Lord of the Rings The Return of the King

A hobit movie would be wonderful. Books a 10, movies 8 and below. Some stuff should never of been cut out, I don't mind the added stuff but geez almost all the really interesting parts of the books aren't in the movie

Originally posted by h4ppy
I would give it a 7. His political undertones are really annoying and I find fantasy books with elves and stuff to be overdone and rather boring. That said, "The Hobbit" was a good book which I enjoyed.

Political undertones? Where? You should really read the foreword sometimes, he says, and most agree, all political undrtones are perfectly coincidental.

Originally posted by Matrix

You should hear out my girlfriend. :rolleyes: (I don't mind though. ;))

Ha ha! :lol: The ladies love Aragorn!

Aragorn in the movies scares me for one reason: my mom thinks he's hot! GAH! MY MIND'S EYE!

Originally posted by Noldodan
Aragorn in the movies scares me for one reason: my mom thinks he's hot! GAH! MY MIND'S EYE!

Your mom is a very smart woman. ;)

Looking forward to it. Read all Tolkien's books many times.

Movies. Fellowship was a 7.5, bumped up to a 9 in the extended version. Two Towers - 5 at best, hopefully 6 with bonus scenes. WTF did they make Gimli the comic relief ? "Never toss a dwarf ???"

Hopefully, Return of the King can recover and round out the trilology in great form...however more is always better, can't wait for RotK DVD with bonus scenes :king:

Fellowship 9. Two Towers were faulty towers, and come in at 3.5-4.

As a reader of fantasy books I find LOTR a touch disappointing - bit too long and with a poor ending - so the book gets a 7 from me. The first film was ok (too many pointless changes) so only 6 - the second film - I've got the DVD just haven't watched it yet...

I've bought the books a few months ago and will start reading them when I've seen the last movie. I did read The Hobbit and loved it so I'm really looking forward to reading the other three books. :)

The books are better than the movies, as always.
The thing is that Tolkien has taken close to all of the stories from old Norse mythology, a very long poem named Eddan.

The movie The Two Towers was a bit of a let down... Not the same atmosphere as in The Fellowship...

Originally posted by h4ppy
I would give it a 7. His political undertones are really annoying and I find fantasy books with elves and stuff to be overdone and rather boring. That said, "The Hobbit" was a good book which I enjoyed.

Before Tolkein 'elves and stuff' were hardly overdone. After LOTR, you had all those copy artists (Terry Brooks anybody?) who flooded bookstores with 1000-page novels too boring to read the cover decription, let alone the contents.

@ Noldodan

how about the blatant anti-orcism demonstrated by Tolkein throughout the novels?

I agree, what politics?

i dont see any politics in these books unless you feel Tolkein is advocating monarchism? some parallels have been made with WWII, but I feel they break down under close examination.

I have all of the books and several of the related stories, including The Hobbit, The Simarillion and The Tolkein Reader. I like all of the books although the LOTR sometimes did tend to drag on a bit. The movies are excellent. They have taken some license, but it's creative and well-merged in.

Well, he obviously makes some social commentary about the policy of letting 'evil' go unwatched or unbordered for too long a period of time. This is probably the result of his experiences from WWII.

If you want to add racial interpretations into the mix, he does tend to make the enemies (orcs, goblins, Gollum, Uruk-Hai, even Sauron) black and dark. The armies from the South going in to support of Sauron are all specifically described as dark skinned humans in his books.

Politically, I wouldn't be surprised if he did support, not-so-deep-down, Monarchy. He was known to be relatively conservative in some views and certainly was a man of a different age than now. I can see how this could be drawn from his fictional writings. Note how he describes the Royal lineages as tall and strong and long-lived. As if there truly is some sort of inherent quality to these people, these bloodlines, that make them somehow superior.

Some of this is flushed out of the movies. Some isn't.

I started out and it was one of the best books I've ever read.

Then I got to Tom Bombadil

I immediatly threw it away and swore not to ever read it again.

Thankfully, the movies skipped over that idiot.

@Happy: What were the political messages :confused:

The books are always better than the movies. But the LotR movies are closer to the books than just about any other movies based on books. What's wrong with the second movie? It was fine entertainment and close enough to the book.

Originally posted by aaminion00
I started out and it was one of the best books I've ever read.

Then I got to Tom Bombadil

I immediatly threw it away and swore not to ever read it again.

Thankfully, the movies skipped over that idiot.

@Happy: What were the political messages :confused:
:( I missed tom bombadil :(
i wanted to see him put the ring on his finger and have it do absolutely nothing.

and where was the singing of all those wonderful songs (ok this bits sarcastic :))

and how did they make it to Bree in less than a day?

and they overdid Arwen far too much. this is only FOTR, i'm not even TOUCHING the two towers.
movie wise, FOTR gets a 7, two towers gets a 5 and i'm being nice. (no matter how hot aragorn is :))

and i'm kind of looking forward to/dreading return of the king. they've already cut the scouring, which i thought was a great ending :( They'll probably have arwen come along and kill sauron and save the day or some rubbish. i hear that they aren't going to use the dunedain either :( also faramir's character has been made a lot less good than he was in the books.

needless to say i'm a big fan of the books and some parts of the movie should just not have happened.

Top Bottom