LK150 - WM, Indonesia again

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
4000 BC (0)
After several rolls I finally got a start with food. Based on how tough the last one was, we can't afford a food-starved start.

I start a 40 turn run on writing. I've lowered the maximum research time with this one to help the human player. I should have done a long time ago.

2850 BC (23)
We meet India, but no deals are possible.

2750 BC (25)
We meet Persia, and no deals are possible again.
We also met China, and make a major deal. They get alphabet and pottery, and we get bronze working, masonry, warrior code and $10. We are only down ceremonial burial at the moment.

2630 BC (28)
The deal favors Babylon, but we give him alphabet for ceremonial burial.

2470 BC (32)
Once I can afford to take the game from Jakarta, this should be a nice production city. Right now 4-turn settlers need the game.

2230 BC (38)
We meet Egypt, but no trades happen.

2190 BC (39)
The expansion phase continues with another decent production city.

2190 BC (42)
Writing goes to Babylon for iron working and $47. It goes to Persia for the wheel and $3. We have a temporary tech lead.

This isn't something you normally see.

1910 BC (46)
We met a backwards Zulu. I'm not willing to give a tech up for just $10.

1750 BC (50)
It is still on the light side, but I give Egypt writing for $34.

Summary:
There is a Bangka just above Alaska. We should start getting contact with America civs soon.
There is a Bangka below South Africa. By working its way along the coast we should contact Songhai, and the European civs.

Jakarta is great for settlers, but horrid for workers. We need to find chances to peel workers from other cities like brand new Medan is doing.

Iron and horses are secured, and just need to be connected.

Surabaya should stay on Bangka duty until mapmaking makes those obsolete. To start expanding beyond our island, and to contact Australia, we need more shipping.

This is my short term city building suggestions.

ROSTER:
LKendter (just played)
Northern Pike (up)
Greebley (on deck)
Commando Bob
Elephantium

Attachments

• LK150-1750 BC.SAV
    391 KB · Views: 230
Looks like a great start. :goodjob:

I've got it. Everything has to be considered carefully at this stage, so I probably won't finish tonight.

I understand the careful comment. I spent an hour+ for the initial turns.

Bandung has two forest to chop including the game to irrigate. Let us get something big built there (temple?).

Good luck guys and have fun!

By the way, Indonesia sure looks funny with Java and Sumatra being one landmass. Make sure to name the northern city, Banda Aceh.

Look like a much better start than last time. At least you have the major ressources secured. Now I hope you guys manage a large enough foothold in Asia, to better keep up with the pace of the game.

Good luck guys and have fun!

By the way, Indonesia sure looks funny with Java and Sumatra being one landmass. Make sure to name the northern city, Banda Aceh.

Better not look at the Philippines in this version. ;)

Make sure to name the northern city, Banda Aceh.

Unfortunately I played before I saw this, but the next player can definitely re-name Depok Banda Aceh. :cool:

1750 (0): We can afford Mysticism, but it would be a pointless onefer.

I won't hurry to hook iron up, since it would take us far too long to build swordsmen right now. We need some cheap warriors.

Surabaya Bangka --> Bangka, Bandung worker --> warrior.

1725 (1): The Babylonians have HBR, but we can't afford it.

1700 (2): We buy Mysticism from Egypt for 405 gold; send Mysticism and 10 gpt to Persia for HBR; and sell HBR to Egypt for 327 gold.

Jakarta settler --> settler, Surabaya Bangka --> Bangka (build speeded up by forest chop).

1675 (3) - 1650 (4): Not much.

1625 (5): We found Tangerang on the Malayan gems site.

Bandung warrior --> warrior.

1600 (6): Jakarta settler --> settler.

1575 (7): We found Depok on the iron site in NW Sumatra.

We meet the Sioux in Alaska. They have eleven cities--all their own, so far, not America's ;)--but they're slightly behind our area technologically. They can only give us 49 gold for a tech, which I decide isn't enough when they could in principle come up with a tech we don't have.

Surabaya Bangka --> Bangka, Bekasi warrior --> warrior.

1550 (8): We get a Bangka headed towards New Guinea and Australia.

1525 (9): Bandung warrior --> barracks, Medan worker --> warrior, Tangerang warrior --> warrior.

1500 (10): Jakarta settler --> settler once we hit Enter.

The island life:

We’re working on settling Borneo. The settler already on the island should found a city at 1 on the screenshot, and the settler about to complete in Jakarta should found at 2.

Our land-grab with settlers produced every four turns in Jakarta is going well, so we should continue to use Jakarta as a settler pump for some time, even though our shortage of workers is irksome.

We're tied for the tech lead amongst known civs, so there are no deals in play. All we can do is check every civ every turn.

The Indians will sell a worker (a Persian one, if that's significant) for 134 gold, but I don't think we can risk sending away gold we may need for a twofer. Opportunities to get workers for techs will occur eventually.

Bandung is building our first barracks, with the aid of a forest chop. When the barracks is finished, by which time we'll have a few more warriors, we can think about hooking up the nearby iron.

The Bangka off Bekasi is heading east to New Guinea, then south to Australia.

Our exploring warrior in Indochina can turn north now, and might even make some contacts.

Nice to see two more cities placed, and more on the way. We will need to explore toward Philippines to map more out. We lose our advantage of early shipping once map making is known. OTOH we need map making to get gems on our network and other resource sharing among islands. Along with having two cities that need harbor to maximize fish to work all those hills.

I agree the lack of workers is frustrating. We will have to keep looking for changes to peel like I see you are doing in Depok. In addition, I hope at some point we can trade tech for workers. That can be the best use for those backward civs.

The barracks is nice, as at some point we need more than regular warriors. Even spears are helpful, as we do need to eventually up our power.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Northern Pike (just played)
Greebley (up)
Commando Bob (on deck)
Elephantium

I had a thought. In the past we have gone for a wonder - the great library is very strong - allowing the player to save up a good bit to stay up in tech.

I think we have a decent chance of getting a wonder if we try and Surabaya is a good city to try in.

What do you think? Here is a picture of the city in question: higher shields and faster growth.

In any case I wanted to discuss before doing it. I am in favor but it can be a bit of a gamble. However with the palace to fall back on we could do it.

It really solves the issue of spending vast amounts on tech and falling behind badly like last game if we got the GLib and have the palace to try to get some tech. Also the fact we are disconnected means spending a lot on early units for an offensive isn't likely to happen - and need less shields for units early on.

What do you all think? I will play later after ppl have had a chance to speak up.

If nothing else its different and is trying a new strategy (or rather an old one that has worked well in the past but not always).

I can't look at the save right now, so I may be missing some nuances. But as long as we continue to found a new city every four turns, a big build in Surabaya should at least let us have the Forbidden Palace at the right time, as I assume you mean by "the palace to fall back on". That would be particularly useful since with this geography, we can't count on building the FP in good time with a Leader from an early war. So, I'd like to try it.

Do we know how many cities we need to start the FP in this mod? That's obviously relevant information.

IIRC OCN is 32. Is the FP available at 1/2 that number?

Top Bottom