 hours. And when is Phase 3 gonna be ready?

Also, since the units you requested don't work, could you please send me few more requests? And send a bigger list please, in case some of those are buggy too.

That's most likely a browser limit:
Spoiler :
Just wanted to let you know that that worked. Downloaded and loaded. For those using Firefox, go to Options. Advanced. Network tab. Check the box for Override automatic cache thingy. And type in like 950mb or some such. Not sure if doing the same in IE will work or how to do it, but I'm sure its there.
For phase 3 I'll have an alternate download with the Media Pack split into five or six 200Mb pieces (the file size limit for free MediaFire account). But it's a pain to split up so that will have to wait. Hope to release an alpha for phase 3 in April.

I'll try to come up with other units. But I'm really in a bind if I can't ever have skeletons, orcs and goblins. I need some sort of undead that rises from graves, and I saw that Zombies has the same issues. And I want to add my Heldeofol race composed of orcs, goblins and similar (basically Clan of Embers).

Look through the 2nd link in my sig for other units that I need. There are a few links out to Civ4 units, but probably none that you haven't discovered yourself.

That's most likely a browser limit:
For phase 3 I'll have an alternate download with the Media Pack split into < 200Mb pieces (the limit for free MediaFire account). But it's a pain to split up so that will have to wait. Hope to release an alpha for phase 3 in April.

I think it's most likely bad internet connection. I'll move it closer to the router and I'm sure it'll work. But where's my unit request list?
Edit - Never mind the previous sentence.

@Bane, I'm working on the Vampire, hopefully he'll be ready soon.

That's great news. I'm currently reading the tutorials to help you (and the whole community) in this endeavor, but my keyboard is broken and it's a pain to use only the mouse, not to mention typing in Unified Remote's keyboard.

Not sure what Unified Remote is, but I'm really glad to see someone trying to learn unit conversion. Be prepared to ask the experts a few thousand questions.;)
I've updated my Vampire Swordsman mod. Now contains two versions, one with a shield - and one without. Sorry it took so look. Once again, Wolfdog helped out a ton.

Bad news. None of those load into blender properly. Neither does the Clan of Embers Goblin, Longbowman or Crossbowman. Wolfdog tells me many fantasy units have similar issues.
I have no experience with converting units to Civ5, but I know a way to at least load the unrigged model of these units into Blender. By using the Bone Weight Copy option in Blender, you should be able to rig it to a suitable Civ5 skeleton afterwards.

However, many of these units were created by swapping the head with Nifskope, which works for the unit itself, but is a nightmare once you want to modify the unit. I do not know how Civ5 handles these things, but you might need to attach the head to the rest of the mesh in Blender before you can use the unit.

Anyhow, to import the unrigged model you need to load it into Nifskope (Here is a list of Civ4 tutorials for Nifskope, some might be helpful for convertion to Civ5, too). Once loaded, you will have to remove the unit mesh from the unit file tree by setting the number of children of the parent NiNode to zero (do not forget to refresh with the green arrow symbol beneath):
Spoiler :

Then remove the whole unit file tree as well as all the (now) non-essential nodes within the unit mesh tree:
Spoiler :

Save the nif and it should now be importable into Blender.

If the unit was created by swapping the head, you will have to do the same procedure for the head to import it in Blender as well.

Attachments

• skeleton.jpg
    skeleton.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 331
  • basicskeleton.jpg
    basicskeleton.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 338
I have no experience with converting units to Civ5, but I know a way to at least load the unrigged model of these units into Blender. By using the Bone Weight Copy option in Blender, you should be able to rig it to a suitable Civ5 skeleton afterwards.

However, many of these units were created by swapping the head with Nifskope, which works for the unit itself, but is a nightmare once you want to modify the unit. I do not know how Civ5 handles these things, but you might need to attach the head to the rest of the mesh in Blender before you can use the unit.

Anyhow, to import the unrigged model you need to load it into Nifskope (Here is a list of Civ4 tutorials for Nifskope, some might be helpful for convertion to Civ5, too). Once loaded, you will have to remove the unit mesh from the unit file tree by setting the number of children of the parent NiNode to zero (do not forget to refresh with the green arrow symbol beneath):
Spoiler :

Then remove the whole unit file tree as well as all the (now) non-essential nodes within the unit mesh tree:
Spoiler :

Save the nif and it should now be importable into Blender.

If the unit was created by swapping the head, you will have to do the same procedure for the head to import it in Blender as well.

Thank you very much for your detailed post. I'm sure this will help me a ton:). I currently have an issue though. When I load the swordsman_fx file from the skeleton folder (btw, what's the difference between _fx units and regular ones?) I don't have all those things you have on the upper left screen (I don't know the word for them. Observe:
Spoiler :

Anyhow, to import the unrigged model you need to load it into Nifskope (Here is a list of Civ4 tutorials for Nifskope, some might be helpful for convertion to Civ5, too). Once loaded, you will have to remove the unit mesh from the unit file tree by setting the number of children of the parent NiNode to zero (do not forget to refresh with the green arrow symbol beneath).

If you have a difficult NIF you can just export to OBJ format from Nifskope and then do Wavefront .obj import into Blender. This will lose all the rigging (the assignments of mesh vertices to bones), but presuming you need to rig the model to Civ 5 animations that is made much easier by using the Bone Weight Copy technique anyway.

Thank you very much for your detailed post. I'm sure this will help me a ton:). I currently have an issue though. When I load the swordsman_fx file from the skeleton folder (btw, what's the difference between _fx units and regular ones?) I don't have all those things you have on the upper left screen (I don't know the word for them. Observe:
Spoiler :
You will have to give the "Name" column a bit more space. Best make area that is used for display the unit smaller and then move the border of the "Name" column to the right, making the "Value" column smaller in the process. Best compare your image with one of mine.

Otherwise I think Deliverator solution might work as well. You might have to remove some sub-meshes in Blender, but on the other hand you will already have things available like the new head or the weapons.

I don't understand this discussion, but I get a feeling that perhaps it's easier to create a new skeleton model than to convert it from Civ4...

I was under the impression that the final skeleton in a converted unit belongs to the CivV unit that you're using as a template (not the CivIV unit which is the source). Deliverator's suggestion (export to OBJ and then import OBJ into Blender and otherwise follow the tutorials) should deal with any skeleton-related issues you're having trying to import a NIF file into Blender.

I too would like to know a bit more about the way Nifskope filters what you're able to see in the skeleton panel. Because I found that which bones were visible in some models varied wildly depending on what I had selected, which was supremely unhelpful when I was trying to delete an arbitrary list of bones that were at different places in the hierarchy.

Top Bottom