• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Lords of the Rising Sun (Pre-NES)

edited

I'm considering playing but the whole small font rules are very irritable to read. And I don't think espionage and sabotage/assassinations need be expensive, just their success chances need to be a lot lower, unless the player has invested considerably in developing a spy network.

Considering a small/medium clan, tie into someone as a vassal and do their bidding. Who'll have me? :p

Hm, isn't the font for the rules actually larger than this font? At first it was tiny, but I edited it a few days ago to make it larger.

I am thinking of taking out clear, concise espionage rules altogether, and allowing players to factor that into their investments and build such networks - then attempts at espionage I can give case-by-case percentages of success/costs, making it much more attractive in my opinion.

New espionage/ninja rules so far:
Ninja: Ninja are capable of espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, and any combination of any of those. Assassinations can and will occur throughout this NES, though usually not of main daimyo (rather, daimyo's heirs, and other important people). Please, do not go around trying to assassinate just to assassinate. An assassination should have a clear purpose and be strategic in some way. You can even assassinate someone within your clan to weaken a faction. An extremely well-funded and well-planned assassination will do what the aggressor wanted it to, including making it look like the work of another clan or perhaps a death by natural causes. A poorly-funded and/or poorly-planned assassination may fail altogether, obviously have been ordered by your clan, or might even assassinate the wrong person. Ninja are not a military unit to be bought or purchased. Rather, ninja operations have their own one-time prices. These are divided into two areas: success and secrecy. Success is the chance the operation will actually work, while secrecy is the chance the operation will not be revealed to be your doing. Ninjas should be funded from your military budget. When you propose a mission to me, you should make your case to me, tell me why you want to do that, and I will tell you its chances for success and price. Ninja operations are not clear-cut. You can be creative with it. During this time period, it could be used for something as minor as sneaking behind enemy lines to see their formations, discovering future war plans and strategic movements, framing, assassinating, destroying a bridge, and so on.

Hm, isn't the font for the rules actually larger than this font? At first it was tiny, but I edited it a few days ago to make it larger.

I am thinking of taking out clear, concise espionage rules altogether, and allowing players to factor that into their investments and build such networks - then attempts at espionage I can give case-by-case percentages of success/costs, making it much more attractive in my opinion.

I don't know...the first few posts (rules and stats) are in a ridiculously small font for me but the rest of your posts are normal.

That would make more sense, spies or at least informants were common in courts everywhere in the world, trading information for small pouches of gold. Sabotage and assassination would require considerably higher payrolls and/or trained men.

I guess I will take the Satake.

I'm considering playing but the whole small font rules are very irritable to read. And I don't think espionage and sabotage/assassinations need be expensive, just their success chances need to be a lot lower, unless the player has invested considerably in developing a spy network.

Considering a small/medium clan, tie into someone as a vassal and do their bidding. Who'll have me? :p

You can be my vassal, if you like- though the consequences of disloyalty will be destruction.

EDIT: If you want to take that option still, I'm willing to be lenient if you're disloyal as a clan that doesn't start off Hojo.

Oh, another interesting clan would be the Matsunaga. The current daimyo was a schemer, something of a villain - but technically he is a Miyoshi retainer. Scholars now accuse him of something like nine assassinations, if I remember correctly. Just look up Matsunaga Hisahide. You'd be starting out in the process of absorbing Yamato province.

I don't know...the first few posts (rules and stats) are in a ridiculously small font for me but the rest of your posts are normal.

That would make more sense, spies or at least informants were common in courts everywhere in the world, trading information for small pouches of gold. Sabotage and assassination would require considerably higher payrolls and/or trained men.

Hm. Weird. I made it about as big as your signature. But initially it was quite tiny, I remember. Is anyone else having this problem?

@GamezRule: OK! Should be interesting.

EDIT: If you want to take that option still, I'm willing to be lenient if you're disloyal as a clan that doesn't start off Hojo.

Would be difficult if he is a clan currently supporting another clan, though, because suddenly switching loyalty to you will put that clan in disarray for a time.

Matsudaira is the most interesting clan which is tied to another, for reasons kkmo has already mentioned.

He probably doesn't have the font that you used installed on his computer, so that's why it looks so small for him.

I think the maps look great, by the way. The new ninja rules are also much better and less game-able.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned Mastudaira is still open because Omega hasn't laid an official claim to it or anything. They have the potential for a lot of fun and can immediately change history from the get-go.

Thanks Kraznaya. Yeah when I looked over the spy rules, I thought they were a little bit too number-y, with not as much flexibility as ninja should have.

Ah, I see. I will change the font.

Hm. Weird. I made it about as big as your signature. But initially it was quite tiny, I remember. Is anyone else having this problem?

@GamezRule: OK! Should be interesting.

My signature is normal size, only the font is Book Antiqua, so that's why it seems small. But looking at the formatting it seems you put the rules/stats in size 3 (Garamond font and that is why it's small to me.

I'll be taking Matsuidara then. So small it doesnt even have an army. Perfect :lol:

My signature is normal size, only the font is Book Antiqua, so that's why it seems small. But looking at the formatting it seems you put the rules/stats in size 3 (Garamond font and that is why it's small to me.

I'll be taking Matsuidara then. So small it doesnt even have an army. Perfect :lol:

I haven't put in the army stats yet. :)

Are the rules larger for you now? I changed it to Times New Roman.

I haven't put in the army stats yet. :)

Are the rules larger for you now? I changed it to Times New Roman.

It's much more readable. Thank you.

Oh wait...I confused Matsunaga and Matsuidara. I don't want to get Tokugawa killed by my unskilled hand >_> I'll be grabbin Matsunaga then.

It's much more readable. Thank you.

Oh wait...I confused Matsunaga and Matsuidara. I don't want to get Tokugawa killed by my unskilled hand >_> I'll be grabbin Matsunaga then.

Sounds good! I'm happy someone took them. I've been getting more interested in that clan in the past few weeks thanks to a friend of mine. There isn't a whole lot of info known about them actually (except for entire books written about the fact that their daimyo may have assassinated small Miyoshi children), which means you have a lot of options for what you can do, that the clan chose to never do (or even thought about). germanicus is the Miyoshi, so you'll be talking to him a lot - that much is for certain.

Ok! I added an excerpt on castles to the rules. Can't forget about castles!

I would like some feedback. Do you think the spending 'system' is a bit too limiting? Perhaps I should just let you all spend your koku, without lumping that spending into those categories...? The reason I wanted the categories and %s is to represent the importance you place in certain areas and to force you to think about all of those issues within your clan. But I think it is kind of restrictive also, and if you all are smart, you'll pay attention to those issues any way. Naturally, some spending issues might overlap in those categories, making such categories even more problematic (actually, castles come to mind, because while they are military outposts - they also served other purposes such as great banquet halls for guest lords, happiness-creators for villages nearby, etc).

So what say you all on me abolishing those strict budget requirements in orders, and allowing you instead to just tell me what you are spending koku on and how much koku you are spending?

Top Bottom